• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Comparison: Pilot Road 6 vs RoadSmart 4

S Smith

Northeast Area Director

I found the reviewers experience and opinions interesting. My favorite quote from the review is: We decided that if tires could talk, the Pirellis would say “Do we have to turn?” while the Michelins would say “I’m ready when you are” and the Dunlops would say “I knew you wanted to turn, so just follow me.”

I'm gonna try the Dunlop RS4 when the Mich PR5 are shot... Found a set on eBay for $367 w/free shipping.

Dennis Kirk has great prices on tires...better than Revzilla. You might want to look at their prices as well.

We have lots of trees where I live. I wonder if there's a money tree outside. I'll go look for it. Be right back! :D

FWIW, I used to compile a chart of tire prices and rebates. One of the conclusions I made, was that the difference in tire quality was minimal from the lowest cost tire to the highest cost tire. Ten years ago or more, the difference in motorcycle tires was probably far greater than it is now. But with all the modern technology going into tires...they are all very similar in terms of dry traction, wet traction and tire wear or longevity. You might feel some difference in the tires eagerness to tip over, or in comfort. But those are subjective feelings.

And how much will it cost for a minimal improvement in one over the other? For my BMW, I like the Conti RA3/4 and the Bridgestone T32s the best. The Conti was my favorite, even over the Dunlop RS4. But I recently tried the T32s...and found I like them equally well as the Conti's. Except that there's a $90 difference in price with the Conti's costing the most. (I couldn't find the money tree and looked everywhere for it!) So I'll stick with the equally performing and less costly T32s.

Chris

I recently went from Dunlop RS2's and 3's to Metzler Roadtec Z8's.
No problems with the Z8's, but I liked the Dunlop's a bit more because of the handling.
Would report the handling like he did.
The Metzlers would say “I’m ready when you are” and the Dunlops would say “I knew you wanted to turn, so just follow me.”
Will probably go to the Dunlop's again when these are done.

Ride safe, Ted

PS:

I like the way he conducted his test.
I like the way he explained the results.
I like the Tire statement.
** I know you can trust his report.

ie; He's on a Red bike and his name is Ted.

Last edited:
We have lots of trees where I live. I wonder if there's a money tree outside. I'll go look for it. Be right back! :D

FWIW, I used to compile a chart of tire prices and rebates. One of the conclusions I made, was that the difference in tire quality was minimal from the lowest cost tire to the highest cost tire. Ten years ago or more, the difference in motorcycle tires was probably far greater than it is now. But with all the modern technology going into tires...they are all very similar in terms of dry traction, wet traction and tire wear or longevity. You might feel some difference in the tires eagerness to tip over, or in comfort. But those are subjective feelings.

And how much will it cost for a minimal improvement in one over the other? For my BMW, I like the Conti RA3/4 and the Bridgestone T32s the best. The Conti was my favorite, even over the Dunlop RS4. But I recently tried the T32s...and found I like them equally well as the Conti's. Except that there's a $90 difference in price with the Conti's costing the most. (I couldn't find the money tree and looked everywhere for it!) So I'll stick with the equally performing and less costly T32s.

Chris

Agreed.
I've used a couple sets of Conti RA on the C14. It's a fine, very underrated tire for the price... just need to wait until they have the $50 rebate
Have not been a fan of Bridgestone

I dont know if you saw this on the other thread, but This deal is good through September 30th. At Rockymountainatvmc.com

Attachments​

• Screenshot_20230731_155115_Chrome~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20230731_155115_Chrome~2.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 24

Not saying I told you so, really I am not, however the same results we experienced and I shared here ~three years ago when we spent the better part of a whole season and a lot of money (some tires we gave up early on testing and threw tread away for the experience was just that bad).

Pirelli - never again. Michelin (multiple models tested, yes I can make them work, Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart IV that is where it’s at (for us and obviously for the writers of this article and last years’ as well).

We only tested / compared three brands Pirelli, Michelin and Dunlop and I believe 6 different models within. Unlike the article writer, we did not have the luxury of testing them side x side and had to compare notes.

For this article’s writers I predict when they come back at 3,000 miles the difference in handling favoring the Dunlop RSIV will be even more pronounced - for us this tire gives lifelong superior mileage, handling, and does not fade or lose any of its attributes over the life of the tire.

We’ve ridden at a sustained 109*F down to the teens*F, deserts, mountains, snow skimmed roads, torrential downpours, wet tree covered mossed roads, scorching melted tar burning heat, dirt / light gravel, and outran a tornado in Kansas - all the above is true and what’s just as true: this tire delivers beyond any tire I’ve used previously.

If you haven’t tried this tire, for the sake of your…..
  1. Safety (sticks like glue, tracks perfectly, stops predictably, performance never degrades / or changes over the miles, handles wet / dry, cold / hot very much the same and confidently)
  2. Spending way less $$$ (as these will WAY outlast others in the Michelin and Pirelli bloodlines)
  3. Having more fun, adding more smiles to every mile
try them. I predict the only disappointment you’ll feel, “Why didn’t I do this earlier”. YMMV but I predict you’ll experience the same as we have and as the writer of this article and his testing partner.

PS - Make your friend’s bike RED with envy.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Not saying I told you so, really I am not, however the same results we experienced and I shared here ~three years ago when we spent the better part of a whole season and a lot of money (some tires we gave up early on testing and threw tread away for the experience was just that bad).

