• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

You can say it went down.....

kevinrli

Street Cruiser
Many of you probably already saw this on FB. I just got around to getting it on YouTube so I can share it with the rest of you. Learn from my mistakes. No the mistake wasn't riding in the cold weather. It was not being cautious enough in the cold weather. The road was DRY but it was cold. Around 25F. I ride in cold weather often. I did not expect and I have never experienced a white line that slippery that wasn't wet. Also a bit curious as to why KTRAC didn't kick in. I wasn't going that fast. 50 on the ramp, 55 in lane 1 and accelerated to 60 when changing to lane 2. How I didn't break something or get hurt worse than a 2" diameter circle of road rash on each knee is beyond me. My jeans didn't have any holes in the knees either. Figure that one out! That was the only thing I didn't have protected. I was wearing Levis with a pair of under-armor thermals under them. Never again will I not wear ATGATT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Wvb2q1zQc

The bike went down and stayed down on the right side. It slid past me and ended up against the center median. Grand total of $7000 in damage that Progressive was really good with. I had the bike back from the dealer in 13 days! My Canyon cages and trunk saved it from worse damage. The canyon cage you can see in the pic is worn half way through.

My Sedici jacket ROCKED!! That thing took all the damage and my upper body didn't have a scratch. I emailed Sedici to thank them for saving my skin. They sent me a brand new jacket!!!

My Bilt gloves did protect my hands but I'm glad I didn't slide any further as they were worn all the way through in a few places.

Attachments

• IMG_3323b.jpg
    IMG_3323b.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_1019[1]b.jpg
    IMG_1019[1]b.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_1018[1]a.jpg
    IMG_1018[1]a.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0036a.jpg
    IMG_0036a.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 165
Kevin,
Glad you're ok. Keep the sliding to snow covered hills next time on a S L E D. Motorcycles work better rubber side down!
Matt

mattchewn said:
Kevin,
Glad you're ok. Keep the sliding to snow covered hills next time on a S L E D. Motorcycles work better rubber side down!
Matt

Thanks man. It was probably that damn flash! Giving me too much power!! Ha.. Just happy I can joke about it and learn from it.

Glad you're OK! I don't get it either about road rash when the material is still intact. I slid an old GL1000 once. Heavy canvas pants looked a little beat up but was missing 8 square inches of skin underneath. Not to be a wise a** but bike was just getting broke in for you. Hope your insurance makes you whole again.

Diz said:
Glad you're OK! I don't get it either about road rash when the material is still intact. I slid an old GL1000 once. Heavy canvas pants looked a little beat up but was missing 8 square inches of skin underneath. Not to be a wise a** but bike was just getting broke in for you. Hope your insurance makes you whole again.

Believe it or not I had 8000 miles on it already. I got the bike back from the dealer in 13 days good as new. Progressive insurance did right by me and I had no issues what so ever. My knees are almost healed. Up and riding again since I got the bike back last week :)

KevinRLI said:
Many of you probably already saw this on FB. I just got around to getting it on YouTube so I can share it with the rest of you. Learn from my mistakes. No the mistake wasn't riding in the cold weather. It was not being cautious enough in the cold weather. The road was DRY but it was cold. Around 25F. I ride in cold weather often. I did not expect and I have never experienced a white line that slippery that wasn't wet. Also a bit curious as to why KTRAC didn't kick in. I wasn't going that fast. 50 on the ramp, 55 in lane 1 and accelerated to 60 when changing to lane 2. How I didn't break something or get hurt worse than a 2" diameter circle of road rash on each knee is beyond me. My jeans didn't have any holes in the knees either. Figure that one out! That was the only thing I didn't have protected. I was wearing Levis with a pair of under-armor thermals under them. Never again will I not wear ATGATT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Wvb2q1zQc

The bike went down and stayed down on the right side. It slid past me and ended up against the center median. Grand total of $7000 in damage that Progressive was really good with. I had the bike back from the dealer in 13 days! My Canyon cages and trunk saved it from worse damage. The canyon cage you can see in the pic is worn half way through.

