• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Adding a charging port

jamesworful

I want to ad charging port for my phone/gps. Problem is, I have no idea where to pull power from for this project. Also, if anyone knows where I can get one I would appreciate any help.
Thanks

There are a set of accessory leads under the left faring pocket. Note that they're always live, not switched. Also, I'd keep the amp draw low. Like around 7 amps max. A gps and phone should be fine.

Thank you!
Is it possible to ad a switch in the line?
A switch wouldn't be too difficult to add with whatever wire harness you fabricate. Initially, I just used a cigarette lighter socket, routed the wires through the drain hole in the pocket and used crimp on male bullet terminals to tap into the accessory terminals. You're looking for wires with the female connectors. The black and yellow is ground. I think the positive is white and blue? I never had any switch, I just pulled out the USB charger between rides. Later on, I installed an additional fuse block and wiring that could power more accessories. That was rigged with a relay to only power up with the engine running.

On my C10, I soldered a wire to the hot side of one of the front running lights; I then used this to drive a relay. The relay switched battery power on/off to an auxiliary fuse panel.
This shut off all power when the ignition was shut off.
From that fuse panel I drove auxiliary lights (LEDs), GPS, heated grips, and air horns.

Reactions: Bud
I'd start by adding an auxiliary fuse panel, cuz once u start adding electrical farkles you won't stop...lol. next itll be aux lights, louder horn...like Jorge did
I did the same thing. I use the rear brake light switch for my trigger. There is a bullet connector just above the switch and I made a "Y" connector to put inline. No cutting/ splicing wires. GPS, aux lights, Cig lighter or muti usb power port, all turn off with the bike. During shutdown you can select the GPS so stay on with its battery.

I want to ad charging port for my phone/gps. Problem is, I have no idea where to pull power from for this project. Also, if anyone knows where I can get one I would appreciate any help.
Thanks
Here is my suggestion!

I installed this probably 15 years ago and it is awesome! It has a BUILT-IN relay so you can decide if you want your accessory switched or constant power just by putting the fuse for that particular accessory in a different position of one of the 6 slots. You just need to connect it to the battery and a switched source, like the twilight, and then you are in business! It even comes with positaps so no cutting or soldering. It cannot get any easier than this! It is more expensive than the $12 auto shop option, but if you are interested in having the best made and simplest solution out there (according to me), then you need to check it out! The built-in relay takes the cake for me. It also comes with a nice cover and a writable label.

On my C-14 I installed one of these. (see below)
It has a voltage readout and supplies power for my phone and/or GPS.
Would be perfect for a C-10 too.

Don't over think this. (See post #2 in this discussion)
You already have un-switched power thru a set of accessory leads that are located under the left faring pocket.
No fuse block is needed as it's already fused.

On a C-10 you can mount the plug on the inside edge of the upper left fairing. (The black one that has the fairing pocket in it).
Install the plug beside the pocket so that the head of the plug faces towards the frame and it will be very handy.
ie: In that location, it's out of sight but remains easily accessible. If you want a switch, install it there too..

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
On my C-14 I installed one of these. (see below)
It has a voltage readout and supplies power for my phone and/or GPS.
Would be perfect for a C-10 too.

Don't over think this. (See post #2 in this discussion)
You already have switched power thru a set of accessory leads that are located under the left faring pocket.
No fuse block is needed as it's already fused.

On a C-10 you can mount the plug on the inside edge of the upper left fairing. (The black one that has the fairing pocket in it).
Install the plug beside the pocket so that the head of the plug faces towards the frame and it will be very handy.
ie: In that location, it's out of sight but remains easily accessible. If you want a switch, install it there too..

Ride safe, Ted

Yes, you can use the fused accessory plugs under the left fairing, but beware that it is direct power from the battery on the C10. It is not switched by the key or latching relay after starting.

BTW, here's what the Daytona USB plugs look like on my clip-ons. They are great for powering anything you want on the bars.

For something that you want to mount on the dash, a port on that would work better. A previous owner installed a BMW style DIN plug in the dash surround.

1000005696.jpg