• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

17" Wheel conversion test ride report

jim snyder

Well the Silverbullet rolled out of the shop today with her new 17" wheels and tires and got to go on a shakedown run.
First off the ride comfort felt much improved. Didn't get to do any real curves yet but the few I did go around were very enjoyable. A note to future 17" converters. The ZR-7 speedometer drive works great. I checked it against my GPS and it was spot on. So there is another choice besides the ZX-6 speedo drive. Front braking is way better with the smaller and lighter front wheel and tire. If I had the nerve I think I could do a front stoppie with these ZX-10 calipers.
The new ZX-6 fender looks great also. The paint shop did a super job matching the color. The 160/70-17 rear tire was slightly taller than the stock tire so now I am cruising 70 MPH at about 3,850 rpm rather than 4,000 rpm as before. All in all I am tickled with the end result. I can't wait to throw this thing into some Arkansas twisties and really give it a good workout. Thanks again to everyone who's brain I picked for info on this project.   

Attachments

• thumbnail_20170222_163344_resized[1].jpg
    thumbnail_20170222_163344_resized[1].jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 141
Congrats Jim.

I know you have a 7th gear unit and the 17" wheels on your bike.
What would the RPM's be on a stock Connie at 70?

I also know you had belted tires previously. Are the 17" tires Radials?

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Congrats Jim.

I know you have a 7th gear unit and the 17" wheels on your bike.
What would the RPM's be on a stock Connie at 70?

I also know you had belted tires previously. Are the 17" tires Radials?

Ride safe, Ted

A stock C-10 without 7 gear unit will turn about 4,200 rpm at 70 mph. And yes the new tires are Radials, Metzler Roadtec Z6's.