• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Year End Tire Deals???

The tire manufacturers tend to have rebates March thru April.  I've done a little research on a set of Road Smart 3's for my C14, and 12 of 18 online vendors had the same price to the penny.  One place was $2 less on a set-still over $300 so the difference was hardly significant, and the rest were a bit/significantly more expensive.  The search took less than 30 minutes.  Unless you need tires now, I'd suggest just wait for March 1st.

Charliedog said:
The tire manufacturers tend to have rebates March thru April.  I've done a little research on a set of Road Smart 3's for my C14, and 12 of 18 online vendors had the same price to the penny.  One place was $2 less on a set-still over $300 so the difference was hardly significant, and the rest were a bit/significantly more expensive.  The search took less than 30 minutes.  Unless you need tires now, I'd suggest just wait for March 1st.

that's great info.

I'm a loyalist to the PirelliAngel GT's, so I'm not really "shopping".

Looks like Ill be stretching this set a bit further!  :great:

gr

I've gotten good deals on the last two sets of Pirelli Angel GTs by using the manufacturer's rebates they offer.  I try to plan ahead and have the next set ready to go well before they are needed.  You know how fast they go at the end.

Pilgrim said:
I've gotten good deals on the last two sets of Pirelli Angel GTs by using the manufacturer's rebates they offer.  I try to plan ahead and have the next set ready to go well before they are needed.  You know how fast they go at the end.

Me too on the Pirelli Angel GTs ( +1 ). Let me know if you hear of any current rebates and I'll do the same. Thx.

Count me in.  I have resigned myself to spending more for what I consider the most important part of the bike beside the Helmet, Engine, paint, sound, farkles, etc, etc...
After everything else what is a few bucks more...now if Michelin would only deliver the Road 5 GTs...

Gilbysan

I'm not afraid to spend, but I've tried previous iterations of the PR- to not wear very evenly, and not give the same aggressive turn-in as the Angels.

Not trying to start a tire debate here..... ::)

With that said -- it's been a few years since Pirelli offered-up a newer version/revision of the Angel GT.  Either Michelin is still hunting for the magic formula, or Pirelli has found it and sticking with it.

As I'm going to upgrade my suspension this winter, i might be willing to try the Michelins again when the PR5 arrives in "Spec A" guise.
I buy Michelins for my cars almost exclusively - but Pirellis on my Bikes.  Weird.

gr

Charliedog said:

Thanks for the info on the rebates.  There's only like 2 distributors left out there with all the corporate buyouts, so there's basically no difference in tire prices.

CaffeineMan said:
Charliedog said:

Thanks for the info on the rebates.  There's only like 2 distributors left out there with all the corporate buyouts, so there's basically no difference in tire prices.

Are you referring to distributors??

I'm not aware of any tire Manufacturers merging recently.

Curious.

gr

Yes distributors.  For a given make/model there seems to be very little difference in price at any given time.

Cycle Gear has at least one, in store only though, fr/rr tire packages through end of January.
One deal I saw was for Continentals, but I have not looked any further.

I have a new set of Avon Spirits here/ready to put on my bike.
Will be watching to see if the PR-5's work out.

Ride safe, Ted