• WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE ABLE TO POST AND ACCESS MEMBER ONLY CONTENT AND FEATURES
    Join / Upgrade / Renew your membership to enjoy full membership and posting privileges.
    For simple instructions, click here
  • Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Windshield brackets

Tipp Custom Parts

Tricycle
Industry Vendor
Replace your broken, or ready to break, windshield sliding bracket with one of these. $165 shipped USPS priority.

Attachments

• 20220424_184631[4320].jpg
    20220424_184631[4320].jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 88

Tipp Custom Parts

Tricycle
Industry Vendor

Tipp Custom Parts

Tricycle
Industry Vendor
I just made 6 more. One is going to the National as a raffle item. So, 5 for sale. The one in these pictures is all shined up for the raffle.

Attachments

• 20220517_085855[4461].jpg
    20220517_085855[4461].jpg
    395.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 20220517_085845[4460].jpg
    20220517_085845[4460].jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 49

freebird6

Ha.

That's purdy. I have to remember my Sharpie and have you autograph it on the bike. You will have to collect your NIL money as part of the original price :D

Tipp Custom Parts

Tricycle
Industry Vendor
I had a nice visit today with Freebird6, (Tom). He lives in Indiana now, but grew up here in the metropolis. So I replaced his windshield bracket on his 2018 while we visited. I did notice that it appears that kawasaki did make the newer brackets stronger, although I don't have an older one to compare with. Regardless, Tom reports that on his 2 hr ride home that the windshield is much more rigid and the annoying rattling noise from the shaking is gone.

freebird6

Kind of put it through the test today with Headwinds and Crosswinds reported to have 55 MPH gusts. Feels very tight and not much of the flex we just get used to with the various windscreens. I have ridden on all 3 of my C14s with Cal Sci, Aeroflow, V streams, Puigs and all have been a little loose and flexy. I really was not thinking about it on the 73 mile trip home but noticed it felt stiff and solid into the crosswinds and gusts Looking forward to miles of no worries. I will put the stronger brace off the 18 over on the 2013 and see if I can telll a difference. Do we lube these things?

282546695_10158920610025098_8581264799703040677_n.jpg

Tipp Custom Parts

Tricycle
Industry Vendor
Yes they showed a big barn missing its roof in Greenville after you passed through. No lube required, the plastic bearing material is called uhmw-pe. It's the poor man's teflon and used extensively where you need something slippery. They line dump truck beds with it or use it for conveyor belt applications of all types. If it's white then it's virgin and can be used for food preparation. If it's black it contains some recycled material and is a little harder which is good for machinabilty. (Your lesson for the day) haha.

Last edited:

Tipp Custom Parts

Tricycle
Industry Vendor
Well those went fast. I'll start 10 more, should be ready next week.

I drove to Columbus last evening to meet a guy half way. He was worried about his upcoming trip and the windshield was shaking 3/4 inch at the top. He installed the bracket and texted that it improved by 90%. Even better when not in full up position.

chrismpero

Following.. i have a 16 with a Vstream. The shake on the highway is annoying and a distraction. I tried to gaze at the brackets/trim pieces while it was doing it and it was hard to tell if it's the mechanism or the screen itself. Idk..

Tipp Custom Parts

Tricycle
Industry Vendor
In Tom's post above, he says he didn't even notice the loose and flexible condition on his 2018 with 22k on it. Until it was gone. He's had 3 C14s and half a dozen windshields.

I had a Vstream for a short time, years ago. I remember it shaking pretty bad. So that could be part of your situation. I think I remember that they are made of lexan which is much stronger than regular acrylic shields. So they made them thinner which allows the wiggle.

2andblue

Following.. i have a 16 with a Vstream. The shake on the highway is annoying and a distraction. I tried to gaze at the brackets/trim pieces while it was doing it and it was hard to tell if it's the mechanism or the screen itself. Idk..
Definitely the brackets move on my machine (2017). unsure if it’s a ‘problem’ or just a condition that will last without true consequence forever.

I like peace of mind, we are spirited riders pushing the boundaries often, broken several windshields - now finally got the right combo and no more windshield breaks.

@Tipp Custom Parts any specific testing been done for extended periods, weather any problem with the slide material cold/hot, has this been tested? We travel 15K - 25K mikes per year and ride in all weather, road conditions (some terrible here in PA) and would like to know the ruggedness testing and warranty?

zarticus

Definitely the brackets move on my machine (2017). unsure if it’s a ‘problem’ or just a condition that will last without true consequence forever.

I like peace of mind, we are spirited riders pushing the boundaries often, broken several windshields - now finally got the right combo and no more windshield breaks.

@Tipp Custom Parts any specific testing been done for extended periods, weather any problem with the slide material cold/hot, has this been tested? We travel 15K - 25K mikes per year and ride in all weather, road conditions (some terrible here in PA) and would like to know the ruggedness testing and warranty?
This is not a HUGE manufacturer, He's just one of us that has built & designed a great replacement for a wear item. You can buy the Kawasaki replacement for over $800 and maybe get a 30 day warranty !.

Tipp Custom Parts

Tricycle
Industry Vendor
I've used mine for over 100k miles. Using the largest barn door available (aeroflow). I do ride at high speed quite often, so the results are in.

