• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

110-80-18 okay for 2005?

Dave_stark

Big Wheel
Hi All, On a recent tour I had to replace the front tire on my '05 Connie, and all that was available at the time was a D205 in 110/80 18. I was happy to get the tire given the circumstances, but it's a bit different profile and than the 120/70 18 that's supposed to be used. Any concerns about sticking with this tire? I got the rear too (correct size) and I must say that the bike rides really well! Thanks for any advice. Dave

Personally I say its ok. There are a number of people on the COG forum that are running the 110 size on a '94 and up Connie. From a fitment point of view, its more interesting. The Connie has a 3.0" front wheel. The Stock size 120/70 D205 is designed for a 3.5" wheel. The Connie's wheel is actually too small for the tire, even though the tire is the stock size. The 110 tires are designed for a 3.0" wheel. So even though its not the stock size, it is a proper fit for the wheel width. 2003 Concours, 56K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Note the Dunlop K701 radial tire is designed for a 3.0" wheel just like the Connie has. These are more like the stock OEM Dunlops most people dislike. These are designed to fit the Connie wheel in the stock size. Of course these are not the most fun. Stuff like the Z rated performance radials offer better traction and handling. But all the ones I have checked the tire spec's on, like D205's or Avons, are designed for a 3.5" wheel which the Connie does not have. Having said that, of course there are a ton of Connies all out there riding on Avons and D205 in the stock size 120/70 and are getting along just fine. 2003 Concours, 56K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Thanks Slybones, I'll keep them on for the duration (I'm not sure I wouldn't stick with the 110/80 size in the future based on your fitment discussion; plus, the bike seems to handle really well). I enjoyed reading your website and noticed that you have D205s as well. I assume you run the 120/70 size? As far as tire pressure, do you run what's recommended in the owners manual or something different? I've heard about cupping issues with the D205s and wanted to make sure I was running the right tire pressure. Thanks again, Dave

Dave, As you have noted; "the bike seems to handle really well" That says it all about going to the smaller sizing on the front. IMHO, you'll be able to ride this combo to the wear bars w/ no ill effect. Just keep the tire pressure to 40-42psi to keep the notorious Dunlop cupping syndrome to a minimum. Good luck..... -Dean Westermann- Southgate, Mich

Yes I am running the D205's in stock size, 120/70 on the front. And use the tire pressure listed in the manual. I have not had them long enough to have personal experience with cupping. Last two sets of tires were Wing Size tires. On cupping I have read that cupping can have a lot to do with riding style. Air pressure may offset that some, but some reports from COG members are so can changing your riding style. But at the same time I keep thinking about the people who dont change riding style and change tires brands instead and no longer have cupping problems. So this makes me think there must be something to the tire design as well. 2003 Concours, 56K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg