• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2024 Volcano Ride

charlie gary

"Special" Assistant to the NWAD
This year's ride is going to look different from previous years. The original roads on the east side of Mt. St. Helens got too rough to ride years ago, and the road on the northwest side isn't long enough to make for more than a couple of hours of riding. This always leaves me struggling to have something interesting after lunch, so now we're looking at something completely different. I'm thinking about starting in Stevenson and running back roads to Trout Lake and an impressive view of the south side of Mt. Adams, followed by a ride through Glenwood and down along the Klickitat River before crossing over the Columbia River and down along the east side of Mt. Hood.
I'm open to suggestions for this new route. I won't promise to incorporate any or all suggestions, but I will promise to consider them. Please let me know what you think.

It sounds like a great plan. You'll bring in riders from Oregon more than the old route did probably.

I don't know whether Detroit fits in with your plans, but I've been looking for an excuse to pass through there since the fires.

What's your thoughts for getting to Stevenson? Slab it that morning? Spend the night in the area?

Chris

It sounds like a great plan. You'll bring in riders from Oregon more than the old route did probably.

I don't know whether Detroit fits in with your plans, but I've been looking for an excuse to pass through there since the fires.

What's your thoughts for getting to Stevenson? Slab it that morning? Spend the night in the area?

Chris
My tentative plan is to ride down Friday afternoon and stay with a friend in Stevenson, and spend Saturday night there instead of making a five hour ride home once the ride is done. Getting Detroit into the plan will take some route calculation testing to see if it fits.

What dates are you looking at? I don't see it on the event calendar.

I saw my surgeon today. He says 6-8 weeks with no weight on my foot...then another month before I can wear a shoe. Ugh. I'm hoping the dates work.

I was thinking about the same plan, except I don't know anybody in Stevenson. Go down the day before and make a nice ride of it. Spend the night and ride back the following day, again taking my time and enjoying the scenery and road.

Chris

The Volcano Ride is traditionally the second Saturday of August, so it would be on the 10th.

Phew! I'm going through withdrawal symptoms already and I haven't had the surgery yet. Just the thought of not riding is enough to drive me crazy.

Chris