• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

WTB Left side mirror brake housing. 2010 model.

zrxmax

Pistons, Cams, and Valves!
The left side mirror and housing are good. What I am looking for is the plastic cover that goes around the structure that covers the mirror mount underneath the mirror.

It is a 2010 model

Here are a couple pictures of the broken un-named plastic part. I am just going to set and glue the fairing if I can.

Attachments

• 20231122_135158.jpg
    20231122_135158.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 20231122_135201.jpg
    20231122_135201.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 34
Wow, that's one I've never seen broken before. How that happen?
You know how your fluid drops as your brake pads get used up? I was close to 6000 miles on the front pads and driving home from work. Two blocks from my house I finally get to lean the bike over at the two corners before arriving in front of my house where I trigger the garage door opener. I am just idling in 1st gear as I push the remote button and wait to see if the door starts to roll up. So far, so good right? I need a little bit of throttle to climb the driveway into the garage... so far so good, right? Well, that where the good ends... I engage the front brake and have none and go for the rear brake but its to late. I crash into some plastic crates on my left then hit my big roll away tool box that weighs about 800 lbs and push about 5 or 6 inches to the wall as I fall to my right side. It happens so fast it boggles my mind. I did manage to step off with my right leg so I didn't get pinned to the bar stool next to the work bench on my right. As I gather myself and feeling the shock of having gone down in my own garage my wife and son open the inside garage door and ask me if I am alright. Yes, just a slightly wounded ego!

Lesson learned? Keep an eye on that fluid and the pad wear with a mirror periodically and log it into the maintenance records. It didn't really take much fluid to top it off... maybe a teaspoons worth...

You know how your fluid drops as your brake pads get used up? I was close to 6000 miles on the front pads and driving home from work. ... I engage the front brake and have none and go for the rear brake but its to late.

Lesson learned? Keep an eye on that fluid and the pad wear with a mirror periodically and log it into the maintenance records. It didn't really take much fluid to top it off... maybe a teaspoons worth...
I can only go from my own experience and what would seem to make design sense to me, so forgive me for either being skeptical or not understanding what you are saying. Are you saying that the pads wore down so much that the fluid became too low in the reservoir to
operate the brakes? I would think that the reservoir just by design would hold enough fluid to press the pads as they wore down to the metal backing and still have enough to squeeze the metal backing plates into the disk.

So either I'm not understanding what you are saying (likely) or you have another problem with the front brake that is going to reoccur at sometime in the future only perhaps not in your garage but rather at an intersection where much higher speeds are involved and much more is at risk than plastic covers.

----------------------------------
I think any GEN II mirror will work for you (somebody jump in and correct me if I'm wrong on this! please!) as the part you need is the same color on all gen II c14s unless it was repainted. The problem is going to be finding one for sale for only the left side as from what I see most used ones are in pairs. good luck in the search for that. I realize that you don't need the whole mirror but finding that part by itself will be a problem I suspect. Also it might be easier to replace the whole mirror with a replacement and then change the bike matching painted cover with yours. It is easy to remove with plastic pry tools or even a couple of sharpened popsicle sticks. The key part to remember is that the matching painted covers come off in opposite the direction of travel of the bike, that is straight forward. If you try to pop them up in what intuitively seems the correct way (perpendicular to the center of the cover) then you'll most likely break the the upper plastic tabs at the top. If you do it with the mirrors on the bike then imagine that you are trying to take them off fighting the wind in forward motion and that should get you the correct angle. I see one currently for sale on eBay that should work, unfortunately the part that you really need is damaged. It looks better than yours does but it's got a couple of dents and a hole in the bottom.
Best wishes.

I can only go from my own experience and what would seem to make design sense to me, so forgive me for either being skeptical or not understanding what you are saying. Are you saying that the pads wore down so much that the fluid became too low in the reservoir to
operate the brakes? I would think that the reservoir just by design would hold enough fluid to press the pads as they wore down to the metal backing and still have enough to squeeze the metal backing plates into the disk.

So either I'm not understanding what you are saying (likely) or you have another problem with the front brake that is going to reoccur at sometime in the future only perhaps not in your garage but rather at an intersection where much higher speeds are involved and much more is at risk than plastic covers.

----------------------------------
I think any GEN II mirror will work for you (somebody jump in and correct me if I'm wrong on this! please!) as the part you need is the same color on all gen II c14s unless it was repainted. The problem is going to be finding one for sale for only the left side as from what I see most used ones are in pairs. good luck in the search for that. I realize that you don't need the whole mirror but finding that part by itself will be a problem I suspect. Also it might be easier to replace the whole mirror with a replacement and then change the bike matching painted cover with yours. It is easy to remove with plastic pry tools or even a couple of sharpened popsicle sticks. The key part to remember is that the matching painted covers come off in opposite the direction of travel of the bike, that is straight forward. If you try to pop them up in what intuitively seems the correct way (perpendicular to the center of the cover) then you'll most likely break the the upper plastic tabs at the top. If you do it with the mirrors on the bike then imagine that you are trying to take them off fighting the wind in forward motion and that should get you the correct angle. I see one currently for sale on eBay that should work, unfortunately the part that you really need is damaged. It looks better than yours does but it's got a couple of dents and a hole in the bottom.
Best wishes.
Thank you for that informative answer. I definitely will be paying attention and referring to the shop manual. I will keep my search for that part or order one from Kawasaki.

About the front master fluid level. Like I mentioned before... I just did 2 quick turns in the residential neighborhood and like to lean it over pretty good. I have no idea why I had no front brakes when entering the garage. I got the master cylinder very close to level on the center stand before taking the cover off. Upon inspection it appeared that the reservoir had plenty of fluid in it. I was able to add a little bit as I mentioned before.

I really don't know how to explain it except from what happened. I have been through several sets of brake pads and have bled the system completely recently. This Connie has about 62K on it and never was a problem before this time. Overall I find the braking system to be one of the best I have ever had the pleasure of using.

I did get down to metal on one pad a while back and never had a brake issue then except for the fear of it spitting a pad. As I write this it reminds me to check all the pads (8) and make sure they are all there... maybe I lost one. However, if I did I would hear it and see the surface damage on the brake rotor.

I checked all 8 pads and reversed them for the slight offset in the wear rate when comparing the thickness of the pads from one side of the caliper to the other. Everything looked good and a short test drive made sure they were working as required for good stopping power.