• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

SOLD - (4) B.D.F Low Fuel Indicator Bypass Available

S Smith

Northeast Area Director
I was chatting with Brian's wife the other day. She is clearing out motorcycle parts from the house.
She has for sale, four (4) low fuel bypass indicator bypass harnesses @ $50 each
PM me and I will provide her contact info.

Steve,

Can you explain exactly what the items do and how difficult they are to install? Please send me her contact info.

Thanks,

Mike Seubert
COG #3339

Steve,

Can you explain exactly what the items do and how difficult they are to install? Please send me her contact info.

Thanks,

Mike Seubert
COG #3339
It keeps the low fuel warning from taking over the display on the dash. As far as I know, you disconnect a wire in the fairing and it plugs in between the disconnected wires.

It keeps the low fuel warning from taking over the display on the dash. As far as I know, you disconnect a wire in the fairing and it plugs in between the disconnected wires.
Yes, I have one. The down side is you loose the low fuel warning and you end up playing chicken with the remaining fuel.
Only for those who like extra adventure and like to gamble with the open road.

In my opinion it is much better than the light. The idiot light trips and stays on right around 40 miles left in the tank according to the computer. After that you have no clue how many miles are left. If it came on when you were going down hill at 80 mph you could easily have 60 to 80 miles left before you needed fuel.

One of the best Farkles I have added.

Very easy to install plugs into the fuel guage sending wiring.

Could that be altered so you could get the low fuel warning and then dismiss it?

Could that be altered so you could get the low fuel warning and then dismiss it?
The mod removes the low fuel warning. If you decide to remove the mod, then its back to original warning. Then to turn off the warning:

When you have a warning flashing on your electronic dash, you can reset it allowing you access to the other windows.
  1. Press and hold button A (top)

2. Press and release button B (bottom)

3. Release button A (top)
These instructions were specifically for a 2011 C14, but should be the same for all Concours 14 models/years.

Anyway, at that point, you are down to about 1 gallon of fuel remaining.

The connection point is down by the back of the fuel tank. I think I had to unbolt the tank and lift it to get to the wiring.

I'm not saying that it can't be done, but I've had many a phone discussion with Brian about that subject. He also has burned up some wires and perhaps a fuel pump or two in his research in this area. The problem is that (IIRC) two different systems are involved here. There is a thermistor attached to the fuel pump assembly that changes resistance when the fuel level drops below it's height in the tank, which is what sets the warning
flag in the ECU. The warning flag, once set can only be cleared by the separate fuel level sensor. Trying to have both available to you (a warning and a miles left readout) would involve modifications to two different systems and perhaps even a power off sequence in the middle of what would probably be an involved procedure. Seems excessive when one can just press the buttons as per Scary Harry's post above.
I do think a switch could be utilized to decide before hand whether you want the fuel warning active or disabled but it is a decision that needs to be made before the warning goes off, not something that could be changed on the fly after the warning is set. Probably could go from no warning to warning but not the reverse, which is what most people would want.
The only really practical further modification (besides Brian's device) that I can think of would be to modify the position of the thermstor so it is higher or lower in the tank to give either an earlier warning or a later one.

I know myself, more than once I got caught up in the ride and the scenery and general pleasure of the day that I was pulled out of my euphoric cloud by the low fuel warning. That's why I never installed the device that Brian gave me, and no it's not for sale until my C14 is for sale (post my cremation).

Last edited:
I was chatting with Brian's wife the other day. She is clearing out motorcycle parts from the house.
She has for sale, four (4) low fuel bypass indicator bypass harnesses @ $50 each
PM me and I will provide her contact info.
I want one if they are still available.
How do I pm you? I don't see a link.