• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Carburetor Float Bowl Overflow Tubes

diamondavid2648

I recently contacted SISF hoping to have him install carb overflow tubes for me but he informed me that he is not doing any carb work at all right now and that the person who took over the float bowl overflow tube installation service had a fire in his shop that shut down his operation. So, before I put the carbs back in without the tubes (which I hate to do), does anyone know of where I could get this done?

I recently contacted SISF hoping to have him install carb overflow tubes for me but he informed me that he is not doing any carb work at all right now and that the person who took over the float bowl overflow tube installation service had a fire in his shop that shut down his operation. So, before I put the carbs back in without the tubes (which I hate to do), does anyone know of where I could get this done?

I do not.
But, l I have seen a few conversations on here of people who did it them selves.

Certain years of the Kawasaki Voyager use the same bowls with factory overflows installed if you can find them . There are threads here referencing that info too .

After first contracting Steve and being informed that he was not doing them for the time being, I also did them myself.

I found some info on the forum from searching and on a YouTube video. You want to use 1/8" brass tubing from the hardware store, and very carefully drill out an opening that will give you an interference fit, then drive the tubes in and cut them off 8-10mm above the top of the bowls.

I ruined one carb bowl in the process (the 0.123" reaming but that should have been a theoretical 0.002" interference fit ended up loose), but eventually figured it out after practicing in some scrap aluminum plate I had laying around. I used loctite green bearing retaining compound as well, but I got a pretty tight fit, so that was overkill

Here's some notes I took after my trial and error learning process:
1000004225.jpg

After first contracting Steve and being informed that he was not doing them for the time being, I also did them myself.

I found some info on the forum from searching and on a YouTube video. You want to use 1/8" brass tubing from the hardware store, and very carefully drill out an opening that will give you an interference fit, then drive the tubes in and cut them off 8-10mm above the top of the bowls.

I ruined one carb bowl in the process (the 0.123" reaming but that should have been a theoretical 0.002" interference fit ended up loose), but eventually figured it out after practicing in some scrap aluminum plate I had laying around. I used loctite green bearing retaining compound as well, but I got a pretty tight fit, so that was overkill

Here's some notes I took after my trial and error learning process:
View attachment 38194
Hmm good to.have a new skill, maybe you could be the overflow tube man. Seeing as how Steve isn't doing them anymore....food for thought?

Hmm good to.have a new skill, maybe you could be the overflow tube man. Seeing as how Steve isn't doing them anymore....food for thought?
The thought has crossed my mind, but I've got enough of my own projects and hobbies at this point. If Steve's guy is going to be back doing them again, I'd just suggest others go to him. If he's out of the business now, then there is definitely a need in the market. It's the kind of project that's tricky to learn and get right, but straightforward if you get set up to do them regularly. I don't know how Steve did them, but if I was going to do them regularly, I'd make some jigs and a few special tools to make it more efficient, rather than fiddling around clamping them in my regular drill press vise manually each time.