• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

WOTL: tire reco for '91 Connie

John_Atkinson

hi all,

hoping to find some recommendations for new skins for my '91 ZG. I am looking for something that will give me good wet and dry grip but also good (i.e. REALLY GOOD) mileage.

Used to run Dunlop D205s for years but they disappeared... :mad:

I see that Avon has the new Spirit ST, which are alleged to be very good in terms of both wet and dry grip but also apparently good for mileage too.

Anyone have any experience with the Avons, or have any alternative recommendations?

thanks very much in advance,
JA

Ooooh, a tire thread.

I've been out of the C-10 game for a couple years now, but here goes.

I ran between 10 and twelve Shinko777 bias tires on the rear. Hooked up nice in the dry, never pushed really hard on the wet as I doubt that any 16" rear will perform like the modern tires. They lasted 10 to almost 13k miles, mostly around 11-12.

I ran several PR3 up front in the 110/80 size/ They are confidence inspiring but consistently cupped about 2/3rds of the way to a perceived end. Had to replace all before they wore out, though not too far early. I did run one Angel GT up front but it was noticeably noisy but performed very well.

I cornered the old pig c-10 quite hard, dragging the occasional foot peg.

The only tire that scared me was a Michelin Commander II rear. It broke loose waaaaayyy too easily on wet roads when leaned over. Scary. I pulled it after about 2k miles. I used that bike for commuting in FLA, standard procedure was riding home in an afternoon thunderstorm in the summer.

For the price and performance now, I would go with either a reformulated Dunlop RSII, an RSIII, or a Bridgestone T31 Evo, assuming that they are available in the 110/80/18 size along with the Shinko777 in the rear.

I ran a set of RSIII on my Versys and really liked them, all the way to the end. I haven't run a T31 up front yet but the first rear performed quite well. The T31 front will be mounted up next week for an upcoming trip, so no report yet, but I've heard good.

Jim Snyder and others highly recommend the Avon AM-26’s.
Their a belted/Bias ply tire, but they say that the 26's handle well and give you great mileage....

Ride safe, Ted

Ted is correct, I highly recommend the AM-26's. They are available in stock C-10 sizes and are a great handling tire. I ran several sets before I did the 17" conversion on my Connie. I am currently running the Avon Spirit ST's on my FJR and have had good luck with them as well.

am 26s here, run them on a few bikes and the connie per jims suggestion. nice and sticky, so far very good life.  :great: :motonoises:

Just to add to the confusion: <evil grin>

Many have changed from a 120/70ZR-18 to a 110/80ZR-18 on the front to quicken turn-in.
The 110/80 is a rounder profile tire....

I basically did that same change to "both" ends of my bike...
  {I installed a 110/80ZR-18 Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact on the  front, and squeezed a "180/60"ZR-16 Shinko Journey on the rear.
    Stock rear is a "150/80"..    Now, both tires have a similar round profile...

I did this because I wanted radials, and to make the turn in quicker.
    OOps  :-\,,, {I mean} "Wow" my turn-in is quicker. {as in; OMG Quicker!}  :-\
Not a whole lot of fun on the straights, but in the twisties, it sure is fun! 

Ride safe, Ted

thanks to you all for the good feedback.

Just curious for those who have run the AM26....what was your experience as far as mileage?

JA

connie_rider said:
Just to add to the confusion: <evil grin>

Many have changed from a 120/70ZR-18 to a 110/80ZR-18 on the front to quicken turn-in.
The 110/80 is a rounder profile tire....

I basically did that same change to "both" ends of my bike...
  {I installed a 110/80ZR-18 Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact on the  front, and squeezed a "180/60"ZR-16 Shinko Journey on the rear.
    Stock rear is a "160/80"..    Now, both tires have a similar round profile...

I did this because I wanted radials, and to make the turn in quicker.
    OOps  :-\,,, {I mean} "Wow" my turn-in is quicker. {as in; OMG Quicker!}  :-\
Not a whole lot of fun on the straights, but in the twisties, it sure is fun! 

Ride safe, Ted
I think you had a brain fart Ted.  Stock is 150/80/16.  There.......fixed that for ya. :)  Carry on. :)

John_Atkinson said:
thanks to you all for the good feedback.

Just curious for those who have run the AM26....what was your experience as far as mileage?

JA
On one of the recent threads here the poster just posted that he got 10,000 miles on his on a trip to Alaska. I normally only got 5,000 mi but my riding style is quite aggressive.

It was Rastus, and he says he had 14,000mi and there was still thousands left, they must grind up granite and mix it in that compound, or he forgot that that tire got replaced in Fairbanks or something.