• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Wildflower Ride 2015

fartymarty

SC AAD
:) The 2015 COG SC Wildflower Regional Rally (aka: the wildflower ride) is now officially scheduled  :whoo:  at the River Inn Resort for the weekend of April 10th-12th, 2015.
You can register for the event on the calendar, or here.

I plan to use the same BBQ caterer for the meal Saturday night that we had last year (and the year before). I expect cost will be about $12 or so a head, and I'll need a good head count prior to the meal so that we get the right amount of food. Registering for the event on the calendar will help me better estimate how many meals we need.

I'll be taking over from Fred Harmon for this event and hopefully I can do almost as good as he has done. For those of you that haven't been here before, there is no restaurant on site or within walking distance. The units have very nice kitchenettes. The units are individually owned and thus are not identical, however the units should all be adequate for meal preparation if so desired, and of course we will be having BBQ catered on Saturday night. If someone wanted to show up on Thursday and cook their famous chili on Friday afternoon for us to enjoy as a Friday night dinner, I would be most happy to assist with supply acquisition, pot stirring, onion chopping, taste testing and whatever. Anybody? Anybody? I'm no chili cook (so I've been told) or I'd do it. Barring any such volunteer I will be posting a forum sign up posting closer to the event for a "Meet to Eat" at a local restaurant (not BBQ, but otherwise I'm open to suggestions) on Friday evening.

Please reserve a unit at the River Inn Resort as soon as you are able, so that if we need more rooms we can still get them. Our blocked rooms are being held until January 1st 2015 but if we use them all up we may be able to get more if it is early enough that there are still some left. The nearest alternative lodging (to the best of my knowledge) is miles away and would involve some night driving through some serious deer habitat to return to after the evening socialization around the outdoor fireplace patio area at the River Inn.

For those that may not be familiar with central Texas roadways, there are lots of very nice roads in the area. However, the pavement is generally more abrasive than you may be used to. Please show up with some decent tires to get maximum enjoyment from the area as well as enjoy a safe trip home.

Booked and calendar entry confirmed.

10275131144_2062c599d1_z.jpg

Craig

Rev Ryder said:
Margaritas anyone?  :-\

¡Si!         
    ¡Si!           
        ¡Si!
            ¡Si!
:party0036:      :Woot_Emoticon:      :72:      :06:    :You_Rock_Emoticon:    :1rij:      :character0029:

gr33mAn

Lord willin' I'll be able to be there.  And if I'm there, there shalt be Ritas.

Well we did not get many COG members to the MotoGP when I tried but still I like both events.  Thanks for making me choose.  Who plans this stuff :/ 

smithr1 said:
Well we did not get many COG members to the MotoGP when I tried but still I like both events.  Thanks for making me choose.  Who plans this stuff :/
Bob, go the races and I will drink your margaritas! ;D

gr33nmAn

smithr1 said:

Bob you are right about the first year Moto GP the turnout was slim, but there were a few.

I tried to go to the Moto GP. Would love to see it!
BUT,,, "Wildflower" is my Wife's favorite Gathering, and Moto GP was more a man gathering. (ie: camping/crowds/racing bikes)
Money/time is limited,,,,,, So, I opted to do the Wildflower.
Will do so again this year.

But somewhere in the future I would like to see Moto GP.

Ride safe, Ted

I don't see any discussions going on about tis event.
Thought I'd "ping it" as it is one of the Wife's favorites.
Need some discussion so all can see it!!!

Anyone (other than me/wife) going?

Ride safe, Ted

I intend to be there.  Be on the ol' 06 I'm sure, but hope to be there.  Have to take time off for some continuing education though and I'm trying not to get things scheduled too close together or this ride could sufer the same fate as the BBRTT ride.  :(

Chuck, I certainly hope you are there.....our experience is greatly diminished without your presence in Hunt so I pray you can be there with your wife.

Everyone, stand by for some videos of SC COG rides at the Wildflower Rally......they are uploading as we speak!

Here's a link for the Wildflower ride and a Video!

https://vimeo.com/117981955

There shall be more!

Ride free,

gr33nmAn

connie_rider said:
But somewhere in the future I would like to see Moto GP.
Same here; want to scratch it off the bucket list. But not at the expense of going alone. My wife doesn't want to go (not into bikes, or racing), even though I proposed a Hill Country detour (I'd love to drive my sports car there too). So I might go to this rally instead, and leave the MotoGP for another year. Still waiting on a friend's reply, but if he chickens out, I'd scrap that trip. This is one trip I'd LOVE to trailer my bike, since slabbing 500 miles just to get there is not appealing to me AT ALL ::). But chances of somebody riding thru El Paso when all others live in central TX are slim to none... so I'd have to slab it. Probably taking a detour thru Del Rio, since I HATE I-10. And can maybe take the long sweepers I missed on my first (and only so far) Hill Country rally. Will let you know asap.

