• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Wildflower Ride 2013

Fred H.

The Wildflower ride is now officially scheduled at the River Inn Resort for the weekend of April 12th-14th. You can register for the event on the calendar.

I plan to use the same caterer for the meal Saturday night that we had last year. I expect cost will be about $12 or so a head, and I'll need a good head count prior to the meal so that we get the right amount of food. Registering for the event on the calendar will help me better estimate how many meals we need.

By the way, I spent the weekend at the River Inn, and they are breaking in all new staff. Brenda has retired and Cindy left a few months ago.

Is this the River Inn Resort in Hunt, TX, for those of us who haven't done this event in the past?

April 12 will be the one year anniversary of my most recent get-off. LOL  I reckon I ought to celebrate that in Hunt even though getting to Hunt the past few years has proven painful for me.  :eek:

I reckon I'd better start trying to get time off scheduled.  :beerchug:

Rev Ryder said:
April 12 will be the one year anniversary of my most recent get-off. LOL  I reckon I ought to celebrate that in Hunt even though getting to Hunt the past few years has proven painful for me.  :eek:

OK, you can follow me and I will get you there safe and sound.

Fred

There in lies my problem.  I'm a crappy follower. LOL

But I can show you the fast way into the ditch.  :)

Enjoyed visiting at breakfast.  I hope Doug's bike is all fixed up (or soon to be).  See you again soon.

Rev Ryder said:

Well Rev, dare I say these words but..................you could always trailer it out there. Since its just the "gettin' it out there" that causes the problems, maybe if you trailer it out there it will break the curse. 

Jim Snyder said:
Rev Ryder said:

Well Rev, dare I say these words but..................you could always trailer it out there. Since its just the "gettin' it out there" that causes the problems, maybe if you trailer it out there it will break the curse.

Good point Jim.  I DID trailer (hauled in pickup because mama wanted to come but not ride) in 2011 and things went pretty well except for the few minutes of Ted givin' me the evil eye.  I doubt I can have the Turbo up and at 'em again by then, but i DO have the 06 model.  THe Turboo is going to suffer MAJOR renovation/alteration.

Pamela and I are registered for this event and thank you Fred (1) for hosting again. Thank you Fred (2) for stepping up to take the AD Chair for SC COG.

Should be great riding this year and can't wait to see Rev and Ted's Excellent Trailering Adventure again. :s_laugh:

gr33nmAn

kv5e said:
Pamela and I are registered for this event and thank you Fred (1) for hosting again. Thank you Fred (2) for stepping up to take the AD Chair for SC COG.

Should be great riding this year and can't wait to see Rev and Ted's Excellent Trailering Adventure again. :s_laugh:

gr33nmAn
Well, Ted and Rev have NEVER trailered together cuz Ted always finds someone else to trailer with or just doesn't go or sumpin.  And I'm a little scared to try to get to the Wildflower anyways as I tend to fall down enroute.  However, while I MAY make it to Hunt, the Turbo will definitely NOT make it. The ol' gal is currently undergoing quadruple cylinder bypass surgery, having a new pacemaker and iron lung installed, and getting some much needed cosmetic surgery at the same time.  I hope she makes it.  I'm kinda fond of her.

Just registered, and they say only 3 others are confirmed :(
Plenty of choice rooms available, and I promise, weather will be perfect.
Of course, I will ride in any weather ;)

Fred, I just registered for our (me and my Bride/Judy) room.
For counting purposes,,,, it will be "2" (me and my Bride).
Caiin't wait!!!!

Now, "has anyone heard from Rev"? He's being awfully quiet!
This year, he cain't say he isn't coming bekuz the Turbo broke down on the way....
It's already broke!!!

PS: Rev,,, "DO NOT" start workin' on the stock bike...
      We don't want it to break down on the way there......  :))

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Fred, I just registered for our room.
For counting purposes,,,, it will be me and my Bride.
can't wait!!!!

This year, he cain't say he isn't coming bekuz the Turbo broke down on the way....
It's already broke!!!

