• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Wiring in Accessories

rlievenski4555

I plan to add heated grips as soon as I get my C14 out of winter storage. There are previous posts about adding a fuse block. It seems that the stock wiring harness has accessory sockets. Couldn’t one just plug into a socket that has the appropriate amperage available? Please provide any links to previous posts as I have not been successful with a key word search.

Using those accessory leads may not be the right choice as I think they're not switched power.
Could lead to a dead battery.

You should power the heated grips from switched power.

Ride safe, Ted

It's been some time since I was under the plastic and unsure if the ones you mentioned are switched or not.
Hopefully someone can clarify that.

I just wanted to highlight the need for switched power for the grips.

Ride safe, Ted

The ACC leads are not switched. Check the ACC fuse/circuit rating. (IIRC 10A) to determine if it is suitable for the intended use. This is the primary reason to add a Fuze box or equiv. The box is wired direct to battery and has individually fused circuits that can be set to be switched or alway on.

The ACC leads are not switched. Check the ACC fuse/circuit rating. (IIRC 10A) to determine if it is suitable for the intended use. This is the primary reason to add a Fuze box or equiv. The box is wired direct to battery and has individually fused circuits that can be set to be switched or alway on.
I'm with Steve on this... I made the mistake on my c10 of using the acc leads to power my auxiliary driving lights. This led to a J box failure (burnt out trace). Granted we don't have that on the c14. But I power all my accessories off an auxiliary fuse box. Mine has switched circuits and constant on..

Previous replies are spot on - get a aux. fuse block.
The accessory leads are hot all the time and are good for a GPS as you can change route info with the bike off with little risk of battery run-down. HTH.

Larry

There was a recent thread about aux fuse blocks and the different choices out there....search engine time.....lol. AGAIN....

Join for the bike, stay for the people...

This thread reminded me i needed to charge and update my Zumo XT. I could've sworn the acc wires behind the dash panel was switched, but according to above posts I'm wrong. 🤷🏻

Chris.

If the GPS has power with the key off - it's not switched.

Larry
I understand that,sir. I used my meter to confirm and to check for polarity when i installed my XT. I just don't remember if it was hot all the time or switched as it was a few yrs ago.

The original version (2008-2009) came with 10amp switched wires front and rear. The 2010 update lowered the current rating to 5amp.

The original version (2008-2009) came with 10amp switched wires front and rear. The 2010 update lowered the current rating to 5amp.
This is great news Cap ‘n Bob as I just need to locate the front accessory leads for my heated grips. Since it is the only accessory I am adding for now, I won’t need to add the complexity of a fuse box and relay.😀

This is great news Cap ‘n Bob as I just need to locate the front accessory leads for my heated grips. Since it is the only accessory I am adding for now, I won’t need to add the complexity of a fuse box and relay.😀
They should be under the left hand fairing cover. They will be located inside the black boot.

Chris.

If the GPS has power with the key off - it's not switched.

Larry
this is good timing for me,I hope.I am installing an older garmin to my c14 using the leads of topic.My question is with thw garmin power converter.It is fused closer to the leads and the fuse is missing and I cant find the fuse info.I think its a 2a but not sure