• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Would you come ride if it was not so GD hot?

rufusoregon

So 5 brave souls made the ride up to Bickleton from the Tri Cities in WA state last Saturday. Left early so not bad, but was too damn hot coming home. Had a great visit to the "museum" and with Mrs. Whitmore who is a piece of living history.
Question is: Would more of you in the NW be interested in repeating this ride if we did it in September or early October when the weather is cooler?
Looking forward to replies.

Hey Rufus, this ride was very local to me, but when the forecast high temp reached 108F, I messaged you of my no show. Did you have brunch in Bickleton's Blue Bird cafe?

Cecil

Last edited:
Rides in cooler weather is nice. I had posted to see if anyone one was interested in riding to Wildhorse and going from there. I only got one thumbs up. I just removed that post. October is perfect riding weather! I guess Bryan and I will take a few trips in this area in the fall. If you would like, join us on an outing in our corner of Oregon. we can set up a meet and eat!!

Rufus,

The heat definitely plays a role in my rides in general, the Connie doesn't have a lot of airflow compared to my other (more naked) bikes, which is fantastic in cooler weather. But above about 90*, I'd better be moving along at a pretty good clip... Traffic is pretty miserable! But I run warm and would much rather ride in 45* weather than 95* weather.

For me personally, you are about 4 hours away. Getting started nice and early means I'd need to get out there the night before. Unfortunately, that's hard to do as I work a lot and I'm also a cheapskate (meaning I hate paying for hotel rooms!) I'd certainly like to check out your neck of the woods more but for me it'd have to be a ride out Friday after work sort of thing, camp nearby, ride/explore on Saturday, then head home Sunday.

I hope that when work calms down a bit I can take more Fridays off, but the way things are going, that won't happen until next year.

One hurdle for me is it's beyond a regular day ride for me no matter what the temperature is. It's 3-1/2 hours from my place to the Go Bowl in Pasco, but it's only 2-1/4 hours from my house to Miner's Drive-In in Yakima. ;)

I agree with Charlie and fastenova, it's both distance and the temps on a C14 that determine some of the day rides. It's a great feature of the heat that the C14 generates during fall/winter so we can ride all year round but in the middle of of summer heat waves it's not as fun. Would definitely be more open to fall season rides like in October!

Earlier in the year is also an option. Temps would not be as much of an issue. For those of us on the left side of the Cascades, it's just a function of timing. Will the passes be open early enough in the year to avoid the temps in the right side of the Cascades?

Distance starts getting involved too. Just looked at the map and it is 3-4 hours to get to Bickleton. It's almost a weekend trip, depending on how long you ride once you get there.

Chris

So sorry to be so late getting back to this post. Cecil, we just came home. Too hot to stop for lunch.
I will explore putting something on the calendar for Spring in the Goldendale/Bickleton area. I agree with the distance issue. Same for me to come to west side day rides.

With a bit of thought, the distance can be very manageable. For those of us living outside the area, we make it a three-day event. Pick a great route to the ride for the first day. Do the ride with everyone the next day. And take a scenic route home on the third day.

And for those closer, they just manage the travel for what they feel comfortable with.

Chris