• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Yamaha Tracer 900 GT

wayne-o

Decades ago I ran out of gas but the gas gauge showed 1/2 full.I hopped a cab home and the next day bought a non current new bike. Great deal. Days later we go pick up gasless motorcycle.  In back of van my buddy said Your outta gas I responded Its got half a tank. He tapped on the tank which echoed through the van. Happiest mistake ever. I have always had 2 or 3 bikes since.
    I own a 2014 Yamaha FZ09 and a 2015 Connie I felt this covered the 2 ends of the moto spectrum . I was happy. Then I rented a Tracer 900 GT. This bike does the duty of both my bikes or better. More comfy and lighter than my Connie. Same great engine as my FZ09. If I were to buy this motorcycle I couldn't justify 2 bikes. Maybe a Triumph Rocket 3 .
  Then I got an email from dealer that sold me the Yammie . New TracerGT for $7200. This is a Honda boring good motorcycle. You get on it and you don't even think about the bike for 15 minutes. As opposed to Oh my shoulder is starting to ache.  Or this seat is biting my boxers.
I am going to pass on a great deal on a great bike. I'd rather have 2 different bikes than one. 2 insurance payments,license plate and city sticker. Everyone  should have my problems.

wayne-o said:
Decades ago I ran out of gas but the gas gauge showed 1/2 full.I hopped a cab home and the next day bought a non current new bike. Great deal. Days later we go pick up gasless motorcycle.  In back of van my buddy said Your outta gas I responded Its got half a tank. He tapped on the tank which echoed through the van. Happiest mistake ever. I have always had 2 or 3 bikes since.
    I own a 2014 Yamaha FZ09 and a 2015 Connie I felt this covered the 2 ends of the moto spectrum . I was happy. Then I rented a Tracer 900 GT. This bike does the duty of both my bikes or better. More comfy and lighter than my Connie. Same great engine as my FZ09. If I were to buy this motorcycle I couldn't justify 2 bikes. Maybe a Triumph Rocket 3 .
  Then I got an email from dealer that sold me the Yammie . New TracerGT for $7200. This is a Honda boring good motorcycle. You get on it and you don't even think about the bike for 15 minutes. As opposed to Oh my shoulder is starting to ache.  Or this seat is biting my boxers.
I am going to pass on a great deal on a great bike. I'd rather have 2 different bikes than one. 2 insurance payments,license plate and city sticker. Everyone  should have my problems.
What dealer?

Thanks.

Edit to add: I just scoped it out on line. This is for a non GT 900 Tracer. Still, not a bad price.

wayne-o said:
. . . I have always had 2 or 3 bikes since. . .
Two bikes always seems optimal to me. At various times, I've had a 2000 Suzuki SV650S or a 1989 Kawasaki Ninja 250, in addition to the Concours C10. I could choose the bike based on the planned ride.

At the moment, the riding stable has been reduced to one steed, a 2003 Suzuki SV650S, which is pretty good for zipping around, but doesn't have the weather protection or luggage capacity for touring. The limitation is condo parking space.

Looks to me that it has basically no wind or rain protection, no provision for a top box (could be mistaken), seat looks a bit small for long trips. It also has a chain - again not the best for long trips. Looks like it would be a great weekender though. Comments?

Chain not the best for long trips?  I beg to differ. The only advantage a shaft drive has over a chain drive is the shaft may require less maintenance. A chain is tremendously lighter and more efficient. Modern chains ( O-ring, X-ring, etc) require minimal maintenance.

I had to go and look at that, it looks like a great bike... My first bike was a Yammy, and I always think about them, even tho I went "Green".. :-X :truce:
seem to be the exact same "bike" as the wonky looking 2 front wheel atrocity... I bet it performs tons better than that one for sure...  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :motonoises: :great: :great: :great:

The Tracer saddlebags are smaller and do not fit a full face helmet.  The rack is user friendly compared to the Concours14. Smaller bags make lane splitting noticeably easier.  Really a nice bike.

wonky looking 2 front wheel atrocity

LOL! I took one of those "atrocities" for a ride last fall. It wasn't too bad actually. You don't even notice the two front wheels while riding. It just felt like a normal bike to me. (wouldn't buy one though)

I JUST read this review of the Tracer 900 GT in Psycho World about an HOUR ago.  They seem to like it.

https://www.cycleworld.com/yamaha-tracer-900-gt-is-best-evolution-sport-tourer/

Two bikes is a good thing.  When I get tired of swinging Connie's fat ass all over the place, I get on the Wee-Strom and fling it around like a Schwinn, and think, "Yeah, this is great."  When I get tired of the Wee hammering and jolting along the highway at 70 MPH, I get back on the Connie, click her into "7th gear", and hum along and think, "Man...whata smooothie!"  Repeat as necessary. :motonoises:

You CAN serve two mistresses.

I'm 5'9" and put risers on my Connie and have Woodcraft clip one's on my FZ09 but the Tracer is comfy as is. That write up mentioned the " rear section of the seat as your go to spot on long rides".  I stay close to the tank usually but this bike allows me to put my butt far back with a ok lean. The bike is not tiring but this allows you comfortably move all over the seat.
  Weather protection was not an issue in Arizona and I kept the screen at it's lowest position.

wayne-o said:
3 bikes require I move 1 to get the rear bike out. 2 bikes is pretty much the limit

Any more than two bikes, my bride of 44 years would cut something off my body I still need.

wayne-o said:
How many shoes does she have?

This evening I just HAD to count:  Including "gardening shoes", hiking boots, and cross-country ski boots........my fiance has 31 pairs.

wayne-o said:
3 bikes require I move 1 to get the rear bike out. 2 bikes is pretty much the limit
I am so tired of that shuffle. My wife refuses to sell our extra car, I contend that entire garage should be mine.  :)