• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

15,000 mile service

ronski

Training Wheels
coming up on 15,000 miles on my 2010.

My local dealer wants $800+ parts for the service and valve check.

Is there any reason I should not have a non-dealer shop do the job instead?
They have done great work on tire changes in the past for me...

The question is if you feel that you can trust them to actually do the job and do it correctly. If the answer is yes. Then I see no reason why not.

The GTR1400 (European model) doesn't require valve service until 26,000 miles -- same bike, longer interval -- why do it now?  I waited and the valves were barely out of spec.  Just more EPA nonsense.......

Zedhed said:
The GTR1400 (European model) doesn't require valve service until 26,000 miles -- same bike, longer interval -- why do it now?  I waited and the valves were barely out of spec.  Just more EPA nonsense.......

Hypothetically, what if the top end detonates at 22,000 miles. And you have no proof that the valve check was performed. Kawasaki probably won't cover it. And yes only because the specs say that the US and CA bikes need to be done every 15,000. Is it worth the gamble? Maybe, maybe not. I personally follow the maintenance requirements while under warranty. Personally I would hate to eat the cost of warranty work if I don't have to. Of course this is just my opinion.

$800 + parts?!  That sounds very high to me.  Maybe you can find a leak from your valve cover gasket and have them replace it under warranty and they should cut you a deal on labor like my dealer did.  I walked out after having everything done for $250 since a large portion of the labor cost is actually getting the in to the cams.

unfortunately this particular dealer is known for high prices-- $16.95/quart for Mobil 1 full synthetic oil etc...
They even refused to come off of MSRP on a 2007 Honda ST1300 that they had sitting in the showroom for TWO years, even though I was ready to buy....[shrug]

The other shop is an independent, and a well run place-- When I took my wheels in for new rubber, they were in the middle of a whole-shop cleanup! They still got my tires done in a couple of hours!

Jeremy said:
$800 + parts?!  That sounds very high to me.  Maybe you can find a leak from your valve cover gasket and have them replace it under warranty and they should cut you a deal on labor like my dealer did.  I walked out after having everything done for $250 since a large portion of the labor cost is actually getting the in to the cams.

Cap'n Bob said:
Zedhed said:

Hypothetically, what if the top end detonates at 22,000 miles. And you have no proof that the valve check was performed. Kawasaki probably won't cover it. And yes only because the specs say that the US and CA bikes need to be done every 15,000. Is it worth the gamble? Maybe, maybe not. I personally follow the maintenance requirements while under warranty. Personally I would hate to eat the cost of warranty work if I don't have to. Of course this is just my opinion.

Yeah, the engine will "grenade" if you don't check the valves -- just keep on following them factory recommendations Bob -- the dealer service depts are made for guys just like you !!  Why bother readin' these forums when you got the factory manual to read and follow  :-[

Zedhed said:
Cap'n Bob said:
Zedhed said:

Yeah, the engine will "grenade" if you don't check the valves -- just keep on following them factory recommendations Bob -- the dealer service depts are made for guys just like you !!  Why bother readin' these forums when you got the factory manual to read and follow  :-[

Yes I will follow the service manual instrutions on performing valve clearance checks at the instructed intervals. It's my preference to try to follow things to help keep my warranty intact.  What I don't understand is why is it that because I follow this, that it seems to upset you. Who ever said that the dealer service department does my work? It seems that you just assume things. Without knowing the facts before you try to belittle people who do not have the same opinion as yours!
Your not following the recommended interval for valve clearance checks is your business and I wish you no harm in doing what you feel is right for you and your bike. Once again that is your business. But I do take exception to, is if you suggest to people in ignoring the intervals for valve clearence checks or other service on US and CA C14's that Kawasaki has set for the C14 in said markets. It is irresponsible to suggest people to ignore such information. You can do what you feel is right for you and your bike and say why. That of course is your opinion. But I draw the line when or if you suggest  to people that they ignore the service manuals recommendations for their bikes. That will not be tolerated in that way.
Just to be clear. I am not trying to be arrogant. There is already enough of that going around. What I am doing is telling you that this site allows for opinions. But it does not give anyone the right to tell others to go against any of the parameters Kawasaki sets for the safe operation and maintenance of the Kawasaki Concours/GTR or Concours14/GTR1400.
Hopefully we can just move on now and let this be, OK.

To get back to the original question, those that have had a dealer do the 15,000 mile service, what did you pay. I think my dealer said about $400.00 + parts but that was a year ago when I bought my bike so I really don't remember. I'll have to call and ask. I will be having it done in another 3500 miles.