• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Your suspension setting?

ssiperko

Training Wheels
Curious to know you suspension settings with stock C14 components.

Weight with gear?
1 up and 2 up settings?
Type of riding generally done? % wise Mountains, flat and straight highway, around town high (80+) speed low (65-) speed?

Front:
Lines showing on front fork preload?
Clicks out from full soft on front dampening?

Rear:
Clicks in from full soft on rear preload?
1/2 turns in on rear dampening?

Do you link a plush or firm ride? Are you satisfied with your settings or do want more from your bike?

I'm trying to get mine dialed in for feel. I read the suspension sticky and for the real world I can't find my happy medium and would like to try some of your settings. This might be helpful for others too perhaps?

SS

I tried this today.

I weight 180 in gear.

Front;
6 lines showing on preload.
5 clicks counter clockwise from full rebound.

Rear;
14 clicks in on rear preload.
1 1/4 turns counter clockwise from full rebound.

I have a stretch of road I ride everyday that has large creases running across and my suspension settings almost make them feel like small jumps it's so harsh. It has been feeling like the rear is hitting ledge it's so harsh, the frt feels OK as I really don't feel much through the bars only the seat.

With todays settings (was full soft previously) it felt a touch better with more rear preload. The front feels more planted with these settings also so I think I'm getting somewhere.

I must mention I have about 50k on my bike so I'm sure the spenders are feeling aged.

SS

Go to the Library and pull up the past Concourier articles and read the article published in the 2012 Summer edition on setting up the suspension. We developed a chart for different weight riders that will help you get your initial sag and damping settings correct.

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
Go to the Library and pull up the past Concourier articles and read the article published in the 2012 Summer edition on setting up the suspension. We developed a chart for different weight riders that will help you get your initial sag and damping settings correct.
That's for the paying members I take it? .... upon further inspection I guess it is ...... that explains alot.  :a012:
SS

I had been a forum subscriber for quite a while until I decided to improve my suspension settings.  Bought a membership specifically for this article/chart.  Money well spent!! :great:

My bike handling is vastly improved, and feels way more planted/stable.

Steve

ssbraun said:
I had been a forum subscriber for quite a while until I decided to improve my suspension settings.  Bought a membership specifically for this article/chart.  Money well spent!! :great:

My bike handling is vastly improved, and feels way more planted/stable.

Steve

I bet this thread will die with no helpful info to be freely shared.
I'll figure it out on my own .....  :great:
I'm sorta spolied by another OA where we help each out just because, I figured maybe .... but figured wrong I guess.  :-[

SS

My settings(no passenger).
I'm around 260lbs. in gear so these will likely be too stiff for you-
Mostly back roads, fairly aggressive experienced rider.

Front preload = 4 lines showing
Front rebound = 4 clicks out from full in
Rear preload = 8 clicks out from full in
Rear rebound = 3/4 turn out from full in

Good luck dialing yours in. 
-Jesse

Wow.  Dude.  Just breathe man :eek:

I weigh 250 with gear  :(.  My setting will probably do you little good since you're 180.  Mine is set as follows:

Front: preload 8mm per sketch in your manual
          damping 3 clicks ccw from full cw
Rear: preload 18 clicks cw from full ccw
          damping 1 turn ccw from full cw

I ride 10% commute (city) 90% twisty mountain roads  :great:
I don't care plush or firm, I want good handling.  Mine feels firm but is not harsh.  Hope this helps...

btw you get more bees with honey than vinegar, or so my grandfather used to say  :)

Timely, I just came out of the garage after adjusting the bike back to one rider.

Weight one up with riding gear 170 lbs.
Front: preload 12.5mm, ride height 4 clicks
Rear:  preload 13 clicks, sag 1 turn from closed.  a touch on the harsh side.

Weight two up with luggage 340 +/- lbs.
Front:  preload 5mm, ride height 2 clicks
Rear:  preload 22 clicks, sag 1/4 turn from fully closed.  Note the ride two up is more plush and comfortable for my better half.

For two riding I use the mode 2, High Combined Mode, braking option...much better drag down and lever/pedal feedback.

Did a slab trip with the wife this past week.

Me 180 in gear her 220 in gear with 60 lbs of gear packed .... approx 15 per side bag and 30 on the rack which has the Givi support added.

90% super slab at 60-75 mph.

1/16" showing on the frt preload with 2 clicks counter clockwise from full.
2 clicks counter clockwise from full on the rear preload with 1 full turn counter clockwise out on rebound.

Was actually a very nice setting overall even on the rougher sections of road.
No real dive under normal braking but I was riding low as I was easily flat footing (I have a 30" in seam max) at stops. For the 10% of turns we did encounter (she's not confident in the twisty stuff... my fault in 08) it was controlled and I felt like I could lean it waaaaay over with no issue.

Once the 60 was removed though it was harsh in both the frt and rear although I dialed some of that out with 4 more clicks counter clockwise on the frt rebound and 4 clicks softer on the the rear rebound.

I forgot to mention earlier that I do have my frt forks dropped about 7mm in the frt clamps for what that may help in understanding. I can hussle this pig on the right roads at a mid-level pace (like Hayden does in MotoGP  :D ) with not much issue even with a harsh ride.  :celebrate:

SS

LakeTrax said:

-Jesse

Good starting point for me. You change anything for loads or passenger? Anxious to get it out this morning with this setting

freebird6 said:
LakeTrax said:

-Jesse

Good starting point for me. You change anything for loads or passenger? Anxious to get it out this morning with this setting
I've changed the settings a few times, but just based on me and my load. If my wife wants to ride, we usually take the GL1800- However, I will add a click or 2 of rear preload on the rare occasion she rides the C14. The settings I use are definitely stiff, but don't feel harsh(to me at least). In the near future I may also add a tad more front preload- I was riding pretty hard in some good twisties the other weekend and felt the front end diving just a bit more than I liked on initial braking for certain corners-

This will help me greatly as well. I'm just starting to understand suspension, and this will give me a starting point to set it where I'd like. Currently I hit a bump, and occasionally get bucked off the seat(not completely of course). I'm just over 150 so that chart is perfect.

