• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Windshield brackets

I just made 6 more. One is going to the National as a raffle item. So, 5 for sale. The one in these pictures is all shined up for the raffle.

Attachments

• 20220517_085855[4461].jpg
    20220517_085855[4461].jpg
    395.7 KB · Views: 233
  • 20220517_085845[4460].jpg
    20220517_085845[4460].jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 229
Ha.

That's purdy. I have to remember my Sharpie and have you autograph it on the bike. You will have to collect your NIL money as part of the original price :D

I had a nice visit today with Freebird6, (Tom). He lives in Indiana now, but grew up here in the metropolis. So I replaced his windshield bracket on his 2018 while we visited. I did notice that it appears that kawasaki did make the newer brackets stronger, although I don't have an older one to compare with. Regardless, Tom reports that on his 2 hr ride home that the windshield is much more rigid and the annoying rattling noise from the shaking is gone.

Kind of put it through the test today with Headwinds and Crosswinds reported to have 55 MPH gusts. Feels very tight and not much of the flex we just get used to with the various windscreens. I have ridden on all 3 of my C14s with Cal Sci, Aeroflow, V streams, Puigs and all have been a little loose and flexy. I really was not thinking about it on the 73 mile trip home but noticed it felt stiff and solid into the crosswinds and gusts Looking forward to miles of no worries. I will put the stronger brace off the 18 over on the 2013 and see if I can telll a difference. Do we lube these things?

282546695_10158920610025098_8581264799703040677_n.jpg

Yes they showed a big barn missing its roof in Greenville after you passed through. No lube required, the plastic bearing material is called uhmw-pe. It's the poor man's teflon and used extensively where you need something slippery. They line dump truck beds with it or use it for conveyor belt applications of all types. If it's white then it's virgin and can be used for food preparation. If it's black it contains some recycled material and is a little harder which is good for machinabilty. (Your lesson for the day) haha.

Last edited:
Well those went fast. I'll start 10 more, should be ready next week.

I drove to Columbus last evening to meet a guy half way. He was worried about his upcoming trip and the windshield was shaking 3/4 inch at the top. He installed the bracket and texted that it improved by 90%. Even better when not in full up position.

Following.. i have a 16 with a Vstream. The shake on the highway is annoying and a distraction. I tried to gaze at the brackets/trim pieces while it was doing it and it was hard to tell if it's the mechanism or the screen itself. Idk..

In Tom's post above, he says he didn't even notice the loose and flexible condition on his 2018 with 22k on it. Until it was gone. He's had 3 C14s and half a dozen windshields.

I had a Vstream for a short time, years ago. I remember it shaking pretty bad. So that could be part of your situation. I think I remember that they are made of lexan which is much stronger than regular acrylic shields. So they made them thinner which allows the wiggle.

Following.. i have a 16 with a Vstream. The shake on the highway is annoying and a distraction. I tried to gaze at the brackets/trim pieces while it was doing it and it was hard to tell if it's the mechanism or the screen itself. Idk..
Definitely the brackets move on my machine (2017). unsure if it’s a ‘problem’ or just a condition that will last without true consequence forever.

I like peace of mind, we are spirited riders pushing the boundaries often, broken several windshields - now finally got the right combo and no more windshield breaks.

@Tipp Custom Parts any specific testing been done for extended periods, weather any problem with the slide material cold/hot, has this been tested? We travel 15K - 25K mikes per year and ride in all weather, road conditions (some terrible here in PA) and would like to know the ruggedness testing and warranty?

Definitely the brackets move on my machine (2017). unsure if it’s a ‘problem’ or just a condition that will last without true consequence forever.

I like peace of mind, we are spirited riders pushing the boundaries often, broken several windshields - now finally got the right combo and no more windshield breaks.

@Tipp Custom Parts any specific testing been done for extended periods, weather any problem with the slide material cold/hot, has this been tested? We travel 15K - 25K mikes per year and ride in all weather, road conditions (some terrible here in PA) and would like to know the ruggedness testing and warranty?
This is not a HUGE manufacturer, He's just one of us that has built & designed a great replacement for a wear item. You can buy the Kawasaki replacement for over $800 and maybe get a 30 day warranty !.

