• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2009 vs. 2010 C14

2bazookas

Big Wheel
I was considering the 2009 C14 until I read about the changes made to the 2010. Are the issues with the 2009's 1) mirrors, 2) heat at a stand still and low speeds, 3) stability issues due to the tires and 4) the front supension (I'm not sure exactly about the front suspension. I believe they stated something about changing the fork oil and maybe different valving) really that big a deal? Enough to make you want to trade the machine in for a 2010 or perhaps for something different all together? My next purchase is budgeted to around 10k to 11K and if the consensus is to go with the 2010 I would need to wait until 2011 for the purchase. Also, given that the C14's engine is fairly new how has it performed for those that have, if there are any of you high mileage riders out there, in excess of 40 or 50k miles? For example, valve adjustments, drive trane issues or transmission problems. Input on the issues noted above would be appreciated. Thanks again for your time.

1) Mirrors are not that big of a deal, they are 40 mm (1.57 in) higher on the 2010, but I am 6'2" with 33" inseam, so I have no problems. 2) Some owners of the '09 say the heat is no issue, some say it is unbearable. I have an '09 with 14,000 miles with no heat issues. I live in Atlanta and rode it in rush hour traffic this summer with no problems. 3) Stability issues? None... This is the most stable bike I have ever ridden. Crosswinds, behind a semi, not a waver. 150 mph with full bags, a trunk and a larger windscreen, steady as a rock. The stock tires have an issue with short lifespan and cupping, I think they are not made for the weight of the bike. Put on PR2s or pretty much any aftermarket tire and you will be happy. My 021s lasted 3500 miles, I am going on 10,000 miles on my first set of PR2s. 4) If you are planning on track days each month, the forks will need work. If commuting and doing occasional twisties, no changes needed. Let me add that you cannot (well, probably should not) modify the 2010 as much as the '09 with pulling the flies and freeing up the low rpm torque because of the Traction Control that uses the secondary butterflies. I have an AreaP full exhaust, Flies pulled, Power Commander V. I have a dyno before mods of 137hp and after 158hp. Heated grips, don't need em, linked brakes, don't like em, traction control, never needed it 2010 is $4000-$5000 more than a 2009? I can buy a lot of farkles for that.

Stay within your budget, don't waste another year, buy the 09. As for as high mileage bikes, there are some out there in the 40k,50k and over the 60k mark. Have heard of no serious problems I had my valves check a 15k and the dealer told me I should have waited until 25k. Get the 09 and join the rest of us that can't get the smile off our face.

I don't know if the price difference would justify the additions of traction control etc. If you are planning on making modifications to FI mapping etc., remember that more technology limits the amounts of changes you can make. At least until a work around has been developed. I would think that with the money saved by buying the "old" c14 you could have everything set up as you wish.

Thanks to all for the input. My gut feeling was going to be with the 2009. I don't need the traction control. Never had it and I never felt I needed something to help with traction. I kind of enjoyed breaking the back end loose every now and then anyway; especially on my goldwing while driving home on the dirt gravel roads. I'm 6 feet tall so I won't worry about the mirrors. The tires I assumed could be corrected with a different set. Heated hand grips, well, I road my wing regularly in temperatures down in the 20's and 30's regularly and my hands were fine with out heated grips. However, reducing the bulk of the glove would have been nice to aide in dexterity. I'm good without them. Anyway, thanks for the intel. I will use this in making my decision. I have been comparing the Honda ST1300 with the C14. Both seem to be fine machines. The differences in performance and appearances are obvious. I am a bit concerned with the MPG of the C14, however. What is the average MPG that you guys are getting? The ST1300 is in the 40's. Thanks! ""

As to the mirrors, having test rode a '09 C-14. I coulnd't stand not being able to see directly behind me. I also felt more wind directly on my hands on the 14, esp. vs. the C-10. Was told by the Kawasaki rep leading the test ride, with all the horsepower, didn't need to see behind me, I saw, what about blue lights, don't need to gun and go with them back there. There are adapters available to raise the mirrors on the 08-09, so that may help as well. I am also 6'2 and would have loved a taller shield to reduce the wind buffetting. Someday I will upgrade, but right now will have to stay with my 06 C-10.

The Mileage stock was mid 30's, but after my exhaust mods and PC-V, I am now getting around 39-40. I forgot about the 2010 and its Economy mode, people have said almost 50 mpg with it engaged. I don't understand the issue with the mirrors on the 08/09, maybe the bottom 1/5 of the mirrors you see the bags, but you certainly can see what is behind you.

In the winter I average aroune 40 to 41mpg. In the summer this goes up 3 or 4 mpg. Since a Fla trip this past Sept my average is 41.2mpg. The only time I drop into the high 30s is when the temp is below 30. Hope this helps.

Greetings... Just traded a ST1300 for the 2010 C14 so these observations might be helpful. Why did I make the change? I wanted ABS and 'smart' brakes. Cost me a bundle but no regrets. I am an older guy, will be riding years longer, and want all of the technology I can get on my side. The brakes are really good (for me) especially when riding 2 up. The C14 is also, I think, a very stable bike on the highway. Also liking the traction control. Good luck, it is a fine machine

Speedwgn, I have a 2004 ST1300, and the 2010 C14 interested me with the improvements to the heat dissipation and the wind protection. Can you compare the ST you replaced with that C14? I love my ST, but I'm considering something newer in the next year or two, would be very interested to hear your feedback since you have owned both. I was very impressed with the upgrades I saw from the 09 to the 2010 C14. Remember that in this market the 2010 will be a leftover bike soon enough. I'd agree that I might not wait a whole year to get the bike if I wanted one now. I might buy the 2009 and if I didn't like it so much sell it in a year and get the 2010.

Greetings Patentcad, Yes, I have owned both and will offer the answers as best I can. Should say that I liked my ST a lot, truly a fine bike. The heat issue I just can't say as the weather has been chilly to date. The C14 has a monster radiator, bigger than previous years I understand. The motor gets hot but whether or not that will come to me as the rider I just can't tell given this time of year. The wind management is superior on the ST, that is to say there is more quiet air around the rider. The C14 offers smooth air, little or no buffeting, but more of it. A related issue for me, riding on the southern plains, is how the bike behaves in crosswinds. The big Kawa is noticeably more stable and handles terrific at speed. I believe others have experienced the stability and have commented. I am an older rider and find the C14 easier to handle. I suspect that is simply due to a more modern chassis design and the sportbike heritage of this machine. Hope this is helpful.. good luck