Warning JC: Craig makes fun of us that Trailer to an event. So start ignoring him now...  ;)

I sometimes trailer to near an event (to a location with good roads) leave the truck trailer at a Motel, and ride in.

Ride safe, Ted

I am a new member, and have two questions. Where exactly is the ride (base of operations), and can we (members) invite non-members to the event? Thanks.

ironjack said:
I am a new member, and have two questions. Where exactly is the ride (base of operations), and can we (members) invite non-members to the event? Thanks.

The host hotel is the River Inn Resort located just outside of Hunt, Texas.  Hunt is located on Highway 39 just west of Kerriville.

Yes, guest are always welcome.

My girlfiend and I just registered....we purchased a blue 2013 Connie just before Christmas and are really looking forward to getting out in the Hill Country for some "real" riding. We made reservations at the River Inn and look forward to meeting everyone.....would love to know what kind of riding/rides are planned for Saturday...three sisters?  Thanks!!!

After a one year hiatus, I've decided to adventure down for another  trip to TX.  Reservations made and will be there on Thursday.  See y'all then.

soonerone said:
After a one year hiatus, I decided to adventure down for another  trip to TX.  Reservations made and will be there on Thursday.  See y'all then.
Woo Hoo!  I got this.

Registered and reserved... It appears the lovely Mrs. Rev will be in attendance as well.  :1rij:

Margaritas will flow and that Okie guy and I will be sniftering snifters of fine Scottish snifterables as well.

MAMA! PACK THE NINJA!  THERE'S A BUNCH OF COGgers THAT NEED RITAS!

kv5e said:
Rev Ryder said:
Margaritas anyone?  :-\

¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si!¡Si! ¡Si!¡Si!         
    ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si!¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si!           
        ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si!
            ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si! ¡Si!
:party0036:      :Woot_Emoticon:      :72:      :06:    :You_Rock_Emoticon:    :1rij:      :character0029:

gr33mAn

margarita.jpg

Craig, since mama is coming (and she won't ride up there, but will drive her Hyundoo Hyendera Hyoneda Elanter... her car, we'll be able to pack well for this trip and have plenty of uh... supplies.  :beerchug:

Rev Ryder said:
Craig, since mama is coming (and she won't ride up there, but will drive her Hyundoo Hyendera Hyoneda Elanter... her car, we'll be able to pack well for this trip and have plenty of uh... supplies.  :beerchug:

We can chip in some to help out on the expense.  I will sample a couple, but want to drive back without my hair hurting!

Thanks sir,

Craig

Mama has a good job now too so I think we're good this year. We'll see how the supplies hold up.

As for your hurting hair... I'll bring a clippers.  :nananana: 

:D As for clippers I have a video from the National that I will bring and while it doesn't have clippers it does have razors.

Will be attending. My first COG rally, looking forward to it. Missus should be coming, as long as the Grandparents come through. ;)

Be sure to book your room!

The River Inn is a favorite of the wifes!!!! She's gonna like it!!!
Mebbe bring a fishing pole....

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Since this is your first.... I want to apologize "in advance" for Rev and Jim's behavior.  ;)
      (You'll understand later)..  :rotflmao:

connie_rider said:
Be sure to book your room!

The River Inn is a favorite of the wifes!!!! She's gonna like it!!!
Mebbe bring a fishing pole....

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Since this is your first.... I want to apologize "in advance" for Rev and Jim's behavior.  ;)
      (You'll understand later)..  :rotflmao:

NOTE TO SELF:
NO MARGARITAS FER TED! NukeWorker gets his.     :rotflmao:

Extras for Jim and I since we need it to put up with Ted.

P.S. There aren't many fish in the river near the resort.  But what is there are bass and perch.  No whiskerfish that close to the head waters of the mighty Guadalupe.

NukeWorker said:
looking forward to it

Don't listen to Ted. I am one of the nicest most helpful people you will ever meet. Not to mention being an awesome mechanic and a great comedian.

I saw in the discussion earlier, some people were discussing the option of going to the MotoGP race instead.  I went to the first race a couple years ago, and was pretty disappointed. I had a good time, but it wasn't what I expected it to be, and it was very hard to find a good place to view the entire track.  Then again it could of been because I was trying to flip flop from being on a night schedule, to a day schedule for the races, and then back to a night schedule afterwards  :mad:

This is the first year the no one took into account when MotoGP was when setting up Wildflower.  I decided to come ride rather than watch. 

You will never find one spot to see the entire track, except one that has a big screen in front of you.