I've used mine for over 100k miles. Using the largest barn door available (aeroflow). I do ride at high speed quite often, so the results are in.

Actually I wouldn't even offer these for sale without the 100k mile test period. I'm comfortable. I did look at mine recently when goatmar first contacted me, I wanted to verify fitment of the new and improved light weight unit. While mine was off I measured the wear on the plastic bearing surfaces and it hadn't worn more than a .001 or .002 in all those years.

This is not a HUGE manufacturer, He's just one of us
This is correct. It's a hobby. Luckily I enjoyed my lifetime career so much that I can enjoy it as a hobby. But I do know a lot about metals and strength and methods. It's not like I'm out in the shed with a hacksaw and a file. Warranty, hmmm, I'll guarantee it not to break or spread open like a stocker. For a year. I'd have to see it.

This is not a HUGE manufacturer, He's just one of us that has built & designed a great replacement for a wear item. You can buy the Kawasaki replacement for over $800 and maybe get a 30 day warranty !.
If mine breaks it’s going under warranty, for sure not paying $800..!

What I don’t want though is to be in the middle of nowhere and have that failure occur - leaving next Friday for Colorado, Utah and Arizona - riding out from eastern PA. This will be in the back of my mind, so I may want to make a preemptive replacement someday.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

I've used mine for over 100k miles. Using the largest barn door available (aeroflow). I do ride at high speed quite often, so the results are in.

Actually I wouldn't even offer these for sale without the 100k mile test period. I'm comfortable. I did look at mine recently when goatmar first contacted me, I wanted to verify fitment of the new and improved light weight unit. While mine was off I measured the wear on the plastic bearing surfaces and it hadn't worn more than a .001 or .002 in all those years.

This is correct. It's a hobby. Luckily I enjoyed my lifetime career so much that I can enjoy it as a hobby. But I do know a lot about metals and strength and methods. It's not like I'm out in the shed with a hacksaw and a file. Warranty, hmmm, I'll guarantee it not to break or spread open like a stocker. For a year. I'd have to see it.
Impressively small amount of wear over 100K miles, I may have missed the testimonial of mileage etc, earlier on.

Sending you a message - maybe let’s be preemptive?

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Here's a picture of one of the latest installs. The 4 bolts that need removed and replaced with the ones I supply are circled. Use Loctite. Thats all the instructions you need.

This particular bike had movement at the top of the windshield of 3/4 of an inch. The new bracket reduced the movement by 90% (his words).

Notably in the picture you can see a thin line where the stock contact point is. It's a small area and the bearing wears quickly. This is true even on the newer models that have a strengthened bearing support area. They still used the single point bearing insert and it does wear. I saw this on the 2018 with 22k miles when I did the install. My design has the bearing area spread over most of the metal track.

Attachments

• Inked33762[4513]_LI.jpg
    Inked33762[4513]_LI.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:
I have been going back and forth between the 2013 with the stock mechanism and the stock shield and the 2018 with the upgraded mechanism and stock shield. Probably a thousand miles in the past couple of weeks.... The upgraded mechanism is really NON vibratory and has none of the chatter and flex I got from the original. It is a real contrast to my 2013. This morning I ran to Indy on a wide open highway with no visible traffic at a higher rate of speed and found it to be really nice and solid at that rate (not gonna say how fast it was though I'm pretty sure the Porsche ahead of me was trying to get a felony performance award) . I found a huge and marked contrast to the 2013 I took to Michigan this past Monday.

I have complete confidence this thing is going to go the distance without fail. If anyone ever has a failure in their lifetime I would be shocked. I watched you put the Loctite on so I ain't skeered of it coming loose. I am still fascinated by the tape replacing the need for lubrication.... Been around enough guys who have ridden with you to know that your Barn Door on the front of that 08 takes a beatin in the wind.