Ride safe, Ted

I know, but I ain't telling..    ;D

I have had an unfortunate life altering event occur that will prevent me from being able to attend this ride. The ride will still go on, and I have turned over hosting duties to Fred Boothe. I apologize for this, but 2013 is not shaping up to be a good year for me, and it's very doubtful I will attend any COG rides this entire year.

Fred. I hope all turns toward the better. You let me know if there is any way to help or support. Unconditionally. :beerchug:

connie_rider said:
It's already broke!!!

Ride safe, Ted
You hush Ted!  If you evil eye THIS bike I'm gonna have Big Joe stomp yer foot.  I just found a big ol' knot on the front tire.  I think yer doing sumpin' long distance this time.  You stop it!  :mad:

Old Man on a Connie said:
Fred. I hope all turns toward the better. You let me know if there is any way to help or support. Unconditionally. :beerchug:

Thanks. If you know of anyone looking for an out of work engineer with a background in Aircraft Avionics, Field Support, Automatic Test Equipment, IT, and computer programming, please let me know.

Fred,

Sorry to hear about the job. We'll keep our ears to the rails and pray.

When a door is closed, there is almost always a window opened. Chin up and give a call if we can help.

Craig and Pamela

Ok room is reserved. The lady put me next door to some guy named Ted somethin' or other. Hope he doesn't snore too loud.

Fred, I'll be watching for anything.
Keep your chin up.
I suspect this will turn out to be a good deal for you!

Best of luck.
Ride safe, Ted

PS: Isn't Big Joe into something like that?? I know he does work related to Avionics...

Thanks. If you know of anyone looking for an out of work engineer with a background in Aircraft Avionics, Field Support, Automatic Test Equipment, IT, and computer programming, please let me know.

Well, that just flat sucks Fred!  With those credentials, I'm sure you won't have too much trouble landing something soon.

I'm going to try to make it again this year.  If I do, I'll trailer the Beemer this time.  I would trailer the Connie, but SOMEONE is STILL painting the plastic for me.....I think.

Registered for this a couple of months ago, so should be joining everone early Friday afternoon.  Can't wait.....

I have reservations made and plan on being there. On two wheels, not in the cage like last year.
Pat

Doug_Turner_TX said:
I'm going to try to make it again this year.  If I do, I'll trailer the Beemer this time.  I would trailer the Connie, but SOMEONE is STILL painting the plastic for me.....I think.

HEY REV,,, DID YOU SEE DOUG'S NOTE?
Doug,, sure hope you make it.

Ride safe, Ted

Yeah, me too.  I'd love to make the Big Bend Ride, but I gotta pick and choose my rides these days.  I think trailering is the way to go this year.....just in case SOMEONE who shall remain nameless happens to bring my bodywork with him.

Doug_Turner_TX said:
Yeah, me too.  I'd love to make the Big Bend Ride, but I gotta pick and choose my rides these days.  I think trailering is the way to go this year.....just in case SOMEONE who shall remain nameless happens to bring my bodywork with him.

Yea, I know what you mean. Too many things going on!
And your right, "the person" that has "been" promising to paint your side panels for 4 years should remain nameless so that we don't embarass him....  ;)

PS: "Rev", did "YOU" see Dougs note?

Ride safe, Ted

Rev, If it were me I would not even think about admitting I might come.  Don't want the gremlins to get all excited.  Might just be able to sneak around them unseen.

Four + years!?!!!?!!?!!!

Doug, you are a trusting soul.

Chuck, the gauntlet appears to be thrown down! ;D

Craig

kv5e said:
Four + years!?!!!?!!?!!!

Doug, you are a trusting soul.

Chuck, the gauntlet appears to be thrown down! ;D

Craig

Yep, but I've been told it's going to be a really killer paint job.  Well, as killer  as you can get with Krylon.

Dang!  Spend a few days buryin' folks and come back to this infamous.

Yeah, I guess Ted didn't pay any attention to the pics that I posted a year ago of the paint work.  I'm not happy with it though.  The carbon fiber parts are a little too dark and I am not pleased with the main color either, but then it might be exactly what Doug wanted I don't know.  The stripes HAVE to be changed too.  Just not pleased with the look at all.

The first pic is closest to the real color.  The CF on the bellypan did not have the black candy over it yet so it is dark like the rest.  None is clear coated yet.

