• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Widest rear tire size ?

I have a 180/60-16 on mine..
I did it as an experiment.
Fits, because the small rim decreases the actual width to that of a 160.

NOTE: The small rim also causes the profile of the tread to become rounder.
                {sorta gives it the profile of a front tire}
          That profile makes the turn-in "very" quick..
                Fun, but different.

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
I have a 180/60-16 on mine..
I did it as an experiment.
Fits, because the small rim decreases the actual width to that of a 160.

NOTE: The small also rim causes the profile of the tread to become rounder.
                {sorta gives it the profile of a front tire}
          That profile makes the turn-in "very" quick..
                Fun, but different.

Ride safe, Ted

Interesting, that is exactly what I was curious about. I just might 'experiment' like you. I appreciate the reply.

Keep in mind that by squeezing a larger (wider) tire on to the wheel you are decreasing the radius of the tire and making the contact patch, that keeps us upright, smaller...you are NOT improving traction, you are reducing it.  There's a good reason why shops refuse to mount larger than spec tires on bikes.

Thanx Tireguy.
I'm not recommending the 180. Just passing on info.

When I did the experiment, people were reporting wobble on the C-10s with the current available radials in the OEM tire size.
I was trying to get a lower aspect ration and keep the same tire width and OD.
I did accomplish that, but as I sed. Rounder profile. {ie; Tighter radius}
I didn't realize that the contact area was smaller though, but see your point.  :-[

Riding the bike, it is was really quick to turn in and not stable feeling.
We reduced tire pressure and the handling improved.

Ride safe, Ted

agreed, see this done on vintage bikes all the time and it ruins the contact patch area. want a wider tire? run a wider rim.