I have been going back and forth between the 2013 with the stock mechanism and the stock shield and the 2018 with the upgraded mechanism and stock shield. Probably a thousand miles in the past couple of weeks.... The upgraded mechanism is really NON vibratory and has none of the chatter and flex I got from the original. It is a real contrast to my 2013. This morning I ran to Indy on a wide open highway with no visible traffic at a higher rate of speed and found it to be really nice and solid at that rate (not gonna say how fast it was though I'm pretty sure the Porsche ahead of me was trying to get a felony performance award) . I found a huge and marked contrast to the 2013 I took to Michigan this past Monday.

I have complete confidence this thing is going to go the distance without fail. If anyone ever has a failure in their lifetime I would be shocked. I watched you put the Loctite on so I ain't skeered of it coming loose. I am still fascinated by the tape replacing the need for lubrication.... Been around enough guys who have ridden with you to know that your Barn Door on the front of that 08 takes a beatin in the wind.
What did you mean by "I am still fascinated by the tape replacing the need for lubrication" ?

Thanks again for the kind words again, Tom. Im a little surprised the 18 had so much shake.

Its not tape. There are 2 plastic inserts that contact the metal runner. 1/4 diameter x 1/2 long, made of, uhmw-pe.

I just finished 7 more of these things. 3 are gone already. Somebody asked me at the rally how much time I had in them. I said 2.5 hrs. and boy was I wrong. I never kept track of time because I just worked on and off in my spare time. but now under pressure to finish this batch, I discover it took 1.5 hours for just the one little bearing holder piece and assembly. So now I'm guessing close to 4 hours a piece.

Blue has a TCP WS frame coming YAY!!!

I will measure it, however, estimate top of WS there is 1” of movement front to back, with stock frame and CalSci Large windshield.

2017 (new in 2018) ~52K miles, lots of highway speed travel and good # of closed road pulls to the speed of something real fast 😀. Some extended land-speed records led to windshields blowing up, found the right windshield now holds up - looking forward to the TCP bracket.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Blue has a TCP WS frame coming YAY!!!

I will measure it, however, estimate top of WS there is 1” of movement front to back, with stock frame and CalSci Large windshield.

2017 (new in 2018) ~52K miles, lots of highway speed travel and good # of closed road pulls to the speed of something real fast 😀. Some extended land-speed records led to windshields blowing up, found the right windshield now holds up - looking forward to the TCP bracket.

Wayne, Carol & Blue
Installed the windshield bracket yesterday.

Prior to disassembly I measured actual For/Aft movement at top of Large CalSci it was 11/16” - 3/4”.

After install For/Aft movement is reduced to about 3/16”. Remaining looseness appears to be in the vertical channels / track.

The original looseness was either an opening of the slot at the
Bottom of the bracket that slides on the base of the windshield mechanism or wearing of the hard plastic (I don’t thinks it’s Teflon) that lines the slot.

Good product Dave,

Thank You,
Wayne, Carol & Blue

PS - Windshield is no longer rubbing the dashboard, there was some minor contact previously when windshield was fully lowered.

I have 2 available. Once I get down to 1, that will trigger 5 more available in a couple/three weeks. And I'll save that 1 for a broken-down emergency for somebody going on a ride that weekend.

If interested pm me for more info on how to get one.

Got a couple thousand miles on mine...still going back and forth between the daily driver 2013 and the 2018 with the bracket installed for longer trips. Rarely does a day go by on the 2013 when I go up the gravel lane to the road that I do not laugh at the chatter from the windshield that is absent on the 18. "Good morning baby" and she waves her windscreen and talks back to me.

Thanks for the product. Works.

Installed the windshield bracket yesterday.

Prior to disassembly I measured actual For/Aft movement at top of Large CalSci it was 11/16” - 3/4”.

After install For/Aft movement is reduced to about 3/16”. Remaining looseness appears to be in the vertical channels / track.

The original looseness was either an opening of the slot at the
Bottom of the bracket that slides on the base of the windshield mechanism or wearing of the hard plastic (I don’t thinks it’s Teflon) that lines the slot.

