• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Will anyone EVER make riding gear for TRULY large and tall men?

loukoncor5459

Title says it all. I am 6'5" and currently around 375-400lbs depending on the day and scale. OH and i wear a size 18 boot/shoe.

I have a Joe Rocket mesh "Goldwing" jacket that fits me fine, though they dont make anything else in that size, and I have an old Aerostitch Ultilmate heated jacket that fits i bought 25 years ago.

Other than those, no luck finding gear. Even gloves are hard to come by, just bought a pair "3X" glove that were supposed to fit, but I look like OJ trying to get them on.

Anyone else have ideas on gear?

Thank you
BigLou

Been wearing my Motoport since 2014. Wash it a few times a year. Kevlar mesh breathes really well. Went through several brands....alpinestars, olympia and others. After a crash I decided to get serious. Motoport has been my best friend over the last 105K MILES.

Aerostich makes custom suits.
One advantage of motoport over areostich is cooling. I've ridden with too many guys with aerostich that immediately, upon stopping, are peeling out of the one piece coverall style areostich suits. Motoport on the other hand is like wearing shade. Aerostich is probably fine in cold climate and do offer very good protection and custom fit.

A 400 pound guy might appreciate the cooler suit. I've always estimated about a 15% airflow through the mesh which is perfect in the hot. Also very easy to stop that air with a light windbreaker underneath.

Do not buy any of the liners they have for sale.

I looked at motoport gear. I'd love to have some. The one piece aerostich was mostly for cool and cold weather. I bought it used on eBay for $425. I added a bohn armor back protector, made for my suit, for $25 on closeout. I agree mesh is cooler. I do have a couple of mesh jackets, a bohn armor mesh shirt and some bohn armor all season pants as well. If one has deep enough pockets, by all means, buy the motoport. If someone wants to buy me some, I'll be ever so grateful.šŸ¤‘šŸ˜Š

One advantage of motoport over areostich is cooling. I've ridden with too many guys with aerostich that immediately, upon stopping, are peeling out of the one piece coverall style areostich suits. Motoport on the other hand is like wearing shade. Aerostich is probably fine in cold climate and do offer very good protection and custom fit.

A 400 pound guy might appreciate the cooler suit. I've always estimated about a 15% airflow through the mesh which is perfect in the hot. Also very easy to stop that air with a light windbreaker underneath.

Do not buy any of the liners they have for sale.
Totally agree with you on the liners. I ride down to about 27 degrees with the Motoport and Warm N Safe Jacket underneath. Plenty warm with FOrma Boots the wind protection from the Connie and layers on the legs. The one time I needed a little more I put my old Frogg Toggs over the top of the warm n safe to cut the wind.

Motoport is not expensive when I added up all the other gear it replaced and the longevity the Kevlar Mesh has. I am about to send it back 7 years land over a `1ooK miles later to have the liners replaced. I know the Alpinestars/Olympia it replaced when I landed in the hospital in a Coma for 9 days and 16 surgeries ago tells me that the cost of the Motoport is well worth it to me. It is cool, comfy and easy to maintain and wear. Cost per mile is cheap. I have put my Kawi Mesh, Bilt, Olympia and other gear on for short rides into town....just does not inspire the confidence I have in the Kevlar Mesh but to each his own.

My favorite moment is when I roll up and get off the bike and my Harley friends all laugh as I take off the jacket..."Freeman....ain't that thing hot?" I hold it up and ask them if they can see the daylight through it...."no hotter than wearing a screen door" I reply
shoei.jpg

What's the problem with the liners? Seems like a fair amount of HD riders just aren't interested in wearing any protective gear at all. More concerned about the HD rider look. It's a free country.

If one has deep enough pockets, by all means, buy the motoport.
It not cheap at first but as Freebird said, cost per mile is low because it's the last outfit you'll buy. I hadn't looked at prices lately. I bought mine for under 800 12 years ago. They've gone up but still less than aerostich roadcrafter, (over $1500)!

What's the problem with the liners?
They don't keep you dry. Like Tom says, Frogg Togs on top of everything and your good for the day. I use aerostich 3 fingered waterproof overgloves tucked up under the Frogg tog sleeves which works well.

."no hotter than wearing a screen door
I use this phrase all the time!

Reactions: Bud
I have a two piece. Never saw a one piece motoport? I kinda messed up I think when I ordered the waist length top. I thought it would be more comfortable and maybe it is. But I think now I'd get the longer version for more protection while sliding on your back. Especially feet first, you don't want that thing riding up your back exposing skin. I did have a zipper installed to tie the halves together. Lol. I can't even find the stupid zipper ,leave alone actually zipping it.

