• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Yet another 17" wheel conversion complete!

konkours

Tricycle
Hi All, greetings from No. Va (just outside DC).  I recently purchased a well maintained 2001 C10 with 21K miles and joined COG-online where I've been learning alot about the bike, including hydrolocked engines (yikes).

But since the new-to-me bike was in desperate need of new tires, and I really wanted to mount sport-touring radials, I went all in with the 17" wheel conversion. And although it entire process took longer than I hoped/planned for (most of the time was spent waiting on parts and finding a decent machine shop who could do the job and didn't have a 6-8 week backlog), I just followed the COG tech pages and everything went smooth.

As you can see in the pics, I went with Mean Streak rear wheel (hub machined down .300") and a Nomad front rotor in order to retain the stock C10 brake caliper setup. Then swapped in a ZR7S front wheel (p/n 41073-1678-DH) and axle spacer (p/n 92152-1160). I mounted and balanced new Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT tires (170/60-17 rear, 120/70-17 front) to replace the stock Dunlops (so bad).

I took a short test ride today before the rain came and I couldn't be happier with how this turned out. I took it easy on the initial ride to make sure everything was going to stay together and to scruff up the tires, but I can already say the bike handles much better with very predictable turn-in, and rides so much smoother over the stock set-up.  I can't wait to get back out again for a long ride tomorrow.  Cheers!!

Attachments

• rear wheel.jpg
    rear wheel.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 215
  • front wheel.jpg
    front wheel.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 203
  • 17 wheels installed.jpg
    17 wheels installed.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 233
Nice job.
I really like the PR4GTs. They are also excellent if you get caught in the rain. I slabbed in the rain up NY state thruway to Lake George above the speed limit without a hint of losing traction.

Dont stop there, if you have'nt already do some springs and emulator valves on your forks, it will double your pleasure.

Wow! Looks good. My favorite factory color. It is amazing how the 17 inch wheels make such a big difference in handling and smoothness. Best $350 I ever spent on my bike.  Enjoy!

Thanks for the feedback and compliments, everyone. I need to tackle the bevel drive gasket leak next (ugh), but I'm thinking about suspension upgrades after that.  Cheers and enjoy the summer riding!!

KK,
i did the same wheel conversion on mine.  very nice.  i also got the wheels powder coated silver so they match.  next i would suggest sending the forks off to race-tech and have them put in their 1.0kg/mm CrSi springs and GVEs.  then give works performance a call and get one of there ultra shocks.  my C10 handles SO much better than stock.  after that perhaps a brake upgrade?  braided SS lines, EBC HH pads, maybe even their scalloped SS lightweight rotors?  just trying to help you spend your $  :motonoises:  what i have found is there is, almost, no limit to upgrades.  then there's all the SISF upgrades.  or a zrex motor?  or ....

anyway, thank goodness for COG visionaries who have gone before and pioneered the wheel swap.  personally i like Dunlop Roadsmart IIIs but the PR4s are great too.  i went with the 160/70 rear to get a wee bit taller for little lower rpm at cruise.  and it's got a higher weight rating than the 170/60 did, and i tend to take too much crap with me on trips.  so the extra weight rating gave me some peace of mind. 
anyway, welcome to COG.  send your carbs to SISF for at least the overflow tubes if nothing else.  and pick up a used fuse box on fleabay and send it to Larry Buck and get it reworked to reduce that potential headache.

oh well.  welcome aboard.  have fun. 
-tdbru

tdbru said:
KK,
i did the same wheel conversion on mine.  very nice.  i also got the wheels powder coated silver so they match.  next i would suggest sending the forks off to race-tech and have them put in their 1.0kg/mm CrSi springs and GVEs.  then give works performance a call and get one of there ultra shocks.  my C10 handles SO much better than stock.  after that perhaps a brake upgrade?  braided SS lines, EBC HH pads, maybe even their scalloped SS lightweight rotors?  just trying to help you spend your $  :motonoises:  what i have found is there is, almost, no limit to upgrades.  then there's all the SISF upgrades.  or a zrex motor?  or ....

anyway, thank goodness for COG visionaries who have gone before and pioneered the wheel swap.  personally i like Dunlop Roadsmart IIIs but the PR4s are great too.  i went with the 160/70 rear to get a wee bit taller for little lower rpm at cruise.  and it's got a higher weight rating than the 170/60 did, and i tend to take too much crap with me on trips.  so the extra weight rating gave me some peace of mind. 
anyway, welcome to COG.  send your carbs to SISF for at least the overflow tubes if nothing else.  and pick up a used fuse box on fleabay and send it to Larry Buck and get it reworked to reduce that potential headache.

oh well.  welcome aboard.  have fun. 
-tdbru
Where in the NW area did you get your rear wheel machined? I have the wheels and all of the parts, just need to get the wheel machined so I can install it.