• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Horn, tail light and license plate lights, instrumentation lights not working from time to time

mihaivoicu259749

Hello forum people. I have a 2003 and I encountered the following problem. From time to time, when I use the rear break and / or the front break, my 15 amp fuse blows. With that, I have no tail lights, license plate, instrumentation or horn. I replaced the fuse and the moment I press the front/rear break the fuse is blown. Sometimes, this is not happening and everything works just great for few days and suddenly you stop and start again and the moment I use the break the fuse is blown. I checked the wires, I replaced the rear break switch, I cleaned the rear / tail connectors and did not see anything "special". There is a possibility the problem reappears all of a sudden. No matter how many times I tried, I cannot reproduce the problem at will. So, I am looking for some advice. Maybe someone encountered the same. Looking forward to hearing your comments.

Intermittent things can be hard to find. Looking at the fuse box first is probably the easiest thing to do. On my 86 the solder joints had cracked and I had intermittent starting. You may find the same thing along the brake fuse.

If that ( fuse box) checks out ok, then the next thing I would suspect is that you may have a wire (in the brake circuit) that has rubbed off the insulation in the main harness, and is making intermittent contact with ground. This will be harder to find.

Make sure you check the front brake light switch also. I had to replace mine a while back due to similar problems. It's located up under the front brake fluid reservoir.

Last edited:
From time to time, when I use the rear break and / or the front break
Could be a worn wire, or insulation on wire that has worn through. Deacceleration could be causing this wire to rub against ground causing a short. You may not see this happen while at rest, but only during real brake use. Could be anywhere on the bike, so process of elimination will weed it out.

You could try to ohm it out by tilting the bike in different directions, and it would help if you have the right tools of course. That's gonna be a tough problem to solve, but doable. Good luck.

I also saw this type of failure when dirt + moisture get inside connectors. Pull all related connectors and make sure they are quite clean.

Last edited:
With you blowing the fuse I would suspect a worn wire. The most common area is the harness where it goes from the front brake switch to the underside of the fuel tank. Sometimes when the tank is put back on the wires near the front mount can get damaged.

Try to duplicate the malfunction by holding the front brake and turning the handlebars back and forth. Next remove the tank and look for damaged wires. Flex and move the wiring under the tank while holding the front brake.

Hello everyone, I am overwhelmed by all these responses. Thank you all! I am going to take your advises and process them one by one. But if there is anyone else who has more ideas, please let me know. I will keep you updated with my findings.

Hello everyone, I am overwhelmed by all these responses. Thank you all! I am going to take your advises and process them one by one. But if there is anyone else who has more ideas, please let me know. I will keep you updated with my findings.
Did you get the issue figured out?