What about truly short guys? :D Just because we were created with quality in mind instead of quantity, doesn't mean we should be left out. ;)

Chris

What about truly short guys? :D Just because we were created with quality in mind instead of quantity, doesn't mean we should be left out. ;)

Chris
Was checking out Ebay awhile back and saw alot of small sizes in Motoport gear . Not much for larger sizes though .

I wrote an extensive blog review thing 15 years ago about my experience with the Motoport Air Mesh Kevlar gear. I sold the bike about 3 years after I wrote it (kept the gear) and then when I bought another Connie last summer, I got the gear back down out of the attic and wear it still (MUCH snugger now as my waistline increased with age). Here is a link - https://motoport.blogspot.com/

It is solid stuff. The hi-viz has faded some from when it was new but that happens with all hi-viz gear I believe. I HAVE been toying with getting an Aerostich Roadcrafter for the ease of use BUT I also understand that the abrasion and tear resistance of my Motoport stuff is superior to the Cordura that Aerostich uses. It DOES breathe like a screen door - but if you are out west where its dry, a Stich may be a better option as the mesh just allows for too rapid of sweat evaporation rather than cooling (doesn't apply to me though as I'm in Georgia - the land of humidity) It's darn bulky though and doesn't fold up as compact as I think a stich would (which makes packing it in the Givi when I stop a little difficult).

Aerostich for me. They make them in MN and can accomidate just about any size & shape. I have had 2 one-piece Roadcrafters, a waterproof leather Transit suit and I am on my 3rd two-piece light.
Because I ride in central FL, I currently use a 2 piece (Roadcrafter Light jacket w/AD1 Light jeans)
Up to about 85 degrees they are fine. When it gets to 90-95 degrees they are still ok on the freeway but uncomfortable for in town stop and go traffic.
The thing I like best is never having to stop and put on rain gear, and it rains a lot in sunny FL. Gortex is one of the best breathable waterproof fabrics. The jackets have supper large vents under the arms that really work.
As far as cost I find them pretty economical. I can buy my current suit for about $1000, use it for 4 years/100,000 miles and sell it on ebay for $500.

Interesting finding the other day....considering we big guys are not aerodynamic at all.

I had a zipper pull come off a sleeve after 7 years and 100K miles on the Motoport. While waiting for the YKK pulls to come in I put on a Textile jacket I had in order to ride Friday night. As I was riding, I spoke to the person in my Headset....." boy this wind is significant tonite" ....didn't get much of a reply. Next day I did a couple of hundred miles and noted the wind was again affecting my ride filling my jacket and creating drag and flapping. I stopped and cinched down anything I could adjust and yank tight. or snap tighter. Still present. After I got home and recounted the 2 rides I came to the conclusion that the Motoport is a much different beast as the air flows through the Kevlar mesh and then through the Stretch Kevlar with no blousing or tenting of the material.

For us big guys this has some significance. Not only is it cooler for us sweathogs but it has less wind resistance. Weird way to find out but I am anxious to get the zipper pulls repaired and get back into it. This time of year I put the Warm n Safe liner on as anything below 60 degrees is downright chilly in the Motoport.

As for your gloves BIG LOU.....even if you went another way their gloves are pretty awesome. I have 7 years on one pair and 4 years on another. Easily 100K between the 2 pairs. FLow air well, 3-season gloves, not waterproof but really durable. Had to stitch the liner on the first pair at about 50k miles but the glove itself is probably gonna be with me for the life of my riding. It says racing but it works well for touring guys like me. Because the stretch Kevlar flows air it keeps your hands a lot cooler....more like the textile vs perfed leather. https://www.motoport.com/product/motoport-racing-glove/ Decided to try a textile glove I had in the bags from years ago and then switch to a leather glove on a trip when the gloves got wet in the rain.....I did not like the experience of either.

Custom sizing guide HTTP://www.motoport.com/sizing-guides/sizing-guide-for-gloves/ THey have a unique way of sizing and making them to fit you. May want to call out and talk to them about your size and concerns.

Great advice guys, now how about Boots in size 18 US? LOL
Lace up

Or zip?

Composite and steel toes too on that site. Good luck with motorcycle specific 18s

I am 6'2'' and 370. If you're looking for off-the rack stuff rather than custom, I would start with Firstgear. I've worn 4XL Kilimanjaro jackets since they came out about 15 years ago. The 3/4 length works well for my longer torso and they are rugged, durable and waterproof and properly sized for a big guy. Firstgear also have regular and 3/4 length mesh jackets although my 3/4 mesh is cut more snugly that the other two.

I sourced pants from JTS (jtsbikerclothing.com,) in England. They offer pants up to 60 inch waist and lengths from extra short to extra long. Currently wearing their Explorer Evo pants; their regular length works well for my 31" inseam. I also still have and use the first pair I purchased from them 10 years ago; they have held up very well but are no longer waterproof.

Attachments

• 20220905_130308.jpg
    20220905_130308.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 68