• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Why would a 2007 1250 Bandit engine seize?

Bud

This bike has done a bunch of sitting in my cousin's garage. He said it wouldn't start 500 miles ago. Took it to a shop and they rocked it back and forth in gear and got it running again. They changed the oil and sent him down the road. A few days ago, it did it again. It's at a different shop and the mechanic says it is seized. Talked to him on the phone. He sounds like a good mechanic and decent enough guy. It sounds like it's time to get rid of it. He can't fix it and doesn't want to spend more on a losing proposition. Did sitting kill this bike? Any ideas why this thing locked up?

I have one sitting in my garage. Solid, modern, water cooled. Should not seize unless severely run low on oil or coolant or both. Probably lots neglected like chain, neutral switch. I do not trust any newish shop mechanics, they are the same guys who could not figure out why a 2006 GSXR-600 would not start for three months, I went to it, turned the TOD the right way up, and it fired up. SMH. Sitting kills!!

I have one sitting in my garage. Solid, modern, water cooled. Should not seize unless severely run low on oil or coolant or both. Probably lots neglected like chain, neutral switch. I do not trust any newish shop mechanics, they are the same guys who could not figure out why a 2006 GSXR-600 would not start for three months, I went to it, turned the TOD the right way up, and it fired up. SMH. Sitting kills!!
This isn't a newish mechanic. I talked to him for quite a while. He talked about working on GS1100 Suzukis so he must be somewhat close to my age. As for the bandit being a pretty bulletproof bike, I agree and was shocked to hear anything about it being locked up.

Does it roll when the clutch is pulled in? it's not uncommon for clutch plates to stick, preventing shifting and the bike is locked in gear.
Thanks Steve! I forgot about that one. I will call again and ask. If anyone has more questions that I didn't ask, throw them out there. The bike is in Reno. If someone here doesn't have an answer to get this going, I'm sure he'll sell it. He's not mechanically inclined. Thanks to everyone for the help!

This bike has done a bunch of sitting in my cousin's garage. He said it wouldn't start 500 miles ago. Took it to a shop and they rocked it back and forth in gear and got it running again. They changed the oil and sent him down the road. A few days ago, it did it again. It's at a different shop and the mechanic says it is seized. Talked to him on the phone. He sounds like a good mechanic and decent enough guy. It sounds like it's time to get rid of it. He can't fix it and doesn't want to spend more on a losing proposition. Did sitting kill this bike? Any ideas why this thing locked up?
Why didnt he take it back to the first shop?

They're not interested. Don't know if it's the bike or possible conflict of personalities.

Just talked to the mechanic. Told him of Steve's suggestion. He said with bike in neutral the engine will turn about 90 degrees and stop. My cousin is going to pay for further diagnosis. Mechanic is going to pull the valve cover for a look. He said the cooling system will have to be opened up to get the valve cover off. He also talked about putting a fuel pressure gauge in between the fuel pump and the engine to see if there is a lack of pressure that might indicate a failure of a fuel injector which could create a hydrolock condition. The saga continues.......

I should add that my cousin mentioned feeling like it wasn't as powerful before it wouldn't start the last time. Also, even though I suggested years ago to have the valves adjusted, I don't think it's ever had that done.

If a valve wasn't closing fully, couldn't that create a situation that carbons up the valve stem and at some point hangs open a bit too far and hits a piston? Engine isn't technically seized, but won't make a full revolution because of the bent valve is what follows?

I should add that my cousin mentioned feeling like it wasn't as powerful before it wouldn't start the last time. Also, even though I suggested years ago to have the valves adjusted, I don't think it's ever had that done.

If a valve wasn't closing fully, couldn't that create a situation that carbons up the valve stem and at some point hangs open a bit too far and hits a piston? Engine isn't technically seized, but won't make a full revolution because of the bent valve is what follows?
Just talked to the mechanic. Told him of Steve's suggestion. He said with bike in neutral the engine will turn about 90 degrees and stop. My cousin is going to pay for further diagnosis. Mechanic is going to pull the valve cover for a look. He said the cooling system will have to be opened up to get the valve cover off. He also talked about putting a fuel pressure gauge in between the fuel pump and the engine to see if there is a lack of pressure that might indicate a failure of a fuel injector which could create a hydrolock condition. The saga continues.......
I would expect mechanic already did however remove spark plugs to not confuse compression with interference.

It sounds like an engine problem.
Pulling the side cover and looking at / or removing the clutch would help determine if the engine or the tranny is the issue.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
We discussed that Ted. Not sure but think he's going to pull the valve cover. I have his cell and promised not to blow it up with texts etc. Pretty sure he'll keep me in the loop. I also suggested getting a cam in the spark plug hole to see what he could see.

Rocking it back & forth while it is in gear is telling me the clutch plates were stuck from non use. Pull the clutch apart & check that out. I own a 2007 1250 bandit and they are a great bike with very few problems. Like C Rider says pull the clutch that is your problem.

Told him of Steve's suggestion. He said with bike in neutral the engine will turn about 90 degrees and stop.
That kind of goes against the plates being stuck as the only problem. But it does sound like the clutch, possibly something broke and getting jammed in the primary gear.