Attachments

• Daylight side panel 3.jpg
    Daylight side panel 3.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 117
  • parts is parts 1.jpg
    parts is parts 1.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 101
  • Bellypan two color.jpg
    Bellypan two color.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 104
  • Left Side Small no window 1.jpg
    Left Side Small no window 1.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 107
I really like that carbon fiber look!  The red looks good too!  What are your plans for the stripes?

Doug_Turner_TX said:
I really like that carbon fiber look!  The red looks good too!  What are your plans for the stripes?
I really thought the stripes would look better than they do.  Now I'm thinking of changing the wider of the two to another color.  Lime, bright orange, or purple but the indecision is debilitating.  I'm leaning toward the bright orange despite the primary color of the pieces.  What do you think?  My second choice is a old school Kaw green for the lower stripe.  Last choice would be a grape (blurple) type purple (definitely not maroonish).

Oh, "I" do remember.  Doug didn't.  :nananana:
I wuz jest trying to get you 2 together...  ;)

I like the yaller. Guess the Orange would work, but blurple,,,,, noooooooooooooo............
However,,, it's Dougs choice.

Ride safe, Ted

My "Paintshop" skills are questionable at best, but...
My first choice is still orange. Then green.

Attachments

• Daylight side panel 3 with orange.jpg
    Daylight side panel 3 with orange.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 108
  • Daylight side panel 3 with green.jpg
    Daylight side panel 3 with green.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 98
Doug_Turner_TX said:
I kinda like that green.
OK.
Then the smaller, top stripe yellow and the bottom larger stripe green?  We are going to be VERY close on the orange body color, but I think we can make it.  It is very transparent and doesn't hide well.  So like ZG's green C-14 thread, we have to use a white base under it.  So, I reckon I'll get some green mixed up. 

I wasn't planning on trailering to Hunt (I don't have a trailer and actually prefer to ride).  I SHOULD/MAY/HOPE to be able to finish by then, but I have been inundated with folks in the hospital and funerals the past three weeks, so days off have been almost non-existent.  I still have about 35-45 hours of work to get done on this stuff altogether.  The tank is the biggest issue.  The rest is either painted or within minutes of being ready to spray.  If the dark CF look is pleasing to you (I know we originally talked black lowers), then all of those pieces are completed except for the green stripes and clearcoat. 

Rev Ryder said:
Doug_Turner_TX said:
I kinda like that green.
OK.
Then the smaller, top stripe yellow and the bottom larger stripe green?  We are going to be VERY close on the orange body color, but I think we can make it.  It is very transparent and doesn't hide well.  So like ZG's green C-14 thread, we have to use a white base under it.  So, I reckon I'll get some green mixed up. 

I wasn't planning on trailering to Hunt (I don't have a trailer and actually prefer to ride).  I SHOULD/MAY/HOPE to be able to finish by then, but I have been inundated with folks in the hospital and funerals the past three weeks, so days off have been almost non-existent.  I still have about 35-45 hours of work to get done on this stuff altogether.  The tank is the biggest issue.  The rest is either painted or within minutes of being ready to spray.  If the dark CF look is pleasing to you (I know we originally talked black lowers), then all of those pieces are completed except for the green stripes and clearcoat.

Well, after this time, whats a few more weeks or months.  I know you're busy.  Don't bust your buns to get it done the time the ride rolls around because I'm still not sure if I'll be able to make it. 

The dark carbon fiber is fine and I think the green and yellow stripes will look good against the orange/copperish color.

Doug_Turner_TX said:
Rev Ryder said:
Doug_Turner_TX said:
I kinda like that green.
OK.

Well, after this time, whats a few more weeks or months.  I know you're busy.  Don't bust your buns to get it done the time the ride rolls around because I'm still not sure if I'll be able to make it. 

The dark carbon fiber is fine and I think the green and yellow stripes will look good against the orange/copperish color.
Well, it will get done either before or within the week after.  I am taking a week's vacation to get some stuff done (Wildflower sandwiched in the middle of that week off) and it's the best shot I have at getting it done.  I've been called by Schreiner University now to work with a student during that week, so I'm not yet sure if he will need the time immediately BEFORE the Wildflower or AFTER.  So I will either come a day early or stay a day late and that will affect how stuff goes a bit too.  In any case, I have no pickup or trailer and wasn't planning on having anything other than my bike at Hunt.  So transport is a little bit of an issue.

