• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

windshield choices

John_Atkinson

OK so I am wondering what folks have to say about the windscreen options for the C-10.

I have had a Rifle on since Zeke was new (first the 19", then changed to the 17" a couple of years back), but have seen the Cee Bailey's and then the CalSci. No one seems to have any experience with the CalSci but how about the C-B?

I won a Cee Baily a couple of yrs. ago at the Vermont Rally. Ordered the height I wanted and the vent also. Top of the shield sets closer to you and you see more of the road which seems nice. Being thicker than a my old Rifle it doesn't flex as much so the fit is not quite as good as the Rifle. All in all I like them both and have switched a couple of times and no complaints about either other than the fit. Still have my Rifle and may put it back on just for the change in looks.

I had the stock screen on my C10, then went to a Rifle with a 17" homemade screen.  The Rifle was much better. Then I got a Madstad and experienced perfection.  I'll never go back to anything else, though this is just my opinion and others have had not so good experiences with Madstad.  You rolls the dice, you takes your chances.

I've used a stocker then a Givi then a cut down stocker and now a CeeBailey. Stocker stunk too much turbulence. The Givi was way better and being tinted is the coolest looking one. Cut down the stocker just about even with the fairing on the sides painted black lotsa air at the chest and helmet good for summer hot weather cruising but not a good high speed 60+ slabber for long distances because of noise and upper body/helmet turbulence. Then Cee Bailey with vent came along not the prettiest but most practical less turbulence than Givi with some air coming from vent. The design brings the top of the shield back towards the rider more than others. Fitment can be a problem as I have read. One of the top holes had to be longated to align to nut on mine. One other thing I've noticed is that being thicker material where my Givi would flex in high speed the CB stays more rigid and flexes more at the fairing when going over bumps and such. I'll have to keep an eye on the upper fairing mount.

John_Atkinson said:
thanks everyone for the feedback.

For those of you with the Madstad, what is that makes this option better to you?

Everything!
I have almost zero buffeting now.
I don't have a vacuum pulling my head forward anymore.
Infact I could probably smoke behind it if I wanted to.
But the best thing is my wife loves it. She said she gets to see a lot more not having to have her head right behind mine because the wind liked to bounce her around.
Oh and we can now use the intercom at 70 mph before anything above 50 we would have to wait till the next stop.

The one problem I have is now I have no speed judgment before the worse the buffeting the faster I was going. :)

wile_e_coyote said:
John_Atkinson said:

For those of you with the Madstad, what is that makes this option better to you?

Everything!
But the best thing is my wife loves it. She said she gets to see a lot more not having to have her head right behind mine because the wind liked to bounce her around.
Oh and we can now use the intercom at 70 mph before anything above 50 we would have to wait till the next stop.

The one problem I have is now I have no speed judgment before the worse the buffeting the faster I was going. :)

+++++++1.  I've managed to burn one (it was a Marlboro, honest) behind the Madstad.

How about some pictures of the Madstad set ups on some C10's,this might be my next Farkle for my 99 connie. I went to website for Madstad the pictures stink. Or a video would even be better.

Here you go.
Can't keep my thumb out. :)

Attachments

• photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    235.8 KB · Views: 183
  • photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    205.3 KB · Views: 180
  • photo3.JPG
    photo3.JPG
    169.1 KB · Views: 181
Mettler1 said:
Ordered the height I wanted and the vent also. Top of the shield sets closer to you and you see more of the road which seems nice. ..... All in all I like them both and have switched a couple of times and no complaints about either

+1 on both.  I bought an '01 with a Rifle shield on it.  Replaced it with a 26" CeeBailey windscreen w/vent.  Like mine a lot.

wile_e_coyote said:
John_Atkinson said:

Everything!

Is this due to being able to set the height exactly they way you want it. OR is it more a related to the shape, maybe the distance, or combination.

Being able to set height and angle.
The shield sets forward of the bike. You would think air would just blow up the back of the shield but I think the shape of the shield pushes the air away in all directions.
I have been playing with height and angle and you can tell the difference. you can make the air stream above your head or right at your face.
I have it set to just go above my head and I can still see over the top of the shield.
To me it is cooler than the stock shield a little nice breezy air in the pocket I can feel it thru my mesh jacket.

Slybones said:
wile_e_coyote said:
John_Atkinson said:

Everything!

Is this due to being able to set the height exactly they way you want it. OR is it more a related to the shape, maybe the distance, or combination.

Slybones,

It has to be a combination of the angle adjustment, as well as the height adjustment...it's what makes this shield different!  It IS difficult to explain the calmness felt in the cockpit...while enjoying a smooth flow of air at the same time...and, while those two comments seem to contradict each other...I cannot come up with a better description of how it feels to ride behind a Madstad...

And...with that...I'll say...HTH...

CRocker weren't you running a riffle when you put on the Madstad? How did that compare?

CRocker also loaned me a large Cee Bailey with a vent to try out and I didn't think it was any better than the OEM.

I think he was trying to sell it to me. :) Then he made a mistake by installing a Madstad and posting a review. :))

The Rifle and the CB were better than stock...by a huge degree...

The Madstad is that much better again than the Rifle or CB...if that makes any sense...

I agree with CRocker the stocker has to be the worse for the air turmoil and noise in the cockpit. Anything with a vent is far better than the stock shield IMHO. I am surprised that Ma Kawi didn't re-engineer it when the newer model year upgrade occurred.

Bob_C_CT said:
I agree with CRocker the stocker has to be the worse for the air turmoil and noise in the cockpit. Anything with a vent is far better than the stock shield IMHO. I am surprised that Ma Kawi didn't re-engineer it when the newer model year upgrade occurred.

Well...after seeing where they put...and, left for 21 model years...the helmet locks...it doesn't
really surprise me... :-\