My Sedici jacket ROCKED!! That thing took all the damage and my upper body didn't have a scratch. I emailed Sedici t=o thank them for saving my skin. They sent me a brand new jacket!!!

My Bilt gloves did protect my hands but I'm glad I didn't slid any further as they were worn all the way through in a few places.
I watched the video & while listening to the audio the bike rev ed for a slit second when slipping on the white line. KTRAC was probably about to kick in but it was to late. KTRAC uses speed sensors & when it detects a difference in speed between the front & rear tires that's when it kicks in, There is a split second delay & at the speed you were traveling & while under fairly heavy acceleration there was not enough time for a traction control system to make a difference.   

Hi,
        Glad you are ok!!! :great:

That's a big girl to lay down period.... :eek:

Much less on an Interstate! :(

Those knees might of done better with some Motoport? :-X

They have built in soft armour! :great:

Just sayin! ;D

Attachments

• tumblr_okaka3gDph1uso7tbo1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_okaka3gDph1uso7tbo1_1280.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 134
As no meat is ground off,,, I suspect your Knee's are friction burns, not road rash cuts..  :great:

Geez your lucky that everyone one behind you,,, was able to stop.  :-\
Glad your ok!

Ride safe, Ted

Wow, glad your ok with minor injury and that Progressive made You and Connie whole again...and in only 13 days, NICE! I'm not a fan of riding in freezing weather, I'm certain your accident would not have happened if it was 20deg warmer- in the 40's, it's just not worth the risk IMO. Your experience is a definite reminder of ATGATT, and I been plenty guilty of not always wearing the protective pants too- pretty good with everything else tho.

Keep Ridin' Kev

:beerchug:

NYbiomed said:
Wow, glad your ok with minor injury and that Progressive made You and Connie whole again...and in only 13 days, NICE! I'm not a fan of riding in freezing weather, I'm certain your accident would not have happened if it was 20deg warmer- in the 40's, it's just not worth the risk IMO. Your experience is a definite reminder of ATGATT, and I been plenty guilty of not always wearing the protective pants too- pretty good with everything else tho.

Keep Ridin' Kev

:beerchug:

I hear ya.. I know riding in colder temps is additional risk. I rode into Manhattan Sunday to take care of something at a side job. Additional risk. If you don't want to risk bodily injury don't ride at all. I continue to ride in the colder temps since getting the bike back. A little wiser I hope and a little more cautious. You know some idiots on the planet jump out of perfectly good airplanes!!  :)  I hope sharing my mistake will help the other cold weather riders be more cautious.

Wow Kevin. Every time I hear from you lately something bad is happening. Last time the radiator. This time worse.  But thankfully you walked away pretty much unscathed. As others have already said, I always try to avoid riding in freezing weather if at all possible. Painted lines are less porous and moisture tends to stay on it. It's bad enough in the wet, but as you see down right deadly in freezing weather. Just a slight coating frosting and it's worse than oil. Where as the black top allows it moisture to sink in or dissipate either through absorption or evaporation that the warmer and more porous black surface allows better. It's kind of like the bridge freezing before the road scenario. Glad your OK, and happy the bike is back already. Your about ready for a new one anyone right.  ;D

Cap'n Bob said:
Wow Kevin. Every time I hear from you lately something bad is happening. Last time the radiator. This time worse.  But thankfully you walked away pretty much unscathed. As others have already said, I always try to avoid riding in freezing weather if at all possible. Painted lines are less porous and moisture tends to stay on it. It's bad enough in the wet, but as you see down right deadly in freezing weather. Just a slight coating frosting and it's worse than oil. Where as the black top allows it moisture to sink in or dissipate either through absorption or evaporation that the warmer and more porous black surface allows better. It's kind of like the bridge freezing before the road scenario. Glad your OK, and happy the bike is back already. Your about ready for a new one anyone right.  ;D