Rev, if we could co-ordinate it, I might be able to meet you on I-10 and haul the stuff to Doug.
I'll have room in my truck.

If not, I bet Doug will be more than happy to drive down and get it when it's done.
Gonna look good!
And we all know,,, Doug has lotsa time......<grin>

Ride safe, Ted

Yeah, I just have tons of time on my hands these days.....NOT!!!  And yes, if Rev can't get 'er done by ride time, I can squeeze in a trip south to pick up da parts.

BTW, making it to the ride is still up in the air.

Doug_Turner_TX said:
Yeah, I just have tons of time on my hands these days.....NOT!!!  And yes, if Rev can't get 'er done by ride time, I can squeeze in a trip south to pick up da parts.

"Be there" or we'll talk about you!!!
Heck, (as you already know) we'll talk about you anyway...
BUT we would like to see you there..  (except fer Rev)    ;)

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Doug_Turner_TX said:
BUT we would like to see you there..  (except fer Rev)    ;)
Now that's not a very nice thing to say. 

Between Bible studies, a Rotary program I had to give, and a couple of meetings, I've been looking for the "green" today.  Not quite settled on it yet.  Tried to pick up some more clearcoat here in El Campo and wound up ordering it online.  It will be here by Tuesday or Wednesday.  If my schedule stays like it is from today on (meaning Tuesday and Sunday evenings and all of Mondays free without more funerals.  Well, this Sunday afternoon I have a program until 5:30), it'll be close on timing methinks.

We're proud of you Rev.
Yor doing a heck of a fine job.

At least,, "you say" your doing a fine job.
Dougie wil be proud!

Ride safe, Ted

I'm still unsure of making it to Kerrville, BUT I do know we will be in Houston Apr 6 for the AMA Supercross at Reliant Stadium.  Maybe we can hook up that weekend.  We'll be heading down Sat morning and heading home Sun.

I'll be around.  Cell number is nine seven nine 320 seven 5 one six. Gimme a shout.  Of course, I work weekends though so much time off until Sunday afternoon is tough.  :)

Trying to register for this event but I can't access the South Central events calendar. It just keeps sending me back to the North central calendar. ??? Any other way to register?

Pat

pzak95 said:
Trying to register for this event but I can't access the South Central events calendar. It just keeps sending me back to the North central calendar. ??? Any other way to register?

Pat

There is a drop down box in the upper left side of the calendar.  Click on it and select "South Central"

Are you logging into the main pages with your Memberize ID and not this forum ID?  I just now registered without issue.  Alleluiah!  :great:

OR if you continue to experience difficulty, Fred has said in the SC email that you can just email him.  He needs the headcount for the meal on Saturday.  You could also PM him through this forum.

EDIT TO ADD:
Nevermind.  Fred is faster than I at responding. LOL  Man, I'm gettin' slow in my old age.

Weather looks good for the RALLY!!!! ;D

Both ECMWF and GFS showing ridging during the ride and no precip. Ensembles have been very consistent in the forecast period as well.  :celebrate:

Looks like hi 50's/low 60s in the morning with highs in upper 70s to 80 degrees. :great:

:motonoises: :motonoises: :motonoises::campfire: :06: :49:  :beerchug::103: :party0036: :13:  :motonoises: :motonoises: :motonoises:

Craig COG MIC

I have to be in Temple on SUdnay afternoon and Monday, back at work on Tuesday, and then in Kerrville at Schreiner University on Thursday.  In any case, I'll already be in Hill Country when yall get around to comin'.  :) 

I won't make it to the River Inn until Friday I'm sure, but I'll be at my buddy Randy's in Kerrpatch Thursday night.  He's de-mothballing his Wing for the weekend with us/yall. 

I so miss this ride! And I miss the SC folks even more.  :'(

The Wildflower will always be my favorite since it was my first adventure in real sport touring.  :beerchug:

I was actually in Huntsville for a few days last week, and the flowers were amazing!