Actually I wouldn't even offer these for sale without the 100k mile test period. I'm comfortable. I did look at mine recently when goatmar first contacted me, I wanted to verify fitment of the new and improved light weight unit. While mine was off I measured the wear on the plastic bearing surfaces and it hadn't worn more than a .001 or .002 in all those years.

This is not a HUGE manufacturer, He's just one of us
This is correct. It's a hobby. Luckily I enjoyed my lifetime career so much that I can enjoy it as a hobby. But I do know a lot about metals and strength and methods. It's not like I'm out in the shed with a hacksaw and a file. Warranty, hmmm, I'll guarantee it not to break or spread open like a stocker. For a year. I'd have to see it.

2andblue

This is not a HUGE manufacturer, He's just one of us that has built & designed a great replacement for a wear item. You can buy the Kawasaki replacement for over $800 and maybe get a 30 day warranty !.
If mine breaks it’s going under warranty, for sure not paying $800..!

What I don’t want though is to be in the middle of nowhere and have that failure occur - leaving next Friday for Colorado, Utah and Arizona - riding out from eastern PA. This will be in the back of my mind, so I may want to make a preemptive replacement someday.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

2andblue

I've used mine for over 100k miles. Using the largest barn door available (aeroflow). I do ride at high speed quite often, so the results are in.

Actually I wouldn't even offer these for sale without the 100k mile test period. I'm comfortable. I did look at mine recently when goatmar first contacted me, I wanted to verify fitment of the new and improved light weight unit. While mine was off I measured the wear on the plastic bearing surfaces and it hadn't worn more than a .001 or .002 in all those years.

This is correct. It's a hobby. Luckily I enjoyed my lifetime career so much that I can enjoy it as a hobby. But I do know a lot about metals and strength and methods. It's not like I'm out in the shed with a hacksaw and a file. Warranty, hmmm, I'll guarantee it not to break or spread open like a stocker. For a year. I'd have to see it.
Impressively small amount of wear over 100K miles, I may have missed the testimonial of mileage etc, earlier on.

Sending you a message - maybe let’s be preemptive?

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Tipp Custom Parts

Tricycle
Industry Vendor
Here's a picture of one of the latest installs. The 4 bolts that need removed and replaced with the ones I supply are circled. Use Loctite. Thats all the instructions you need.

This particular bike had movement at the top of the windshield of 3/4 of an inch. The new bracket reduced the movement by 90% (his words).

Notably in the picture you can see a thin line where the stock contact point is. It's a small area and the bearing wears quickly. This is true even on the newer models that have a strengthened bearing support area. They still used the single point bearing insert and it does wear. I saw this on the 2018 with 22k miles when I did the install. My design has the bearing area spread over most of the metal track.

Attachments

• Inked33762[4513]_LI.jpg
    Inked33762[4513]_LI.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

freebird6

I have been going back and forth between the 2013 with the stock mechanism and the stock shield and the 2018 with the upgraded mechanism and stock shield. Probably a thousand miles in the past couple of weeks.... The upgraded mechanism is really NON vibratory and has none of the chatter and flex I got from the original. It is a real contrast to my 2013. This morning I ran to Indy on a wide open highway with no visible traffic at a higher rate of speed and found it to be really nice and solid at that rate (not gonna say how fast it was though I'm pretty sure the Porsche ahead of me was trying to get a felony performance award) . I found a huge and marked contrast to the 2013 I took to Michigan this past Monday.

I have complete confidence this thing is going to go the distance without fail. If anyone ever has a failure in their lifetime I would be shocked. I watched you put the Loctite on so I ain't skeered of it coming loose. I am still fascinated by the tape replacing the need for lubrication.... Been around enough guys who have ridden with you to know that your Barn Door on the front of that 08 takes a beatin in the wind.

zarticus

I have been going back and forth between the 2013 with the stock mechanism and the stock shield and the 2018 with the upgraded mechanism and stock shield. Probably a thousand miles in the past couple of weeks.... The upgraded mechanism is really NON vibratory and has none of the chatter and flex I got from the original. It is a real contrast to my 2013. This morning I ran to Indy on a wide open highway with no visible traffic at a higher rate of speed and found it to be really nice and solid at that rate (not gonna say how fast it was though I'm pretty sure the Porsche ahead of me was trying to get a felony performance award) . I found a huge and marked contrast to the 2013 I took to Michigan this past Monday.

I have complete confidence this thing is going to go the distance without fail. If anyone ever has a failure in their lifetime I would be shocked. I watched you put the Loctite on so I ain't skeered of it coming loose. I am still fascinated by the tape replacing the need for lubrication.... Been around enough guys who have ridden with you to know that your Barn Door on the front of that 08 takes a beatin in the wind.
What did you mean by "I am still fascinated by the tape replacing the need for lubrication" ?

Tipp Custom Parts

Tricycle
Industry Vendor
Thanks again for the kind words again, Tom. Im a little surprised the 18 had so much shake.

Its not tape. There are 2 plastic inserts that contact the metal runner. 1/4 diameter x 1/2 long, made of, uhmw-pe.

Tipp Custom Parts

Tricycle
Industry Vendor
I just finished 7 more of these things. 3 are gone already. Somebody asked me at the rally how much time I had in them. I said 2.5 hrs. and boy was I wrong. I never kept track of time because I just worked on and off in my spare time. but now under pressure to finish this batch, I discover it took 1.5 hours for just the one little bearing holder piece and assembly. So now I'm guessing close to 4 hours a piece.