• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Your ride event

danodemotoman

COG# 2877 WAAAD
I know looking at the rain coming down you wish you could be riding.
Time to host and post your event?  :72:

I've been thinking about how to get more folks involved with getting rides going, and I asked myself "what is it that tends to keep people from doing it?"  The best theory I can come up with is that people have never done it before, and because of that they think they won't be able to pull it off.  If I'm wrong, please let me know (by PM if you don't want to tell the world), but if I'm right maybe we can get a mentoring program going where folks with ideas can contact me or Dan or another person who can guide them through the process.  It's actually pretty easy.  So, what are you waiting for?

What Charlie says.  I've hosted 2 rides in the last few years.  The first was the Hood Canal Bike Wash a couple of years ago.  It was in early spring on the Olympic Peninsula.  I don't remember how many showed up, but we had a good turnout, excellent ride and nobody got their bike "washed".  ( in spring it rains in the PNW every weekend guaranteed)
The second was the Spring Equinox ride last year.  Again a good turnout and the though the weather was not quite as good as the year before was not bad at all.  Good times for all.
Post it and they will come.

Like many, I was unsure if I wanted to put on an event.
Was afraid of the hassle etc.
So,  I asked others in the club for guidance.
I was told to keep it simple; schedule a place, a date, a Motel,,,, and go for it.
I did as they said and it works!!!!

Since I joined the club,  I've put on the Big Bend Ride several times, Over the Pond 10 times,,, and helped Host the recent National in Arkansas.
I am NOT trying to say that I did good,,,,
I'm saying that,,, if a Dummy like me can do it (in South Texas),,,  anyone can do it!!

Believe me,,,, putting on a small event is "EZ" to do!
Best of all, this Forum makes it easy to spread the word....
What I have found out about putting on an event is; Set up an event, Spread the Word, and they will come..

Ride safe, Ted 

PS: Today I'm started a discussion about next years National.    (2013 National Rally, "Rafting Anyone")
          I'm trying to see if anyone is interested in Rafting the Snake River while we are in Idaho??
          If anyone is interested, please join in the discussion..

One very easy way to hold an event that is super easy...find a neat restaurant, preferably with another "draw" (something else to look at or do in the area) and then (here is the hard part..) TELL everyone that you will be at that restaurant at this date and at what time and let's join up for lunch.
  If you don't know of an interesting place, ask your friends, look for something on your rides and just post it.
Of course nothing fancy and $ prices helps. I've attended lunches  held at a BBQ joint beside a traintrack ( Ga vs Fla smackdown)  that is a good time that had NOTHING nearby but a nice ride to get there.
I held a Ride To Eat event 4 diff years at restaurants in a bitty town on the gulf.

If you hold it they will come

:06: