• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

XM Radio that will work with my Sena headset

ursharkfuel

God got one thing wrong: Stupid should be PAINFUL!
My daily commute a hair under 100 miles daily. That one hour trip each way is across a desert and then up a mountain, then back down and across the desert to go home. Only about half of the trip is good enough to use my phone to stream XM Radio, or anything else for the matter. And did I mention, there is no terrestrial radio in the area either?

I have XM Radio in my car and it is great. But now that I am riding my C 14 daily I am getting tired of audiobooks and mp3s, I really need a solid source for XM Radio which is my only real choice for live radio in this area.

Any ideas?

Enjoy the ride,
Jon

I've looked into this, as I too have wanted a dedicated XM antenna on the bike.

However, if memory serves: NONE of the XM units are waterproof, and none of them are glove friendly.

The other downside, is that they take up a good bit of real estate in your cockpit/bars, and require a dedicated subscription.
That means no piggy-backing on whatever subscription you already have like the streaming app allows.

I can see you NEED something to listen to, so all of those factors may still not dissuade you.  But when i weighed all the factors, it wasn't worth it to me.
Basically I stream Pandora through my phone/garmin, and I can control that through my 595 unit.  When I run out of Cell Phone coverage, I have a 32gb SDcard full of MP3's to which I can switch over.  Not perfect, but it's what I have.

I wish Garmin would have included a Built in XM antenna.  :-[

gr

I use a Garmin 660lm & cardo scala g9 headset. With the 660lm I get XM with Weather/Traffic. I have my phone paired to the 660lm & it paired to the  cardo scala g9 headset. It has been a perfect set up for me.  :beerchug:

ghostrider990 said:
However, if memory serves: NONE of the XM units are waterproof, and none of them are glove friendly.

gr

Maybe that's why the HD is costly.

ghostrider990 said:

The other downside, is that they take up a good bit of real estate in your cockpit/bars, and require a dedicated subscription.
That means no piggy-backing on whatever subscription you already have like the streaming app allows.

I can see you NEED something to listen to, so all of those factors may still not dissuade you.  But when i weighed all the factors, it wasn't worth it to me.
Basically I stream Pandora through my phone/garmin, and I can control that through my 595 unit.  When I run out of Cell Phone coverage, I have a 32gb SDcard full of MP3's to which I can switch over.  Not perfect, but it's what I have.

gr

Look at the link I posted, their kit includes a water resistant case. You cannot stream without cell service.

Phil said:
ghostrider990 said:

gr

Look at the link I posted, their kit includes a water resistant case. You cannot stream without cell service.

I hear ya Phil.
But in my book, that's not Waterproof OR glove friendly.

My garmin is BOTH.  Not that I love that thing -- but I don't have to cover it or hide it from the elements when the weather turns.

Radar Detectors are another good example of limited Waterproof Options.

And I think the OP asked about an XM Unit being able to sync to his SENA, and it appears they do have b/t, so shouldn't be a problem there.

THis remains to be one of those big holes in the Motorcycling universe that no vendor seems to service seamlessly.  :mad:

gr

ghostrider990 said:
Phil said:
ghostrider990 said:

gr

I hear ya Phil.
But in my book, that's not Waterproof OR glove friendly.

My garmin is BOTH.  Not that I love that thing -- but I don't have to cover it or hide it from the elements when the weather turns.

Radar Detectors are another good example of limited Waterproof Options.

And I think the OP asked about an XM Unit being able to sync to his SENA, and it appears they do have b/t, so shouldn't be a problem there.

THis remains to be one of those big holes in the Motorcycling universe that no vendor seems to service seamlessly.  :mad:

gr

Yeah, no Sirius XM unit is particularly glove friendly, since they use small buttons. You could possibly use the remote  that comes with it.

I use my phone in the tank bag. Sirius XM would be nice at times though, and I already have a unit in the car, which can be moved to another dock. I have streamed it from the phone before, but a dock in the tank bag would work for me. I may do that sometime. Hmm...

I have been streaming XM on my phone which works great until I leave the cell coverage areas - which is pretty frequent when on the mountain road.

Others have said that the bluetooth on the XM units is for telephone integration and not good for headsets.

I'm very up to date when it comes to MP3s, audiobooks and such. My phone has a 256 gig card installed that is loaded, but live radio is my real challenge and in my car XM has proven to be the most reliable in this area. FM and AM are a joke in a rural area like this.

Enjoy the ride,
Jon

I miss having SiriusXM in my car so I know the feelings. Last time I checked a few years ago Garmin had a GPS integrated with SiriusXM which worked well with BT headsets like Sena, Cardo, etc, discontinued now unless you find one used.  But if you don't need that integration and just a separate SiriusXM  radio, best I can find was this...
https://www.xm-radio-satellite.com/siriusxm-satellite-radio-motorcycle-compact-installation-kit/

If someone does try this, let us know how it works out.