Y'all ride safe and post plenty of pics!

Big Joe, this time I'll be on the blue gnu for the bluebonnet sonnet.  I need to put a rear tar on her yet if I can get a "roundtuit."  May just yank the Meanstreak rim off of the wreckage if I can even get that done.  Already got an Avon on the front a few weeks ago.

Fred, Do ya know if you're gonna make it in Thursday with me yet?  If so, what's yer agenda look like.  I am free until 3:00 pm when I have to be reasonably presentable and at the library at Schreiner U.

Rev Ryder said:
Big Joe, this time I'll be on the blue gnu for the bluebonnet sonnet.  I need to put a rear tar on her yet if I can get a "roundtuit."  May just yank the Meanstreak rim off of the wreckage if I can even get that done.  Already got an Avon on the front a few weeks ago.

Fred, Do ya know if you're gonna make it in Thursday with me yet?  If so, what's yer agenda look like.  I am free until 3:00 pm when I have to be reasonably presentable and at the library at Schreiner U.

Sorry Chuck that I didn't get with you sooner. I was going to give you a call tomorrow.  I received a call yesterday that a friend is coming into town on Wednesday so I am not going to be able to leave until Friday morning.

No worries Fred.  I know the way. ;)

See ya on Friday then.
A LOT to do between now and then.  YEE HAW!

Looks like Diane and I are going to attend the ride after all. I'm going to call the River Inn in the morning and see if I can still get a room.

Great Fred. We'll see ya there.
Big Joe,,, wish ya could make it.
If you happen to be in the area, come on by.
We'll talk to anyone......

Ride safe, Ted

Sorry to hear that Doug.... :(

Maybe you can make Jacks in October and there's some day rides and RTE being planned for MAY/JUNE so we may yet get to meet up.

Rev.......looks like your Krylon drip job will not get peer reviewed!!!!! :))

All in good fun,

Craig

Rev Ryder said:

You wore out that Pilot GT already?!  :-\

Glad you are back in the saddle, my friend.  :beerchug:

Well, spent a little time in the shop.  Yanked the terribly FLATTED Pilot GT from the Blue Gnu and took the turbo's Meanie Wheel and its "not quite as flatted" 170/60 Roadsmart and put it on there.  Changed the final drive juice and then shaved the Roadsmart pretty nearly round again.  Wound up with a quart of rubber shavings, but now have a nearly new tire.  :)

I also installed the Cee Bailey.  Jeez that sucker's tall.  Gotta remember to open the garage door way high before trying to drive out. LOL

RubbershavingsfromRoadsmart_zpsdbb56a95.jpg

Rubberpile_zps8594c212.jpg

I'll be leaving here in the early morning.  Plan on having lunch at Acapulco with Randy and then do the interview at Schreiner University at 3:00.  It's gonna be a chilly 40 something degrees in the morning it appears.  Kinda wish I had more than mesh to wear.  My wimpy South Texas self is gonna be whinin'.

A cold 45* and raining like nuts with wind and thunder and lightnin'.  Time to load up and head out.  Mama is not happy. ~sigh~

Rev Ryder said:
A cold 45* and raining like nuts with wind and thunder and lightnin'.  Time to load up and head out.  Mama is not happy. ~sigh~

Was putting the bags on this morning and was thinking about you getting wet.  Now I am glad I was delayed.    :nananana:

Rev Ryder said:

It is better to dwell in the corner of the housetop, than with a brawling woman and in a wide house.

Proverbs 25:24 KJV

How about some experiential exegesis here REV? :-X

Craig TULIP Green

kv5e said:
Rev Ryder said:

It is better to dwell in the corner of the housetop, than with a brawling woman and in a wide house.

Proverbs 25:24 KJV

How about some experiential exegesis here REV? :-X

Craig TULIP Green
I prefer the term "existential."  LOL
It is better to wait for the rain to subside than to cause the wife anxious moments of concern for your safety... particularly when she's already pretty durn sure about your sanity... or lack thereof. 