Pirelli - never again. Michelin (multiple models tested, yes I can make them work, Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart IV that is where it’s at (for us and obviously for the writers of this article and last years’ as well).

We only tested / compared three brands Pirelli, Michelin and Dunlop and I believe 6 different models within. Unlike the article writer, we did not have the luxury of testing them side x side and had to compare notes.

For this article’s writers I predict when they come back at 3,000 miles the difference in handling favoring the Dunlop RSIV will be even more pronounced - for us this tire gives lifelong superior mileage, handling, and does not fade or lose any of its attributes over the life of the tire.

We’ve ridden at a sustained 109*F down to the teens*F, deserts, mountains, snow skimmed roads, torrential downpours, wet tree covered mossed roads, scorching melted tar burning heat, dirt / light gravel, and outran a tornado in Kansas - all the above is true and what’s just as true: this tire delivers beyond any tire I’ve used previously.

1. Safety (sticks like glue, tracks perfectly, stops predictably, performance never degrades / or changes over the miles, handles wet / dry, cold / hot very much the same and confidently)
  2. Spending way less $$$ (as these will WAY outlast others in the Michelin and Pirelli bloodlines)
try them. I predict the only disappointment you’ll feel, “Why didn’t I do this earlier”. YMMV but I predict you’ll experience the same as we have and as the writer of this article and his testing partner.

Wayne, Carol & Blue
You got me on this one Wayne. Have had a couple sets of Michelin Pilot 4 GTs. Last season added 6,000 miles and she needed a new set. Planning on buying a set of the Dunlop Roadsmart tires for my next replacement, which will likely be the start of next season. Looking forward to how she will ride.

It took me 13 years before i would even think about another set of Bridgestone's. But these have nothing in common with the stockers.
It’s such a shame that at times manufacturers choose an inferior tire, I suppose it’s price. Of course the tire is a personal choice and MC mfr’s know this but to use such a lame tire on a sport touring machine is in my mind a dodo move, kind of like no factory cruise control on the brand’s leading sport touring machine.

To your point @laker9142 Bridgestone overall receives a bad name from many C14 owners as their first experience of the brand on a NEW machine is a mediocre tire that handles like crap, fades quickly with mileage and overall is a dud.

I would think Bridgestone would want to help in the keeping the price point down to slip some better dancing shoes on… I will inform that I also have never tried another set of Bridgestones on my machine and it is because of that first experience, I could be missing out too…?

Wayne, Carol & Blue

I could be missing out too…?
Probably, you can't go wrong with trying at least one set. Don't get me wrong about Dunlops. They are very good too. The only thing is the Bridgestone have more silica in it resulting in better wet traction. The Bridgestone website explains the construction or the T32gt very well.

I did see the price increase was finally applied at rockymountianatvmc.com. I paid $217, 6 weeks ago now they're closer to $230 with the rebate. I bought 2 rears and a front and am getting a $75 gift card, confirmed.

One other thing is that I get 1 front to 2 rears. That's never happened in 15 years of ownership.

Probably, you can't go wrong with trying at least one set. Don't get me wrong about Dunlops. They are very good too. The only thing is the Bridgestone have more silica in it resulting in better wet traction. The Bridgestone website explains the construction or the T32gt very well.

I did see the price increase was finally applied at rockymountianatvmc.com. I paid $217, 6 weeks ago now they're closer to $230 with the rebate. I bought 2 rears and a front and am getting a $75 gift card, confirmed.

One other thing is that I get 1 front to 2 rears. That's never happened in 15 years of ownership.
I did the same to the Dunlop RSIV most recent with two rears to one front. Front tire was definitely done though l, tread equal to the wear bars all around the front.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Wayne, Carol & Blue
I am curious about the Roadsmart III tires. They are at a great price right now. I have been on the Michelin Pilot 4 GTs the last 2 seasons since they are a much better price than the Pilot 6 GTs. At around 6,000 miles the rear is about done both seasons with the pilot 4s.

I am curious about the Roadsmart III tires. They are at a great price right now. I have been on the Michelin Pilot 4 GTs the last 2 seasons since they are a much better price than the Pilot 6 GTs. At around 6,000 miles the rear is about done both seasons with the pilot 4s.
I spun up a Dunlop Roadsmart IIl on more than one occasion and decided to remove them for the IV’s.

Regrettable I had that set of III’s on here (60% tread left) for FREE but nobody took them so when we moved I brought them to a tire shop and a kid took them happier than a pig in ‘stuff’.

So - the III’s won’t last as long and as noted when cold I was able to spin em loose and trigger the reaction control.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Update 1: The Michelin PR5 are toast after less than 5000 miles. Very disappointing.
The Dunlop RS4 are mounted and ready for Fall Meetup this weekend.

IMG_4261.jpeg

Update 2: Back from attending the NE Fall Meet-Up and rode a bit less than 1000 miles on the new RS4. So far, my impression of these tires is quite favorable - especially considering the price differential to the Michelins. Over the weekend I had very limited experience on wet roads, in a slight drizzle. Mostly it was dry riding. The tires performed well overall, including the technical twisties of Vermont RT 17 across the App Gap. I am very curious as to tire life, and will report a final update to this thread when the tires come off.