Good product Dave,

Thank You,
Wayne, Carol & Blue

PS - Windshield is no longer rubbing the dashboard, there was some minor contact previously when windshield was fully lowered.
Brief update, riding time has been a little dry…. First real use of the machine after the windshield bracket replaced and now with ~1,500 miles behind us 👍.

Windshield does not bounce around like before from wind blasts on highway, stands at appropriate angle constantly / no leaning back several degrees from the large amount of play that developed in original bracket.

So far so good!

Wayne, Carol & Blue

I've got 7 brackets in process. 3 are now spoken for. I'll pm those that are interested when they're done. Probably late next week.
edmoore@jarabek.ca needs a bracket for 2008 concours 14 please and thank you! A calsci xl wide folded down and I replaced bracket with used from a wrecker. But it had a twist... which I untwisted with a torch and vice, but now it sits tilted back a bit. I could torch again, or.... Brackets and things 🙂

edmoore@jarabek.ca needs a bracket for 2008 concours 14 please and thank you! A calsci xl wide folded down and I replaced bracket with used from a wrecker. But it had a twist... which I untwisted with a torch and vice, but now it sits tilted back a bit. I could torch again, or.... Brackets and things 🙂
The stock bracket is cast, You were able to heat and bend it without it just breaking ?

I've had a slow week dealing with doctors and b/p meds. Got it down to 165/105. o_O

I may or may not ship tomorrow, but definitely Tuesday (Monday is holiday).

Looks like 4 of the 7 are now spoken for. I'll send pm's shortly.

I did finally look up the year they changed part numbers and it was 2015. So, 2008-2014 look like the pictures below. I can't believe they haven't all broken. But heat is not the answer!

This is the last batch at $165, (3 left). I've gone through all the surplus aluminum I can find locally. So, a stick of 1/2 x 3/4 x 12ft was $10, is now $80.

So, the new price for paying COG members is $175, (shipped USPS priority 2-3 days for no more than $16.10). Nonpaying, forum only members is $212. Canadians will have to pay more for shipping. Last time I checked it was $44. So Canadians add $30.

Attachments

• 20220901_172930[4809].jpg
    20220901_172930[4809].jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 133
  • 20220901_172940[4810].jpg
    20220901_172940[4810].jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 137
  • 20220901_173002[4807].jpg
    20220901_173002[4807].jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
The stock bracket is cast, You were able to heat and bend it without it just breaking ?
Aluminum is interesting... Can bend at right temp. Any hotter and it melts. Colder and it snaps. I was careful, maybe lucky, that I got it hot, used vice and vice grips.

Aluminum is interesting.
I don't know much about bending or heating cast aluminum, but cast aluminum amplifies all problems. I do know quite a bit about wrought aluminum bar stock. Any high strength aluminum that can be age hardened to a temper of T6, T4, or T3 should not be heated to over 350 F. (It all starts to melt at approximately 950 F). But anything over 350 reduces strength significantly. Also bending reduces strength significantly. Both at the same time is detrimental to the strength. Any welding or bending that you see from a factory (oem) is done with special methods and is over engineered.

1 left at $165. Starting another batch soon.

Send PM if interested.

I've received some feedback on the recent price increase. Just so you know, I'm not making a killing on these things. About $35/hr. Before the increase I was basically giving the materials away.

New prices are;
Cog members $175
Nonmembers $212
Canadians add $30 for extra shipping.

PM for PayPal instructions.

Hey David

After looking at your pics I think I am going to throw that bracket off the 18 onto the 13 before it decides to fail. I noticed that the radar detector is hitting the windshield on the 13. I switched the radar detector to the 18 on the same mount and it is not close to touching the windshield. Hoping putting the 18 bracket on the older bike will beat the breakage and make the windshield sit up a bit more like it started out.

Ultimately, I suspect I will be looking at a second bracket for the commuter but time will tell. The tourer with the upgraded bracket went across the Mackinac bridge this weekend twice and got blown around pretty good and did not quiver or shake a bit. Solid with about 7 K miles since you installed it.

