• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2009 National, FVR

JohnC

Street Cruiser
Coggers abd folks: I just updated the room count at the resort, not much left to pick from. You might want to grab the two rooms mentioned in an earlier message here as there are only 3 rooms left at the lodge. Got some cabins, but they too are being taken up. Acutally, I am there now, working on some of the details for the rally, then it is back to Jawja. I'd prefer to stay as I found a lot more to explore. :) Now for the flat-landers, I drove up this time and did notice an item, prepare for your ears to pop a lot. You are either going up, or down, and always in a curve. Oh, I did find another way to the resort, but I doubt anyone taking it. I drove almost 4 miles of it and I doubt I averaged 20 mph. It is narrow, rough, steep, very curvy, and I didn't see one soul going or coming. So line up a riding buddy, better to be safe than sorry. tcars, John, Rallymeister 2009

Oh, John. You're such a tease!! Eddie 2005 Concours 1969 Triumph Bonneville AMA# 686667 COG# 7073 CDA# 0136 http://picasaweb.google.com/Eddie753

Eddie: No joke, do get a riding buddy or two. I drove for 8 miles and didn't see another vehicle not person. Now as for the curves, well, there ain't no straight roads up here. Yes, I am there now. :) Once you get off 74 onto 28, it is a nice 4 lane for awhile, then it drops to 2 lane and on into Stecoah. Now after that, hwy 143 comes in on the left. After that, the road signs are 35-40 mph until you get to the dam. After the dam, that drops to 15-25 mph for the last mile. I have you a route that may cure you of curves, I know it made me think twice on doing it again. But I did do it again. :) I clue you in later. ttyl, tcars John

John, I believe I know the road of which you speak. It's on the dual sport ride! Connies and Cars beware!

Ken: The one to Fontana Heights and beyond? You might get a connie through it, but it won't be me. BTW, I have a DS now and I'll spend most of my time on it. I did hear a story about a semi driver who tried it, but gave up as he thought he had gone to truck driver's hell. tcars John, catchin up

WOW BOOK THEM ROOMS FOLKS!!! I just got in under the wire, got my room....not much left, better get 'em quick!!!
2550418850015463693SQtyXF_th.jpg
2897924420015463693CnEofH_th.jpg
Rich Riczinger COG 5977 JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Hey John you ended your opening message with "better safe then sorry" Don't you rally mean "better safe then missing?" :8o: Dave Muzzey St. Charles, IL COG#7957 '01 Connie
2325745050103317432S200x200Q85.jpg
2525116280103317432S200x200Q85.jpg

John, Yes the road to Fontana Heights becomes Old Field Gap Road. Lots of fun on a DR-Z400, no fun on a C10. That's how the dual sport ride leaves and returns to The Hellbender Pit Stop (Cold Beer at the end of the run). SIGN UP PEOPLE!!!

Dave: You are most correct, "Better be safe than missing!". One could drop off the earth there and not be found for quite some time, if ever. Ken: I've looked at the maps and there is a good possibility I could just disappear for the entire event, as there are that many DS roads one can explore. I've ridden most of the paved roads numerous times, so what time I am free I will go where I've not been before. :) tcars John