• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

WTB: Left side antler

leigongshan3579

Last Friday a minor bump from behind knocked my left sidecase to the ground due to the antler having snapped. I know there's a welding option, but if someone has a left antler ready to use please let me know.

If welding ends up the better option, do you think a muffler shop could weld cast aluminum or would I have to go to a metal fabricator?

I have a left antler, which has been welded and painted. I have used a right side welded antler on my 2000 C10 for years.

Did you weld the antlers yourself or just happen to come across repaired ones? I ask because I took my pieces to a metal fabricator down the street and when he saw what I had he practically ran away. Muttered something about sand cast aluminum and said I'd be better off buying a new unit. I thought this would be a 10 minute welding job including setup costing $25.

Any experience with something called Hy-Poxy H-450 Alumbond? It's $25 on Amazon and apparently it's a lot better than J-B Weld.

I took them to a local welder and they charged $15.

Adhesive is not going to work as this supports the bags and contents.

Many here have done the same - try a different welder. Some have a reinforcement piece welded in along the back side.

None of the ones I've ever had done had that - just a weld to bring the 2 pieces back together.