Another satisfied bracket customer (pete77) says:

Today at 6:59 AM
David,
I just wanted to tell you that I installed the bracket and took the bike out onto the freeway...WoW! A noticeable difference in the stability. Thank you again for the improvement on an already awesome bike.

Last edited:
In Tom's post above, he says he didn't even notice the loose and flexible condition on his 2018 with 22k on it. Until it was gone. He's had 3 C14s and half a dozen windshields.

I had a Vstream for a short time, years ago. I remember it shaking pretty bad. So that could be part of your situation. I think I remember that they are made of lexan which is much stronger than regular acrylic shields. So they made them thinner which allows the wiggle.
You are correct...

Installed the brackets on my 09 with the XL calsci windshield. Excellent quality and easy to install.

It definitely reduced the windshield shaking and provides piece of mind.

Hello BS, ( no pun intended)

I like to place an order for a bracket... I reached out to via pm ..

Rhythn

Brief update, riding time has been a little dry…. First real use of the machine after the windshield bracket replaced and now with ~1,500 miles behind us 👍.

Windshield does not bounce around like before from wind blasts on highway, stands at appropriate angle constantly / no leaning back several degrees from the large amount of play that developed in original bracket.

So far so good!

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Riding rut continues, but we’ve managed 5,000 miles since install late August - all tight still.

Had a blast from a semi today that the windshield firmly stood up to and laughed!

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Just installed the bracket during my 15K Maintenance. During my first test ride yesterday, and I noticed how the XL CalSci was more stable at speed. I only had some fluttering before, but the with the new bracket the screen is rock solid.

It surprises me how quickly we as humans can adjust to our environment when it is not optimal. This can be a good thing or sometimes a bad thing.

In hindsight, before the install, I did wonder if my windscreen should be moving as much as it did when I was cruising fast enough to get a ticket anywhere in the US. 🤫

Great product!

Thanks Dave,
Dimitrius

Hey BS, I just wanted to let you I received my bracket.
Wow, the billet bracket is a beast compared to the OEM.

Thanks again for the quick mail delivery and taking the time to accommodate.

You Da man!!

Thanks for the kind words Rhythm.

I made 7 and 3 are now gone. 4 are left, would make a good Christmas present for the wife. Probably won't make any more till January.

Starting on some H frames soon.

Last edited:
Another satisfied bracket customer (pete77) says:

Today at 6:59 AM
David,
I just wanted to tell you that I installed the bracket and took the bike out onto the freeway...WoW! A noticeable difference in the stability. Thank you again for the improvement on an already awesome bike.

They work well, I ordered one just because I can.

I mean, I did not think I had any issue with mine, but what the hey, stronger is better right?

So I put the V stream big windshield on for the winter. Anyone that has tried the National Vstream can tell you they move around at highway.

speeds, not no more, this bracket is an upgrade, and I'm very happy with the results,

one solid windshield, NOW.

I just made 6 more. One is going to the National as a raffle item. So, 5 for sale. The one in these pictures is all shined up for the raffle.

Nice ! A friend of mine had his OEM bracket 0n his '08 break @ around 130 mph. Maybe I should replace mine before that happens.

Does this bracket fit an '08 ? How difficult is it to replace ??

I just installed one this weekend, it was very simple. Very stout product, and a good design. Clean any old lube off the fixed track that the new bracket slides on.

FWIW I torqued these to 40 in-lbs w/ blue Loctite. I looked in the FSM for a torque spec just for fun, couldn't find one, so used the standard 5mm fastener spec.

Too cold to ride/test right now, but the windscreen appears to have less movement fore/aft.

FWIW I torqued these to 40 in-lbs w/ blue Loctite. I looked in the FSM for a torque spec just for fun, couldn't find one, so used the standard 5mm fastener spec.
Thanks for that. Its not supposed to be a replacsble item so no torque spec is available. I just tighten them up good and tight until the long end of a ball drive Allen wrench flexes a little. Probably about 40 in/lbs ;) lol.

Edit to add. Read post 74 below. I prefer 70 inch/lbs.

