• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

XM Radio

You can install almost anything you want. How is a different story. This website, along with others, have kits for motorcycles. I am not sure how great they would be, but they do have a waterproof case. https://myradiostore.com/motorcycle-bike/

Another option, especially if you already have an XM to SiriusXM account, is to get the plan that allows you to use the app for your phone and stream it from there.

Yes although not sure if this is available anymore, so you might find a used Garmin which you can pair with your BT headset.
Garmin Zumo 665LM  https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/120318

Angus said:
can i install a xm radio in connie and listen to ir through my bluetooth head set.

I have used XM almost since it came out.  My old Roady has a audio out jack.  I can run that direct or to a Bluetooth dongle.  It also has the FM transmitter in it.  I have a Sena with radio and that FM connection is okay most of the time.  Main issue is in cities when you should have it off anyway.  Not sure if they have new units now with blue teefas or not. 

I still like XM because it plays all day, anywhere I am and I don't know what they are going to play next... like real radio.  Main issue is if you are in heavy trees a lot it will loose connection.  Not an issue in Texas very often.  Newer units may receive better too.  If I am in heavy cover I just switch to the 800+ song on my phone.

PS:  You can also stream XM on your phone and listen that way but data rates and tower coverage may apply.

Still baffles me why Garmin removed the Xm antennae from their devices.  :truce:

Streaming XM from the phone is ok, but you can't change channels easily or see the channel info unless you leave your phone ON all the time.

Sometimes, I REALLY hate my Garmin.....wish someone would come out with a Google Maps device that was GLOVE friendly that had all of the functionality of the Garmin.  ::)

If anybody finds one please post it up!

gr

Angus said:
I have a Garmin Zumo 550 it will play xm but won't let it play through my bluetooth headset.

I thought the 550 had bluetooth for that purpose. Huh, I just looked through some reviews and see it only plays through the wired connection.  You could attach the output to a bluetooth transmitter.

There is another solution which I use and really like. If you purchase both a Garmin with xm capabilities(I guess that is no longer available -  I have a Zumo 665LM) and a J&M 2003 CB with intercom, you can also have a wiring harness to allow you to connect the Garmin to the J&M resulting in XM radio through your headsets. Works great. I just turn the Garmin gps info to zero level so it doesn't squelch the radio for directions(the vocal directions are just a nuisance anyway) and you are great. Now if the display on the Garmin could be seen in bright daylight all would be good but I haven't figured that out and may never. Don't know what I will do if the Garmin bites the dust.
Fork

This is great!! I have had XM in my truck for years, but I had no idea that allowed me to stream to my phone :-[  Learn something new everyday. :)

I've tried the XM online streaming to my phone option......

It works, for a while, until you get a commercial that hangs up due to cellular connection - OR you feel the desire to change the channel.

Then you're back to needing to touchscreen interact with your phone -- with a gloved finger.  ::)
=FAIL.

There's also a workaround for buying and mounting a smaller XM receiver on the bike (non-waterproof), and physically connecting that into a bluetooth dongle, to interface with your Headset.  It's been proven to work, but it's alot of devices and extra wiring for something that should already be built into the GD GArmin!!  :-[

I don't get it.  This seems to be such an elementary upgrade to the already way too expensive Garmins that we buy.  gotta be a licensing thing.

gr

robertv said:
Yes although not sure if this is available anymore, so you might find a used Garmin which you can pair with your BT headset.

Angus said:
can i install a xm radio in connie and listen to ir through my bluetooth head set.

I use a Bose QC20 noise canceling earbud that can be plugged into the harness that comes with my garmin 665. Great sound and the noise cancelling function works good. XM is great as is whatever you choose to put on the memory card. The 665 is hard to find but grab it if you find it.

robertv said:

I’ve been using a 665 on my C14 for 5+ years. Came across a refurbished one. What may not be widely known is that there is a provision to use earbuds with a 3.5mm receptacle in the garmin wiring harnesses. I use Bose QC20 noise cancelling earbuds.....great noise reduction and very good sound. Worth looking into.

Angus said: