• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

10 Tips for safe riding

All solid points.  :great:

#9 is particularly important; a turn signal left on unintentionally (especially a right hand turn signal) can get you killed.  I have conditioned myself to hit the canceller as soon as I have made the turn, and often find myself flicking the button as I ride along "just in case".

Yep, caught myself today with a signal that had been on for a couple blocks  :-[ need to poke that cancel button as a habit

Hi,
      I liked the vid at # 10! ;D ;D ;D

Attachments

• suzuki-gsxr-nera-rosa-ragazza-sexy.jpg
    suzuki-gsxr-nera-rosa-ragazza-sexy.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 172
Solomookie said:

#9 is particularly important; a turn signal left on unintentionally (especially a right hand turn signal) can get you killed.  I have conditioned myself to hit the canceller as soon as I have made the turn, and often find myself flicking the button as I ride along "just in case".

^^^^^ :D  Me too...  I bet I push that cancel button 25 times in a 10 mile period...

Good read, thanks. 

I take the mind set that everyone driving is out to kill or maim me, and it is my highest priority to prevent it.

Their story will always be, "I didn't see him, it was just an accident, it was his fault!"

Preservation based on paranoia. :great:

Solomookie said:

I'm doing the same thing! I feel like a dipsh$t when I look down and the blinker has been on - for how long!  :-[

Not on the list...

Get some rider training.  CLASS, Cali superbike school, MSF, ect...any advanced rider education will help you become a better, safer rider.  After my first school, i went home wondering "how am i NOT dead after learning all that i didnt know about riding a motorcycle?"

now, after 5 different schools, i may not be an AMA champion, but i know i am an exponentially better pilot of my bike than i was beforehand.

education and training can be the key to living, living hurt, or not living at all.        :great:

I'll add a few others (very important):

1) Learn to anticipate the actions of other drivers. One can see developing situations that may occupy other drivers attention (merging traffic for instance). They may be focused on something going on in their environment that they need to pay attention to and not be aware of your position (or even existence).

I have found that I can almost predict when a car is going to change lanes before the driver even knows it based on an evolving traffic situation. Slowing traffic up ahead that is obviously not seen by the driver in the next lane will mean they can react in unpredictable ways (or predictable if you have studied traffic dynamics long enough).

2) Stay ahead of the game at all times and be surprised by nothing. Full radar all the time, no daydreaming.

3) Become as good an expert at the capabilities of your motorcycle (braking, handling, power, avoidance maneuvers, etc.) as you can possibly be and practice often to develop lightning quick reactions to sudden dangers.

Dan

Bergmen said:
1) Learn to anticipate the actions of other drivers. One can see developing situations that may occupy other drivers attention (merging traffic for instance).
I have found that I can almost predict when a car is going to change lanes before the driver even knows it based on an evolving traffic situation.

I'll take Dan's suggestion one step further - don't just anticipate what other drivers may do based on traffic patterns... watch for what a driver is thinking of doing.  What do I mean? Look into the other vehicle, either through the windows or in the mirror. Watch for telltale head movement, a change in hand position on the steering wheel, a movement of the steering wheel.

Example:  A driver will often look at the inside rear view mirror before looking at their side mirror while starting to turn the steering wheel (I don't know why people do that, but once you start looking for it you will see it just about every time)

Also, watch the front wheel - you'll see it moving in your direction before it becomes obvious the vehicle has gotten closer.

Of course if you live in Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, etc. where people put limo tint on their front windows, well, just don't trust them, period. If I can't see them, I presume they don't care about seeing me.

JPavlis_CA said:
1) Learn to anticipate the actions of other drivers. One can see developing situations that may occupy other drivers attention (merging traffic for instance).
I have found that I can almost predict when a car is going to change lanes before the driver even knows it based on an evolving traffic situation.

I'll take Dan's suggestion one step further - don't just anticipate what other drivers may do based on traffic patterns... watch for what a driver is thinking of doing.  What do I mean? Look into the other vehicle, either through the windows or in the mirror. Watch for telltale head movement, a change in hand position on the steering wheel, a movement of the steering wheel.

[/quote]

We teach this mental skill under the acronym of S.I.P.D.E.
Within a generous 20 second visual lead and then the immediate 10 second visual lead

SCAN -          Aggressively search for critical information
IDENTIFY -    The hazards from worse case scenario to least and attempt to find them all within your visual lead
PREDICT-      This is the "What IF" stage. Basically predict there will be a collision if you do nothing. Predict what they are going to do. In other words "Anticipate!"
DECIDE -      You have three choices.
                    1) Adjust your speed - faster or slower. Brake, downshift, throttle down, throttle up, etc.
                    2) Adjust your position - Move left, right or stay straight another words "MOVE"
                      3) Communicate. EG: Use your high beams, brake lights, horn (but don't rely on these)
                    Deciding on not doing anything is always a bad decision.  And of course you are in motion so a decision needs to be made quickly.
                    You can use all three or one, or two in any order based on the scenarios(s).  But remember "DO SOMETHING"

And Finally!

EXECUTE-      Make the move(s) you decided to do. If you are thorough in the top four you will (with practice) have a much better chance of avoiding a situation

Remember to keep your head and eyes up level with the horizon. TURN YOUR HEAD!  before you enter any curve! And stay on the wheels! You always have a choice, remember to make it and take it.  :great: