• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

ZG 1000 THERMOSTATS / HELP

I can not believe a OEM thermostat for my ZG 1000 costs $50.00 plus freight. I was looking over some old posts and saw where a Carquest Part# 33028 for $9.95 fits my ZG 1000. Can someone that knows better than I do please verify this for me. I certainly do not want to damage or cause a overheating issue. I drove my ZG 1000 for the first time today since I have owned it, went for 107 miles & It was flawless. It has resided under my car- port for the last 2 months. It has been gone over from one end to the other. I trust it now because I took it apart and know it is right. Buying a used bike sometimes has it's downfalls but this one turned out great. Got off track so if you can help with the thermostat I would be grateful thanks.

Dean

Dean, I cannot verify the Carquest part number for you (after looking I see it is a radiator cap and not a T-stat), HOWEVER, there are replacements out there. eBay item number 271919563243 is one available right now for $17 with Free Shipping.
On another note, if your bike is overheating, you can remove the thermostat and run without it during warm weather without ill effect. In cooler or cold weather there will be an effect that the bike will not get fully warmed up for a bit. But that's about the only downside. I hope this is helpful.

Look at the top line in the tech pages there is a common part numbers section. Many t stats listed for the C-10. As a member you should have access. Make sure you are signed in when you go to access this information.

We carry the OEM $44... something and supply the o-ring seal...if you use the generic ones you see listed you will need to drill a small bypass hole in the pill plate

Best

Murph

What Rev said is correct; that is their radiator cap.

Thermostat (OEM) 49054-1051, 49054-0003
Thermostat Housing O-Ring 92055-112
Thermostat* (Pep Boys) 29368
Thermostat* (Stant – carton) 13368
Thermostat* (Stant – blister-pak) 35368

And the hole Gary mentioned:
*NOTE: A 5/32" diameter bleed hole must be drilled in the same location
as in the OEM unit.

Last edited:
I need to ride this bike a little more to see what is normal on the temp guage. When driving around town the guage will be way down on the needle then when you stop at a light it climbs rapidly to not quite half way then the fan kicks in but it never reaches even half on the temp guage. Drive it on the interstate and the temp guage is about a little more than a quarter inch from were the guage rest. Is this normal on your bike or does it differ from mine. I just flushed the radiator 4 times with distilled water bringing it to a heat cycle each time. I added Honda line blue antifreeze. No leaks and it seems to work well. Thanks for the info guys. When I buy a thermostat it will be from Murph. I did not know he sold them. One thing I did notice is when that fan kicks in that hot air on your pantleg can get a little warm when riding in town.

I need to ride this bike a little more to see what is normal on the temp guage. When driving around town the guage will be way down on the needle then when you stop at a light it climbs rapidly to not quite half way then the fan kicks in but it never reaches even half on the temp guage. Drive it on the interstate and the temp guage is about a little more than a quarter inch from were the guage rest. Is this normal on your bike or does it differ from mine. I just flushed the radiator 4 times with distilled water bringing it to a heat cycle each time. I added Honda line blue antifreeze. No leaks and it seems to work well. Thanks for the info guys. When I buy a thermostat it will be from Murph. I did not know he sold them. One thing I did notice is when that fan kicks in that hot air on your pantleg can get a little warm when riding in town.
This sounds perfectly normal for a C10. The fan will kick on about middle of the gauge, but the bike will run close to the low end most of the time. In stop and go traffic on a hot day it will get on past the middle with the fan running. If it actually overheats (into the red), then it could have an issue with the thermostat, the fan, radiator, or simply air in the system (a likelihood to check first). If it doesn't actually overheat, it's acting normal. There is only about a 25 degree spread over the largest portion of the gauge above the "cool" portion.

From what I've read here through the years the temp gauges on these bikes read differently from bike to bike . For mine , normal during a ride on a hot day is just over 1/4 on the gauge . It creeps up just over half when stopped and fan kicks on . For others it seems the gauge stays low most times . My bike has been the same for 12 years now so I'm calling it good . Never been an issue as far as overheating . Different coolant , thermostats , etc made no difference.

Cra- z Your bike sounds exactly like mine. My temp is doing exactly as yours is doing. I never had a ZG 1000 before. Does yours blow hot air back on your legs while you are stopped at a light. My fan will shut on & off at a three minute light.

Plenty of hot air on the legs is also normal. There have been folks that have enclosed the sides of the engine to mitigate that, but the C10'S really shine as a cool to cold weather bike. In the winter, if you want to do the work, pull all the heat shields to turn up the heat. Some also just use the upper fairing and remove the rest for more air in the warm weather.

Your system sounds like it's working correctly.

The reason for the temp swing is airflow.
Going down the hwy. you're getting a lot of ambient airflow over the radiator & engine.
When stopped you have no airflow until the fan comes on.
After the fan comes on, there is a lot less airflow (than while riding), and much of that air is heated by the pipes/engine (not ambient air).
NOTE: The preset/fan-on temp is intentionally higher than the temp you see while riding. (Maintains a safe temp, and keeps the fan from running all the time)

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone's help I know my ZG 1000 is running like it is supposed to. That is a big plus. Thank you all for all your help it is much appreciated. Now I can move on to something else. If is was not for this forum and the great bunch of guys that you are I would be lost trying to do all the great mods I have done in the last 2 months.
Thanks again. Dean

Thanks to everyone's help I know my ZG 1000 is running like it is supposed to. That is a big plus. Thank you all for all your help it is much appreciated. Now I can move on to something else. If is was not for this forum and the great bunch of guys that you are I would be lost trying to do all the great mods I have done in the last 2 months.
Thanks again. Dean
This is yhe perfect time to say it....
Join for the bike, stay for the people......
Gotta get u to some Cog events so u can meet some of these wonderful people...

Thanks again. Dean

Love the COG community. Great tech advice and good natured banter, and great rallys.

I had the same heat questions when I bought my 06 4 years ago. With tech help from this forum, I went the “half naked” route. I like it a lot.
I have long write up on it on here somewhere.
Best Regards
Bob

9ED58A95-23A0-4A87-9A91-87A6FB1898D5.jpeg12582CDF-67B3-46C8-A3A6-65A776742E85.jpeg