• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Why Is it so hard to find a simple air temperature gage?

rlievenski4555

I would like to find a small, round, digital thermometer to stick over the blank opposite the power receptacle on the gage cluster. I found one but it is only available in Celsius. Several water temperature gages, but not a simple thermometer. Also found one that has rh%, which I do not need. Would be great to have lcd to match the other gates. Does anyone have any links on this or ideas? Thanks in advance!

Casio makes solar powered PROTREK watches that display everything except winning lotto numbers.
The model I use displays TEMP, ALT, BARO, and Compass. You could remove the wrist band and mount it on the dash.

I have a small velcro system for mounting an analog watch over the blank on the left side. But, I suspect if I did the same with my PROTREK watch, the temperature would be incorrect as it it slow to change and if the sun hits it, it would heat up rather quickly.

Are you wanting to measure road temperature, engine temperature, or something else?

There are also many small aquarium thermometers that have external probes.

Here is an analog model

Last edited:
Casio makes solar powered PROTREK watches that display everything except winning lotto numbers.
The model I use displays TEMP, ALT, BARO, and Compass. You could remove the wrist band and mount it on the dash.

I have a small velcro system for mounting an analog watch over the blank on the left side. But, I suspect if I did the same with my PROTREK watch, the temperature would be incorrect as it it slow to change and if the sun hits it, it would heat up rather quickly.

Are you wanting to measure road temperature, engine temperature, or something else?

There are also many small aquarium thermometers that have external probes.

Here is an analog model
I just want simple ambient temperature of the outside air. The aquarium units I found are too large and/or require the press of a power button for display. It would be ideal to find a black unit that is 1.5” (40mm) in diameter. Even thought of a meat thermometer… but the same issue of being too big and/or requiring a power button activation. I do like the watch idea and will look into it. Thanks

Mounting thermometer without a remote probe will not give you accurate ambient temp. Heat from the engine builds up under the cockpit and sunlight shining on it will make it register way high. I had a digital thermometer mounted on my left cockpit cover with a probe positioned under the lower chin plate.

Did the 2009 not have outside temp available as a selection on the display console? Or do you prefer a full time temp display? I've seen analog dial type meant for handlebar mount that may be adaptable to the panel mounting marketed toward cruiser crowd booths at Americade and other bike event vendor areas.

Did the 2009 not have outside temp available as a selection on the display console? Or do you prefer a full time temp display? I've seen analog dial type meant for handlebar mount that may be adaptable to the panel mounting marketed toward cruiser crowd booths at Americade and other bike event vendor areas.
I have a clock… but do not see a temp reading with any of the options chosen.

This looks like a shoe-in.

temp.jpeg

The face measure about 45mm across, so the back would pop into about 1.5" hole. Switch on back to select C/F.

This one has an external probe. But, you have to buy 100 of them. :(

Last edited:
This looks like a shoe-in.

View attachment 32750

The face measure about 45mm across, so the back would pop into about 1.5" hole. Switch on back to select C/F.

This one has an external probe. But, you have to buy 100 of them. :(
Thanks Scarry Harry! I saw these and only wish that the temp were in large font with rh% smaller. Going to try the suction cup unit I posted because temp in larger. Will definitely go with the option you link to if it does not work out.

If it were me, I'd be using the Casio solar PROTREK. Swiss Army knife on a wrist, mounted on the dash. The battery operated gadgets are pretty neat until they die. Then, you start scratching your head wondering, "what was I thinking?"

This is a fun farkle I use on the road. I removed the watch band and added a velcro loop on the back. The metal key-ring clip just clips into the horizontal slits just above the left side plugged round hole. It just hangs there over the plug. I like to glance at the analog time without rolling through the dash display. I may replace this watch with the Casio MUDMASTER or PROTREK now that they have solar power versions.

watch.jpeg

Impossible to have too many gauges on the dash, right?
The belt clip allows you to take it hiking as well. Neat stuff.

I received my terrarium thermometer on a suction cup today. The suction cup is small enough to stick well to the blank that is opposite the power receptacle. I need to road test it… but really like the look of it so far.

Attachments

• A725A58F-2180-4EEF-9A8D-5A4C376D2F6A.jpeg
    A725A58F-2180-4EEF-9A8D-5A4C376D2F6A.jpeg
    164.4 KB · Views: 111
I received my terrarium thermometer on a suction cup today. The suction cup is small enough to stick well to the blank that is opposite the power receptacle. I need to road test it… but really like the look of it so far.
I ordered one of these and took it for a 100 mile test ride. I placed it as rlievenski455 did. I started out at 88 F on the open highway. after 50 miles or so I got stuck in some stop and go traffic in the city. The gauge got up to 108 F at one point. I believe the ambient temperature was 92 at most. I am pretty sure the gauge was affected by heat build up from the C14 engine and possibly the sun shining on it. The unit works well as long as you are on the open road so for $10 it is a good deal.

Have used Blue Sea gauges several times. Maybe be too large for your application as you have to install like most USB ect. outlets?? IMO...good pieces

I got one exactly like this a long time ago for my C-10, it was black faced and used adhesive to mount, not sure if they still sell it anymore, it would mount perfect on the C-14 where you are talking about.

I will second the vote for Blue Sea Systems gauges. I've used their voltmeter and USB chargers, they've been of excellent quality. Designed for marine applications so they are weather resistant and made to handle vibration. Most of their products are available in the common 1-1/8" hole size.

This temp gauge's probe can be extended so you could run it up to the nose area: https://www.bluesea.com/products/1741/Mini_OLED_Temperature_Monitor_-_Yellow/FAQ