The event has been good over all.  Not sure what you expected but in the two years I have gone it seem to be run well and you could enjoy yourself all day.  Not sure why anyone would do three days though.  We did the first year just so we could learn the facility better and see everything.

Rev Ryder said:
You forgot handsome.
Oh, and humble.    :beerchug:

Rev,,, Are you talking about "Me" again?

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Just thinkin';
If 1 day is enough of a MotoGP taste,,,
Why couldn't someone do the MotoGP 1 day and then come to Wildflower?
Or do Wildflower and then finish up at MotoGP?

If this wasn't on the MotoGP weekend, I would have attended.

Maybe next year for me! 

Be safe out there and dont ride too close. That cheese grader pavement will kick up rocks. ( ouch )

Rev Ryder said:
You forgot handsome.

Oh, and humble.    :beerchug:

You are correct. Thank s for reminding me. Its like I always say, my greatest strength is my lack of weaknesses.

soonerone said:
Importing the scotch, for those who partake....

Hoot Mon!    Do dheagh shlàinte !

Makes me want to go ride the Applecross Bealach na Ba again...... :-\ ......single track road over the mountains in Wester Ross!

I'll bring some Deans Shortbread to goe wit a wee dram!

Clan Craig

connie_rider said:
You 2 ain't frum around heer, arre ya?

Ya'll shore tawlk funnee......

Ride safe, Ted

Time to kick this to the top!

Twisted Sisters and Rib, white bread. and a Big Red Soda Water!

Be there or be square!!!!!! Bar Be Cue and Leadbelly Blues! :great:

Ride hard. make friends or GO HOME! :motonoises: :)

gr33nmAn

Yahoo !!! I am ready to ride them three sisters ( no Ted not those 3 sisters) Also looking forward to visiting with some of my extended family. Yes Ted that includes you. He's sorta like that one uncle that everyone has you know what I'm talkin about.

Looks like rain Friday and Saturday.  We may need even more tequila fer Ritas.  :)

New tar... check
Rain suit... check
Tequila... check check check  :great:

Rev Ryder said:
Looks like rain Friday and Saturday.  We may need even more tequila fer Ritas.  :)

New tar... check
Rain suit... check
Tequila... check check check  :great:

I am predicting the weather will clear out by the time we arrive.

connie_rider said:
Rain??   
Ride anyway!!!!   ;)

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Jim I saw that!!!

Forecast is nothing like Big Bend!!!!! We all had some great riding in spite of a nasty cutoff low there.

Isolated air mass showers on Friday, Saturday might see an afternoon isolated shower.

It is April and the wildflowers are spectacular from the reports I have been able to peruse:

http://www.wildflowerhaven.com/

Quit killing my zen and just put rain gear in the panniers............in case

gr33nmAn

The flowers are sure kicking up around Austin. 
I can't remember a Wildflower year without rain or at least the threat of it.

Diane and I plan to be there. We will be praying for favorable weather. Wildflowers around here are great. All reports I've seen say this will be a banner year. We usually find the best flower areas are in around Llano, Burnett, and Mason.

FYI, as best I can recollect, this is the 16th year in a row for this event, and more like 18 if you count back to when Popeye first had it at the old Sands Hotel in Kerrville. If my memory is correct, the first year we had it at the RiverInn was 1999.

Well, bummer.  Not gonna be able to make it again this year.  Too much cr@p going on around the hacienda to break free this weekend.  I sure miss riding that part of Texas.

My buddy,Hub, who lives in Kerrville says it's wet there now and is forecast wet and rain the next five days. My wife has been sick for a week... We thought she was doing better yesterday and would make the trip, but today she's finally gone to the doctor for some help. She isn't going to make the trip. I'm still going to make it, but even after tires and tags and insurance and stickers and needed seat covers, I'm tempted to just bring the car. Was hoping to head up today, but circumstances kind of push it back to tomorrow.

Definitely gonna bigger a Margarita weekend.

EDIT TO ADD:
Definitely gonna BE a Margarita weekend.  Originally posted from my tablet and the spell checker on it is merciless. Also it's BEADED eat cover. ROBERT has offered to let me trailer with him if I wait until 2:00 tomorrow.  It's tempting, but it would mean not being able to give Ted as much grief.  I just don't know. LOL

I'm going to put the bike on the trailer today. Leave tomorrow morning.

If it rains all weekend,, it might set on the trailer, but if we get any break,,, I'm riding.

Ride safe, Ted

Well, was heading down today, but everything has gone south(no pun intended).  Maybe I'll try again next year--again.  Going to Cliff's ride in a couple of weeks, so might see some of you there?  Ride safe..

Jim

Just wondering how many people are trailering their bikes.? Thinking about putting mine on the trailer due to weather.

NukeWorker said:
loaded up on the trailer and leaving now.