Last edited:
Fastenova got me thinking about torque values on the 4 bolts holding this bracket to the motorcycle. 40 in/lbs seemed light to me. So I had to assemble a couple brackets today for shipment. I use an assembly fixture with the same threaded holes as the motorcycle. I did my typical tightening using an Allen wrench and observed that the long end of the wrench was flexing close to 3/4 of an inch. So I used a torque wrench to see how tight that actually is and found it to be 70 in/lbs. I feel 70 is better than 40. It's what I call "good and tight" without approaching thread damage. Not even close. I've used that same fixture to assemble close to 40 of these brackets, with no damage or wear to the threads. The aluminum in the cast brackets that you're bolting to on the motorcycle is harder and stronger than my fixture. So I recommend 60/70 in/lbs of torque. Or good and tight.

Some of those torque values in the manual, are a general value for some of the stock bolts that seem to be made of cheese. They stretch easily. That is not the case here.

Last edited:
My one-year membership as a vender will expire end of April and I'm going to let it die. Interest has completely died since the new year, I guess everyone who wanted one got one. I'll still make some if I get enough requests and you can pm me at my Laker9142 membership to add your name to a list.

My one-year membership as a vender will expire end of April and I'm going to let it die. Interest has completely died since the new year, I guess everyone who wanted one got one. I'll still make some if I get enough requests and you can pm me at my Laker9142 membership to add your name to a list.
It’s early in the year - as more people get their machines dusted off the more requests will come in.

Wish you’d stay as a vendor supporting the site? Additionally, aren’t you looking at a lower frame mod?

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Thanks for the words of encouragement but the vendor thing isn't really necessary. I may inquire about a sticky in the accessory category. Thats really all I wanted the vendor slot for, just to make it easy to find. I've even been told by an AD that the vendor slot is unnecessary, mostly because I don't want any advertising. Which is exactly why you would want to be an industry vendor.

That frame mod you mentioned is something I never should have mentioned. I actually looked and thought about it this winter when I had my shock out for rebuild. That's a considerable amount of development for a very few interested owners. And then I went and took a nap.

Just want to say thank you for an excellent windscreen bracket upgrade for the COG community. As 2andblue inquired, will you be taking on the swingarm bracket for the Connie in the future ? I for one am VERY interested in this upgrade. I feel it addresses a much more important problem than the windscreen issue. Just let me know if you have any plan on taking this on....Thank you, Sean.

Just want to say thank you for an excellent windscreen bracket upgrade for the COG community. As 2andblue inquired, will you be taking on the swingarm bracket for the Connie in the future ? I for one am VERY interested in this upgrade. I feel it addresses a much more important problem than the windscreen issue. Just let me know if you have any plan on taking this on....Thank you, Sean.
I bet for the right price he would. Limited production stuff gets pricey quick though.

Sorry for the disappointment Sean. I think there's a guy in Canada that's probably not very happy with me too. Jeff can probably make his own, at least a version of it. I think Buds right, the motivation just wasn't there this winter, not necessarily money. Started off with a BAD case of covid in Oct/Nov and just never got any motivation back. Plus being busy. And changing designs was a bad idea, that would mean proving it out on my own bike for a year and probably making changes along the way. So, IF I ever do make some it will be of the current design I've been running for 10-12 years. But even that is a process, due to having to make it fit your bike in Florida without the opportunity to fit it up, on my bench. It can easily be done but takes time and good weld fixtures.

Thank you, Laker. I completely understand. I appreciate your response. I will work with Jeff and maybe some other fabricator who understands your engineering. I feel upgrading the swing arm bushings would reduce 50 % of the flex, maybe a Delrin design ? Hmmmm. I know the Connie will never be at the level it should without your engineering. The flexing swingarm is a NO-GO. I will keep you posted...Sean

I wouldn't recommend Delrin because it's soft and will deform under heavy load. If you want to use plain bearings, bearing bronze would be better. But they require regular lubrication. 660/932 bronze.

Last edited:
This Industry vendor account is inactive.
You can PM me at my Laker9142 account if you want a replacement windshield bracket.

See post #87. Two posts prior to yours. Price is now $175.

$200 for non members.

Last edited: