• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

190/50 vs 190/55 rear tire on ABS Bikes

jrmotha

I am going to try the 190/55 size tire on the concours because of its claimed better cornering.  However I was glancing through the owners manual and of coarse it says only use stock tires because different size tires rotate at different rpm's and can confuse the ABS/K-Tract system.  Has anyone tried it and have good luck?  I'm thinking its such a small difference it won't matter but just thought I would through it out there.

You'll have less tire contact patch while leaned over but more while straight up. Not really the ideal scenario for performance unless you spend most of your time at the dragstrip.

I'm not so sure it'd have a noticeable effect as far as contact patch, but I'd imagine it'd slow down the steering a bit.  Besides, with such excellent tires available from Pirelli, Michelin, etc, why would you go with Avons?

1882 said:
You'll have less tire contact patch while leaned over but more while straight up. Not really the ideal scenario for performance unless you spend most of your time at the dragstrip.

Was that in reference to the 200/50 or the 190/55?

Just put the 190/55 PR3 (pair)  on and went to Big Bend last weekend.

Unbelievable grip and confidence with the PR3 tires. I was really able to drive hard out of the corners and while before I could come back to the room in Alpine with no CS or PR2, I had about 3/8" on the 190/55 PR3.

I will definitely use this configuration going forward. ;D

Craig

I just can't see any less contact patch at any angle with the 200  :-\  ...It is a massive tire to say the least.  8)..  I do hope Michelin has improved their motorcycle tires since I had a pair on my ST1100 back in the mid 90's They were without a doubt the worst tire I have ever purchased.. A health hazard as the front end wobbled at high speeds...NOT the ST's fault as it handled great with other tires on board.  Michelin makes a good tire for cars though.
A lot of people here seem to be allergic to Avon procducts.,But I have only received excellent service from all the Avon tires going back to the ST1100 (after the Michelins were removed)  and then with the Valkyrie. (Venoms)..
As soon as the Battleaxes are replaced with the Avons I report on the 200 series...for now only speculation... :-* :D 

Just had a new rear tire replaced by  my dealer, they decided to replace my 50 pr2 with a 55. Now I want to know if they charged me extra for the tire since they made the decision to change the tire size, and yes they had the correct size in house. Guess I will wait until tomorrow to find out since they are closed today.

55 pr3's. love 'em. Bike drops in on rails and stands back up when you want. Minimum counter steer in the corners req'd. Won't go back. :)