This post was brought to you by Balvenie Doublewood aged 12 years... and plenty of it.  It's awesome to be Scottish.  My favorite color right now is plaid.  :rotflmao:

Where's me bagpipes?  Oops, me tartan is a saggin' a wee bit. 
TULIP? As in...
T  otal Depravity
U  nconditional Election
L  imited At-One-Ment
I  rresistible Grace
P  erseverance of the Saints
???
Or as in the flower of Holland Michigan?

Well the weather was fantastic, and the company was great. Another Wildflower ride is in the books. Headed back to east Texas in the morning. And yes tradition of me and Ted working on something in the parking lot is in tack. We are certified Can Am Spider mechanics now. Thank to everyone for another great ride.

It ain't a COG-SC event until someone gets nekkid...

(The BIKES, people, the BIKES!)

It ain't official until some Tupperware comes off...

:rotflmao:

BigJoeVA68 said:

Hey Joe, sure wish you could have made it. I even got to test drive the Spider when we got done. It was a very different experience.

Well, I made it home without further drama. 
It was awesome getting to see everyone again.  This is just the best group of folk ever.  After a freak speeding ticket and a flat tire, I was wondering if the Wildflower was really an event I need in my life.  However, after the fellowship of Saturday night and folks trying to help me overcome the difficulties, I cannot imagine NOT wanting to return... even mama wants to try and make it with me next year.  And that's a cool thing. 

Thanks to all who make this ride work and who orchestrate the good times.  Special thanks to Fred and Fred and Craig and well... everyone. 

Rev Ryder said:
Well, I made it home without further drama. 
It was awesome getting to see everyone again.  This is just the best group of folk ever.  After a freak speeding ticket and a flat tire,

Only you could get a speeding ticket with a flat tire...or did I read that wrong?

;D

Every COG event I attend it just keeps getting better and better.  I have been a member of many, many, motorcycle clubs and organizations over the years, and COG by far has been the most welcoming and friendly club I have ever been a member.  I think COG needs another new motto, "You never are a stranger, and you never meet a stranger at a COG event".

Rev, kept me entertained on Saturday.  Even with all his mishaps, we still managed to have a good day of riding.  The only down side was all the U-Turns I had to keep making to go back to him.

I want to thank everyone that attended, and for all the help setting up the dinner.  Heck, all I had to do was pay for the meal when we picked it up.  When we got back to the Resort, half the group carried the food to the meeting area.  I think they may have been a bit hungry.  Fred H. collected the money.  Pam, Diane, Leslie, Bob and others set it all out on the tables.  Basically all I had to do was stand and watch.  Thanks goes to Craig to stepping up and being the actual host.  Since at the time I am the only known AMA referee in the area, I could not host and referee at the same time.  Go figure?

I need to mention a Happy Birthday to Troy, who celebrated his birthday with us on Saturday.

I can just go on and on.  I guess I need to mention that the tradition was continued with Jim and Ted tearing down a bike and fixing it.  This year it wasn't a Concours but instead a Spyder.  Good job guys!!!

Those that don't attend these events are really missing out on a good time. 

Thanks again to all those that attended.

(The other Fred) Boothe
South Central Area Director

BigJoeVA68 said:

Joe, you'll be happy to know that in true COG fashion, Jim and I helped get a guy's Spyder nekked.  :-\

Hmmm, mebbee I'd better explain.    ???

A person that was at the event had a Broken Spyder 3 Wheeled riding machine.
Jim and I helped him remove the Tupperware and repair the bike,,, (after the shop screwed it up).  ;)

Ride safe, Ted

I have no doubt of the ability of you two to get any motorized vehicle nekkid, ya studs.  :beerchug:

How many cable ties did it take to get it back on the road?  :rotflmao:

BigJoeVA68 said:
I have no doubt of the ability of you two to get any motorized vehicle nekkid, ya studs.  :beerchug:

You would be proud of us.  :)
We're improved. We're gen-U-wine mechanics now!  :motonoises:

We don't fix everything with Duct tape, bailing wire,,,,  and Cable ties.

This one  took 8" of Eeeeee-'lectrical tape and an alcohol wipe ..  :great:

Ride safe, Ted

BigJoeVA68 said:

It was a thing of beauty. We looked like two surgeons operating on what thing. And the electric tape wasn't the plain old black stuff, we used super high speed blue electric tape.