Speaking of the radiator... I came home from Maine and threw in one of the cheap... Err... Inexpensive Chinese replacements.. Well that's gone and an OEM is in now :)

KevinRLI said:
Speaking of the radiator... I came home from Maine and threw in one of the cheap... Err... Inexpensive Chinese replacements.. Well that's gone and an OEM is in now :)

Yeah I hear you. Maybe just move the horn might be less expensive.  :))

Wow Kevin. Glad you stood up after that super man slide. Amazing that the traffic checked up so well. We will all learn from this one, so thanks for sharing and great that you have your ride back.

Here's a pic of the jeans I had on. I also had under armor thermals under the jeans. No holes in the knees and no injuries where there are holes in the jeans. Weirdness....

Attachments

• IMG_0109a.jpg
    IMG_0109a.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 113
KevinRLI said:
Here's a pic of the jeans I had on. I also had under armor thermals under the jeans. No holes in the knees and no injuries where there are holes in the jeans. Weirdness....

Hi,
        Hmmm....Here's the Motoport I use.

Admittedly also baffled by the knees part?

You must of hit, pretty darn hard, to do that!!! :(

I have enough brain cells left from the 70's, :-X

To know that even the best gear, won't protect you from everything, but... :truce:

I want the best help up to THAT point though! ;D

Attachments

• Motoport Ultra II Pants.jpg
    Motoport Ultra II Pants.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 120
seagiant1 said:
KevinRLI said:

Hi,
        Hmmm....Here's the Motoport I use.

Admittedly also baffled by the knees part?

You must of hit, pretty darn hard, to do that!!! :(

I have enough brain cells left from the 70's, :-X

To know that even the best gear, won't protect you from everything, but... :truce:

I want the best help up to THAT point though! ;D

Yeah hindsight being 20/20 I picked up a couple of pairs of these.

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bilt-iron-workers-steel-jeans

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bilt-iron-workers-chinos

The chino's are actually pretty nice also. I commute to work so I need something I can wear at work too. I also have two sets of knee padding coming. Never again will I wear just jeans. A little older and a little wiser :)

Those Bilt Iron worker pants look interesting. Can you give us a review after wearing them a bit? Wonder how they do in drizzle or light rain as well as wind. I also am curious if the woven kevlar washes as well as the rest of the material. Thanks

Diz said:
Those Bilt Iron worker pants look interesting. Can you give us a review after wearing them a bit? Wonder how they do in drizzle or light rain as well as wind. I also am curious if the woven kevlar washes as well as the rest of the material. Thanks

I can tell you this. The denim is much warmer than the chinos. Since I commute with these I also wear them all day at work. I do I.T. work sitting at a desk mostly and they're fine for that. I've only worn them twice since getting them but will report back on them as the season revs up.

Glad you didn't get banged up worse and both you and the bike are on the mend. Good info on the painted lines never felt them give way in the cage when cold but at least two tires are on the us painted area at all times. It's just like fishing for me though, if it's below freezing I ain't doing it. I'm guessing you didn't hit your noggin as you didn't report any helmet damage. I've looked at those pants at cycle gear in the past, I think I will try some on for size on my next trip there. I too ride in jeans or cargo pants a lot of the time.
Thanks for posting.

I'm glad you're alright . I have an appt with Motoport on Monday to get fitted for pants and a jacket.
way to many friends going down lately ,time to dress like the old man I am. :great:

Sadly, those white lines on the road just aren't a simple paint.

IT looks like that when the truck is driving down the road applying it but, the compound they're spraying is this quick drying, reflective based, slick as crap material.

I've almost dumped a bike or two because of those friggin lines. Hell, I almost face planted trying to cross the street when I stepped on the crosswalk line.

I think this is also a good tale of why it's good to have at least a helmet cam. Insurance companies love evidence and cameras don't lie.