NukeWorker,,, Enjoyed riding with you!
Little bit wet, but I needed a bath anyway.

Just got home.
Good time was had by all....I think 36 were at the BBQ...

Doug, you shoulda been there.
  I had to grill the Jalapeno's...  (No one got sick)

Headed for Cliff's/Arkansas in 2 weeks.

See ya'll there.

Ride safe, Ted

PS; Marty.  Ya dun good!    Saaaaaaaluuutttteeee!!!!!

Thanks Texas,  we had a great time and are already planning next year.  :)Rev,  you're the best  :beerchug:

Yall rocked!
Thanks Matt.  We had fun.  Didn't get to ride much, but we had a great time as always.  Looking forward to Cortez.  Mama has a new helmet for that trip. LOL

Way to go, Marty! This was a great event. It was great to see so many COG folks in one place. It was also great to get to know them better. I enjoyed a nice ride home today. No rain! And, this was my first COG event with no incidents! No crash. No car trouble. Nice!

+1
Bigfoot Jim, it was great to meet you.  I look forward to spending more time on the road with you one day.  Blessings!  I'm glad you made it home safe.

I hope someone hears from Bob Ohm (sic).  His tire is in bad shape and I pray he makes it to a new one safely.  If anyone hears, please let me know. All the way from Wisconsin for the Wildflower... he's my new hero.  :beerchug:

Thanks, Chuck. It was great to meet you as well. Maybe we can ride together in Cortez.

That blows me away that Bob came all of the way from Wisconsin. Wow!

My first Wildflower ride, and first COG event. 

Had a great time and enjoyed meeting some wonderful people. 

Marty, you did a great job.

I would also like to thank George for leading me around the 3 sisters, 335 was my favorite. 

Jim brought up the rear and we had a great lunch at Leaky. 

My son (12) is already asking when he can get a bike.  I will have to teach him some patience. 

thanks everyone for making it a great weekend!

Yeah Bob, it was great having you and Josh there this time.  :great:
And stop buying me meals! LOL  We're good!!!

On another note, Bob Ohm (sp?) from Wisconsin said he goes by Bugslayer on the forums, but I found him listed as Rohm.  He is COG #5053 since 2001, has zero posts though, and hasn't logged in here since Feb 10 or so.  I sent him a PM, but I doubt he'll find it very soon since he isn't a frequent visitor. Just wanting to check up on him.  Bob Smith, did you see him any in Austin? That was where he was hoping to get a tire.  Just curious if he made it there safely. 

Pamela and I had a great time visiting with everyone! The flowers were phenomenal this year!!!!

If you have any pictures for the newsletter, please PM me and we will work out getting them published.

Ride free,

Craig

I had a great time despite the rain. Got to visit with my extended family. Heck me and Ted even kept our parking lot
mechanic string in tact by tweaking  his handlebar setup. And yes the flowers were awesome. And we even got about surprise from a very lucky turkey who almost made the ultimate sacrifice.

Yep, I got to admit, Jim's a heck of a Turkey Hunter.

(I never lie, but "occasionally" I have to clarify a story a bit)  ;)
So, here's "The Rest of the Story"..

Now, (as ya'll know) Most hunters use a gun.
Not Jim!!      Ole' Jim tries to get em' with his head!  :whoo:

There we wuz, a-riding thru the twisties.
  Up ahead we saw a turkey...
    (That bird was in the take off mode, and wuz about head high).
Jim aimed his Connie right at it,, and accelerated!!  :bravo_2:
    (I wuz impressed!)
(I swear, that bird squinted his eyes and flapped harder)!!
Jim made a zag at him, 
(At the last instant,,,,,)  that Kamikaze bird flared, and zigged the other way..
Wuz, a near miss...

Heck-of-a-man, that Jim..  :rotflmao:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Traditionally, (during the Wildflower) we take someone's bike apart in the parking lot.

I had a set of Murph's Wedges under my bars (to move the bars closer and to change the angle).
They worked as advertised, and had some definite advantages, (but also narrowed the bars 1").
Jim suggested removing the wedges (to make the bars wider).
Sed, he thought I would like it better. (But, I thought he just wanted to wrench on my new bike)....  :-\

Anywooo,,,  he eventually convinced me. (and we had to fulfill the tradition anyway)
Sooooo, we got out the tools and commenced changin' parts..
  (I wuz a bit nervous with him a-grinnin' and turnin' wrenches)...
    But it worked out and we got-er-done...

Turns out, he was right.  The wider set up "was" more comfortable for me.
(Don't tell anyone I sed that)  :-[

Ride safe, Ted

Sorry  :'(  but your string has been broken.

You did not fix another attendees broken bike, you only made an adjustment to one of your bikes.    :nananana:

I guess the two of you will need to start another string next year.  :)