I'm all about trial and error but will gladly use info from those who have gone before me. While "soft" and "harsh" can be rather subjective I found this chart to be quite accurate, especially when you dial up the pace on the C-14.
Once set the only setting I change now is the easily adjusted rear shock pre-load. I even used a sharpie arrow with a "S" on the adjuster body to confirm direction. I waffle between 17 and 20 clicks in.
This and PR3 tires lets you get your ride on. ;D

Help?
I went and made a few adjustments on the suspension and things were looking up until I cranked the rear shock preload adjuster and it is now seemingly jammed and almopst impossible to turn short of a large pair of pliers. Obviously I am not going to take pliers to it as it is under warranty and I would not want to risk a denial. Any ideas on how to free it up short of taking it to the dealer? I can't see anything since the knob covers all of the adjuster screw.
Matt

Mine was seized  first time I tried to use it. I sprayed it pretty good with some PB Blaster and that took care of it.

Looks like Kawi is seeing some issues with the rear shock adjusters seizing up. I am waiting for a callback from my dealer as to whether or not I will have to have them send my shock back to kawi before I can get a replacement. This would mean probably more than 2 weeks downtime sitting at the shop.  :'(
That will suck if it happens that way!
Matt

mattchewn said:
Looks like Kawi is seeing some issues with the rear shock adjusters seizing up. I am waiting for a callback from my dealer as to whether or not I will have to have them send my shock back to kawi before I can get a replacement. This would mean probably more than 2 weeks downtime sitting at the shop.  :'(
Matt

You can borrow my oem one for a couple weeks if ya need Matt.  :beerchug:

ZG said:
mattchewn said:
Matt

You can borrow my oem one for a couple weeks if ya need Matt.  :beerchug:
Jay,
I'll even volunteer to help you beat some cash outta Gumby! I should find out something early next week on whether or not I am going to have to wait it out. I hope not. But hey, If you want to loan me your Ohlins I'd be ok with that! I might even chip in for shipping.
Matt

I'm set the bike up using the 150lb set up from the chart, and it's much better now. I used the soft setup, and now no more getting bucked off the seat on a bump. Also, it's much more controllable in the corners when hitting uneven pavement. Previously, that would really upset the suspension. I'm impressed that adjusting the suspension on this bike actually makes a difference. Last bike I had was fully adjustable, but you really couldn't tell much difference.

I gave up on the chart that is attached above because I think the way that chart describes setting the front pre-load is confusing. It's probably my Dutch heritage but that's how it looked to me. I ended up setting the front at 8mm measured from the top nut as described in the manual and the back at 18 clicks in from full out, one up, and 20 to 22 clicks in when two up. Measured the sag and it looks pretty close to perfect and the bike with PR4's and a 55 rear tire rides great. I weigh 200lbs and I won't divulge my wife's weight. I have a Givi 55 trunk mounted always. My rear pre-load was stuck also but a little compressed air and lube got it free.

Fork

Fork said:
I gave up on the chart that is attached above because I think the way that chart describes setting the front pre-load is confusing. It's probably my Dutch heritage but that's how it looked to me. I ended up setting the front at 8mm measured from the top nut as described in the manual and the back at 18 clicks in from full out, one up, and 20 to 22 clicks in when two up. Measured the sag and it looks pretty close to perfect and the bike with PR4's and a 55 rear tire rides great. I weigh 200lbs and I won't divulge my wife's weight. I have a Givi 55 trunk mounted always. My rear pre-load was stuck also but a little compressed air and lube got it free.

Fork

Agreed , I read the chart as it's for a 150# rider only
Think I will fiddle with the cable tie method for the front preload and just play with rebound settings front and rear and use some of the posted settings here as a baseline

Fork said:

Fork

So you weigh about the same as I.  When you say "in the manual" are you talking the bikes manual?  I need to adjust mine so it rides smoother for my better half.  What was your sag measured at?

I got new PR4's on the bike (55 rear) and it does corner better although at 130 the front end jumped around a bit on a straight shot (little nerve racking).  :motonoises:

Yes, the owners manual. It is also set for 150lb person but it gives you a starting point. The front pre-load has rings around it which you could use as a measuring guide but it would be big jumps from one setting to another. The owners manual measures the front pre-load in terms of mm from the top nut to the base. I set it at 8mm which is about perfect for my weight. When I bought the bike the dealer decided to help me out by setting the pre-load without my asking and he had the front screwed all the way in. Stable but pretty stiff.

fork

Ummmm...the top column, only, in the adjustments refers to "standard" as in stock settings = 150 lb. rider.
If you have any doubts how to make the adjustments use the owners manual. Always start from zero (typically counter clockwise)
Suspension settings are never one size fits all, just trying to give a baseline, just try the "just right" and adjust from there if needed.  The C-14 has allot of adjustment and once dialed in it handles in spades. Good tuning!

Does someone know how I get eyes on the suspension mentioned above? The drop box link is dead.
It would be much appreciated!
Z

Not sure that you can see the manual on line?
If I'm wrong, someone can post the Link.

I suspect that you'll probably have to buy a manual?

Ride safe, Ted