• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

1000 miles on my new Connie! - Some Observations

bneedles

Training Wheels
Well, I just clicked over 1000 miles on my new Connie in about two weeks. Here are some observations and questions:
1. I love this bike! It is so smooth and quiet and powerful. I keep looking down and I think I am going about 70 and it is closer to 90!
2. I added risers and it is much more comfortable
3. I noticed some wrist pain after about 200 miles and just received my wedges to install
4. It seems the stock seat is angled forward, I always feel like I am leaning on the handlebars. I need to explore seat options. I ride solo 100% of the time, any suggestions?
5. I am running medium grade unleaded. Is anyone running regular? I run regular in my Navigator which wants premium with no problems.
6. I want to change to a softer more comfortable grip. What are my options with modifying the factory heated grips?
7. Did I mention I love this bike!

Well first of all you must be lucky to be on the south enough to still ride comfortable here in slc its barely above freeze level anyway if you have wrist pain after 200 miles you need more practice or a throttle miser or throttle lock or more practice I usually can ride 500 miles no problem
As far as the seat goes I still think you need a different but or what I did was had my seat re made locally for less than $200 ever with an addition of a seat heater
About fuel I can only run premium fuel without knock because in slc we have 85,87,91 octane gas if I use anything other than 91 that motor is not happy
I love the bike also I think the grip is fine get used to it

Congratulations on your new Connie - they're great bikes!

Bill said:
2. I added risers and it is much more comfortable
3. I noticed some wrist pain after about 200 miles and just received my wedges to install
4. It seems the stock seat is angled forward, I always feel like I am leaning on the handlebars. I need to explore seat options. I ride solo 100% of the time, any suggestions?

I had a problem with that at first.  My wrists would hurt, my hands would go numb, and it took me a while to realize that I was no longer leaning back to ride, the way I did on my Honda Shadow VT1100.  What worked for me was to start using my abs to hold myself up a bit.  It balances the arms/torso/legs thing and spreads out the stress to the point where it's actually a lot MORE comfortable than any other bike I've ridden.

Mine is a C10 rather than a C14, but I suspect the principle is exactly the same.  Tighten those abs and use them to support yourself.  It'll not only take strain off your arms and legs, but it'll make small adjustments a lot more natural.

Bill said:
6. I want to change to a softer more comfortable grip. What are my options with modifying the factory heated grips?

I wrapped mine with cork tape from a bicycle shop.  The warmth of the grips comes right through, and it's infinitely adjustable by wrapping it different ways.  The stuff comes packaged two rolls to a box for about ten bucks.  It takes half a roll (or less) to wrap each grip.  I like big fat grips, so I use a half roll.  I hold down the loose end with black electrical tape and at first I adjusted it quite often to get it where I liked it.

It makes a huge difference, is (at least for me) amazingly comfortable, doesn't require changing any hardware on the bike, and only costs ten bucks!

A lot of these things are a personal choice for different reasons. What works for one, might not work for the next person. There are many threads answering a lot of similar questions out there. I suggest trying different wordings in the search feature. Or just start reading threads. I bet you could be reading for a while. It's not that I don't want to answer your questions. But they have been answered over and over again. So using the search feature or just reading threads will yield lots of useful information and opinions on certain things.
      My point being that I liked my Corbin seat. Others hate it. Some like Russell, but I haven't sat on a Russell that I have liked. Folks have already went through the OEM heated grip issues, what fuel, seat, wrist pain and a host of other issues. Just start reading threads and you read all sorts of ideas and things that you might not have thought about with the bike. The C14 has three sections here. There are lots of threads in each section. How much time do you have on your hands.

I have Grip Puppies on my C-14 and my Goldwing. Very popular after market grips and comfortable without hindering heat from the heated grips.

I like my Rick Mayer seat very much.

It takes time for your body to get used to a different motorcycle. What hurts in the first 1000 might not after 2500. Death grip on the bars due to the new angle might play hell on the forearms. You might find yourself riding up the seat at first also. Hand pain from the different clutch. I think a lot of people change things too early before there body adapts to the bike. I hated my stock seat at first. I would ride up the tank and be very uncomfortable. Now I wouldn't change it. My left forearm hurt after just about every ride until I realized I was gripping to hard. Muscles need to adjust to the new position and weight transfer. Even getting on and off the bike is different now.

As far as the octane use, if I am interstating it down the four lane I will use 87 octane. Locally I use the 89.
If you plan on staying below 5000 rpm on a trip, use 87.
But if you think about it we are only talking about 10 cents a gallon or say $ .50 a tank full

Rash

I always used 91 or better (if possible). I just wasn't willing to take chances on my bikes motor, just to save a few cents a gallon. Or as pointed out. Maybe 50 cents for a tank full.

Cap'n Bob said:
I always used 91 or better (if possible). I just wasn't willing to take chances on my bikes motor, just to save a few cents a gallon. Or as pointed out. Maybe 50 cents for a tank full.

+1000

Also, I try to stay away from ethanol when possible. 

I'm on my 4th seat. stock 09 was terrible, bought a Sargent Low, it was just as bad, got a seat from a 2010 and it was a lot better than the 09 but the only thing that supposedly changed was the cover. Now I have a Baldwin and it is the best yet, not the one I will stay with because it's just to hard (I'm used to a soft seat on a Goldwing)
I use grip puppies over the stock grips, works great.
http://www.casporttouring.com/cst/motorcycles/GRIPPUP.html
I have a throttle lock (not a cruise control) and it helps to when I need to get my hands off the handle bar for a minute.

I have this mod(" http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php" ) done to my stock seat thaalways pusme against the tank and after that is more confortable and no more push, about the wrist and hands numbness i had the same problem after 15 miles when first start riding this bike  10 months ago  and now i'm able to ride 100 miles continuously with no problem, something that help a lot are the Murphs  wedges " http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=466[/url]",. for the grips i use the grip puppies "http://www.casporttouring.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=CST&Category_Code=GRIPPUP " i use only 93 octanes, i rode this 09 connie 10 K in the last 10 months and very happy with it

I always run 89 octaine in my ZX14, but on some trips where a gas stop had 87 and 91, I dropped to 87 and it still ran great.

I'm 6'2" and 220lbs if that helps. Ride solo mostly but two up a little with the SO.

I added wedges after about 6months and loved them, but removed them late last year before a trackday to see what the difference might be. Don't think I noticed a big diff in handled, will add back before the new season.

My wife and I noticed the seat leaning forward, or more the fact that our pelvis's felt like they were rolling forward. Sent the seat off to Spencers and have been very happy every since. A few 300miles day proved the small investment was worth it.