• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Zumo or I phone? OR Both?

Tim R

I have been planning on getting a Zumo 595LM for a couple of years. Prices are starting to go down. It appears it should be paired with a Apple I phone. Would it be better to just get a I phone or should I also get a Zumo? I am looking for the MAPS/GPS so I can get t my destination with ease. Please advise. Thanks in advance for opinions/experience,Tim

The Zumo will give you a made for the outdoors, specifically a motorcycle, and purpose built navigation device. It will be waterproof, better in the sun, work with gloves, and have the ability to accept and modify custom routes. You can only get some of the way there with an iPhone. I link my iPhone to the Zumo and have the Zumo and IPhone paired with my Sena 20. You then get turn by turn navigation to the helmet and can control the iPhone media and process calls and texts on the Zumo. The Zumo can read you texts and emails to you.
I wouldn’t go with just the iPhone thinking it’s a better solution. It would be cheaper.

+1 on 4BIKES. It will also par with an Android phone for calls, music, ect. The Zumo will let you plan custom routes on skinny roads that most phone mapping programs will try to avoid and will stay connected to the satellites when the phone is out of cell connection. Yes I know that cell phones also have a GPS in them. Additionally do you want to mount your $1000.00 new I Phone out in the elements and vibration of a motorcycle.

I have an iPhone, but still use my GPS all the time for navigation.  The reasons are - GPS will stay on and display all the time, it won't run down the phone battery, it leaves the phone free for playing music and phone calls. 

I think what I might do is get the Zumo 595 along with a head set and call it good until I figure out the cheapest phone that will work with it. Since I retired, I'm not stuck to a cell phone and IMHO just another piece of equipment to break. But I do need some way to navigate. I would rather have the Zumo first. But the question remains. Thanks for the responses thus far. When it comes to GPS and smart phones I'm in the dark. If you saw my cell phone you would understand. It's used to make and receive phone calls. Yes I can get texts and it is a pain in the neck to reply. I may or may not get a picture sent. Tim

Tim, I'm like you, my phone is 12 years old and that's fine, it's dumb and I'm ok with that, when it no longer works, I doubt very much that I will ever get another cell phone as I don't really need it. I bought a ZUMO and it's ok. Way too much stuff on it that I'll ever even think about knowing that it's even on the device. I still used paper maps on my trip to GA this past summer as the ZUMO guided me down roads and into cities that I never wanted to go through and trying to spend 3 hours to try to program that thing to prevent that before every time I got on the bike was't worth my time. So, it's a great thing to have to use as a reference, a great thing to have if lost, nice to know when you will arrive someplace and it recalculates your trip when you decide to explore away from the planned trip. The ZUMO is another tool that is helpful but as with all electronic tools and devices, I have a backup when it stops working, I'm not a slave to it and am capable of surviving without it. Good luck, there are some really cool items out there, just know what you need.

funny, I have a Garmin 2610, and lost my interface cable, so I can't updaate anything any more.. but it works, albeeit small screen, and a POS that was cutting edge when I got it in '05, for like $600 of my (wife bought it for me as a gift, but it was my cash).. worked, still works, but I find myself still carrying a paper map, in my tank bag top plastic, and when I want added stuff, simply stop and seek via my android cell samsung phone.. then roll on..

Tim, I would get either the Zumo 595LM or TomTom Rider 550.  The TomTom has a smaller screen, but I think it does a better job at using the screen real estate it has.  So the usable screen is probably about the same.  You can find the TomTom Rider 550 here for $250.  https://www.amazon.com/TomTom-Motorcycle-Navigation-Specific-Winding/dp/B07D47QP28?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B07D47QP28  The Garmin Zumo 595LM is about twice that price.

The Garmin has one advantage in that exchanging routes with others is easier.  But I can only think of one time when I did that.  So it isn't a big deal.

I have a Samsung Note 9.  When I saw you last, it was a Note 4.  That was the day my old Note 4 died.  :(  My point is that an iPhone is not necessary at all.  What you're looking for is any phone that has Bluetooth.  The setup is the phone and Bluetooth headset will connect to the GPS.  In reality, if you don't use a phone today on the bike, you don't have to.  Just go from the GPS to the Bluetooth headset.

You can go one of two ways on the Bluetooth headset.  Pricey or cheap.  Both work.  The pricey alternatives are Sena, Uclear and Cardo.  Whichever you buy, get one that is the same brand as friends you ride with have.  The connection between riders is easy.  If you never ride with anyone...go the cheap route.  I've ridden with others who have Bluetooth headsets they bought on eBay and they work fine.  And instead of $200, you're looking at $49.

Any smartphone will give you GPS routing capabilities.  But I don't think you want to do this.  The camera on many has some very sensitive electronics to auto-focus the lenses.  I've read of several smartphones that have died because the camera no longer functions.  The vibration on the handlebars killed the phone.  Plus, some smartphones will shut down when they overheat; that's caused by both the sun coming down on them, and the phone trying to power a bright screen.  When it shuts down...you're out of luck.

But a motorcycle GPS keeps working.

Chris

Tim, if U haven't brought anything yet I brought an old Zumo 390 that I have a powered mount for as the battery doesn't last long on them & I also have a mount for my cell phone as it's quicker to grab than my Zumo as I don't use them unless I need them & I like to carry maps today!
Also, I almost forgot I can pair my cell phone to my headset that my son talked me into getting last year before our road trip together & I will say I do like that we can talk to each other if we have to only I have no desire to receive a phone call or talk to anyone except my son if he's riding w/ me otherwise I listen to whatever FM Station I can find or I just enjoy the music of the wind & my pipes!  :great:
I found this & not sure if this will work for U while riding!? https://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-zumo-396-LMT-S-Motorcycle-GPS-P5565.aspx

Attachments

• Zumo Phone MTS.jpg
    Zumo Phone MTS.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 139
Thanks for the ideas. I am pretty much stuck on the 595lm and prices are coming down. My flip phone started acting up so the wife made me get a iPhone XR. Which I hate for the moment. It's much heavier and get told to take it along. Since I retired I was not tied to my flip phone and often left it in strange places.

The 595 has a mp 3 player internally and plays stereo in the speakers. I also like the idea that it gives landmarks when directing a turn. 

Now that I have the iPhone I should be a little less likely to get lost but still want to pair it with a Zumo. Certainty the link you gave me is a less expensive way to go. Thanks Tim 

Zumo over iPhone... to date there is no phone app can do what the combination of Zumo + Basecamp for planning routes.

I should update. My flip phone which I loved...it made and received phone calls started going wonky and needed a re boot once in while. Sooo the wife decided I needed a smart phone. Short story long, she got a I 11 and I ended up with a I 10R. Made the switch back to Verizon from AT&T. bought the phones at Walmart and then got a heck of a deal from Verizon for being prior military. I hate it, the phone I mean. I refuse to be one of those guys who are on their phone at the lunch counter.  Now it's been too cold to use any thing to go any place on a motorcycle. So I have yet to use the maps or music yet. I doubt the Bluetooth ear buds that came with the phone will go under my Neo Tech with any comfort.

Still waiting for the Zumo 959LM to comedown a little more. 

Don't know if you noticed I have my Zumo package for sale. It should be on the for sale
part of the forum.

I have been planning on getting a Zumo 595LM for a couple of years. Prices are starting to go down. It appears it should be paired with a Apple I phone. Would it be better to just get a I phone or should I also get a Zumo? I am looking for the MAPS/GPS so I can get t my destination with ease. Please advise. Thanks in advance for opinions/experience,Tim
Use my older Zumo and my iPhone, the GPS is always on, like the speed and altimeter functions on my display but at the same time I can use the iPhone for turn by turn voice direction and listen to my music. I know you can program your GPS but I am lazy and let the iPhone lady tell me where to go next. 😀