• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2012 black passenger grab rails installed!

zg

I ordered up a set of the 2012 passenger grab rails because they're black and I thought they'd look better, they arrived today.

I pulled off my rear seat (Smuggler actually) and it looks like I can't get to all the bolts that hold the rails to the bike? Do I really need to remove the whole tail??  :017:
mad.gif

Help me please brutha's, thanks!  :beerchug:

IMG00550-20110921-1405.jpg

IMG00552-20110921-1439.jpg

As I recall, you need to remove the tail plastic above the tail light, and loosen both colored plastic side pieces enough (possibly remove) to get to the side bolts.  Oh yes, and remove that crappy stock plastic rack (what's that doing in your pic anyway??).

The rear center bolts are just above the tail light wires, which are visible with the plastic tail cover removed.

So is the finish of the black grab rails painted like the silver ones, or unpainted?  I noticed that when you scratch the silver ones, they are black underneath.  That made me wonder if a little gentle glass beading might easily turn silver ones into decent looking black ones.

C1xRider said:
As I recall, you need to remove the tail plastic above the tail light, and loosen both colored plastic side pieces enough (possibly remove) to get to the side bolts.  Oh yes, and remove that crappy stock plastic rack (what's that doing in your pic anyway??).

The rear center bolts are just above the tail light wires, which are visible with the plastic tail cover removed.

So is the finish of the black grab rails painted like the silver ones, or unpainted?  I noticed that when you scratch the silver ones, they are black underneath.  That made me wonder if a little gentle glass beading might easily turn silver ones into decent looking black ones.

Hahaha...
I sent my Phils rack to Phil last week, he's doing some custom mods to it to move it about 1/4" backwards, with my new Corbin Smuggler trunk it wouldn't clear enough. Luckily I hadn't tossed out this POS stock plastic rack, I'm just rocking it until my Phils rack comes back.

Thanks for your help on the rail removal, I'll give that a try...

Finished!  :beerchug:

IMG00567-20110921-1848.jpg

IMG00563-20110921-1847.jpg

IMG00565-20110921-1847.jpg

IMG00564-20110921-1847.jpg

Hey Cap'n, can you move this thread over to the farkle section now for me, thanks bro!  :beerchug:

ZG said:

{where pictures were}

Hey Cap'n, can you move this thread over to the farkle section now for me, thanks bro!  :beerchug:

OK, I'll move if you would like. Technically it's not really a farkle being an OEM part. But I can see how it can be viewed as a farkle. It looks great on your bike.

Looks great ZG!!

Can you get us a photo from a little farther away so we see how it all blends??  It really looks sharp though!!!  8)

Clinton said:
Looks great ZG!!

Can you get us a photo from a little farther away so we see how it all blends??  It really looks sharp though!!!  8)

Thanks Clinton!  :beerchug:

I'll take some more pics from further away and post them up.

Cap'n Bob said:
ZG said:

{where pictures were}

OK, I'll move if you would like. Technically it's not really a farkle being an OEM part. But I can see how it can be viewed as a farkle. It looks great on your bike.

Thanks Cap'n!  :beerchug:

ZG said:
Clinton said:
Looks great ZG!!

Thanks Clinton!  :beerchug:

I'll take some more pics from further away and post them up.

Dont sweat it ZG.  I found some in the "Pic's Thread".  Looks really good!  Probably not too many more out there that look like that either!!  Nice Work!!

8)