• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Winter tire pressure

mtnrider

I'm doing some riding during this cold season, even commuting (Denver area). In the morning the air temps are in the 30s and road temp sub-freezing and not quite that cold heading home. I've had a couple instances where the traction control kicked in when being a bit exuberant on the throttle that wouldn't happen when warmer. I run 41-42 PSI when it's warm. I'm wondering if traction would be improved if I ran 38-39 PSI while it's colder. My thinking; the tire & tread would be a little more flexible and a slightly larger contact patch with the cold rubber which I don't believe is getting near summer operating temps.  BTW, the concern for traction isn't for acceleration but cornering & stopping.

Your thought?

Thanks.
Leo

Really?  I always thought pressure increased with higher temperature and decreased with lower temperature.  If one sets tire pressures in the heat of the afternoon and checks them the next morning when it's cooler, they normally read lower.  Just my $.02.

It has to do with what the temperature is while you are filling the tires.  Filling to 42 lbs when it's cold will yield a higher pressure in the tire.  We all know tire pressures increase at the tire warms up.  If you want the tires to be an exact pressure, the chart allows you to make adjustments while filling depending on the temperature.   

In typical riding weather 40 to 95 or so I think thhe tires warm up to a certain running temp more or less, affected mre by the flexing than by ambient temp. But I think this may change a bit in really cold temps - say below freezing. At these temps I wonder if a normally inflated tire gets up to normal running temp. So, thinking that lower psi causes the tire to flex more, it heats up better and gives better traction in sub freezing weather. Just my thoughts, nothing to back it up.

MtnRider said:
I'm wondering if traction would be improved if I ran 38-39 PSI while it's colder. My thinking; the tire & tread would be a little more flexible and a slightly larger contact patch with the cold rubber which I don't believe is getting near summer operating temps.  BTW, the concern for traction isn't for acceleration but cornering & stopping.

Your thought?

Thanks.
Leo

Yes, bigger contact patch and will give a little more traction. Of course if your tires were almost bald to start with......?  :great:

If I remember correctly the 42PSI is at 60-65 degrees. As the temp drops so does the air pressure.

Fred
Wa2gzw