• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2012 Ky Daniel Boone National Forest Ride August 24-26

dreambike

Training Wheels
Ride headquarters will be at Abner's Motel in Stanton, Ky and I have held the same block of rooms this year.  All the rooms are non-smoking, two double beds and include fridgerater/microwave.  Please reserve your room in advance, rooms will be released second week of August.  Abner's cancellation policy: let them know within 24 hours of check in and there is no charge.  Credit card info is required to hold the room but will not be charged until check in.  There is a discount rate of $55.00 per night.  Bring a friend and split the cost.  You must tell them you are with the COG RIDE to get the correct rooms or if you are a smoker there are smoking rooms available.  Smoking rooms are also discounted.  Here is a link to their website. 

http://lilabnermotel.com/Abnersinstanton.html

There are no fees, t-shirts or provided meals for this event.  Speaking of food, Abner's is within walking distance to several good restaurants.  That's usually where we gather to eat each night and I'm sure they appreciate the business.  There is a local drag strip five minutes away, drive-in theatre two minutes away, rappelling, guided rock climbs and several other attractions which are listed on the motel link above. 

For those of you who have not attended, I will have some homemade maps of the area that have all the good stuff marked.  You can create your own adventure or join up with other attendees, either way you just can't go wrong with this area.  Myself and a few others will be showing up Thursday evening and ready to ride Friday morning. 

Thanks to everyone who attended last year and I hope to see you again this year.  Larry, KyAAD

I will be there!  I may also bring up a newbie to the COG group, we'll see.  I am looking forward to it again this year and hope our turnout is as good as last year.

laker9142 said:
I plan to be there, next year may be a problem though.

David

So you are going to the national next year.  This could be a problem, I was thinking something special for the fifth year.  I would hate to see ya miss it.  We'll see how the dates fall.........

Looks like we have some interest from the southeast area.  Brian comes up from Atlanta and really likes it.  Temps are usually perfect the last week of August.  I hope you guys can make it up.  :beerchug:

By chance is anyone from Lexington going on this ride? I'd like to join in<

Please let me know and we'll go from there.

Thanks

Thore

Just got a call today from Abner's.  Another group needs rooms and no one has reserved for the Ky ride so are rooms are no longer available after today.  Call today July 5 to save a room for the ride or most likely they will be gone.  Thanks.

Nah, surely they won't all be gone... But, I did get my room reserved!!  And I asked about sending corn hole boards up there that week as well for our first annual COG KY Tournament!  So, who is ready to throw some bean bags around during the evening?  Nothing like a little intoxicated, fun competition after a full day of riding!  What do you all think?

Ok, maybe I should have called it "bean bag toss" as it is labeled in the local Target store...  We have always referred to it as corn hole, but it seems I may have scared off a few posts since my last one!  :)  That was pretty funny since we are talking about Eastern KY!  Just joking!  I hope to find a good turnout of COG people at this get together, it is a good time!  Post up and let us know who all is planning to attend!

Can't say for sure but I'm very interested in this ride. Friend of mine lives down the road near London and I would like to combine this ride with a visit.
Moto2wheelin said:
Ok, maybe I should have called it "bean bag toss" as it is labeled in the local Target store...  We have always referred to it as corn hole, but it seems I may have scared off a few posts since my last one!  :)  That was pretty funny since we are talking about Eastern KY!  Just joking!  I hope to find a good turnout of COG people at this get together, it is a good time!  Post up and let us know who all is planning to attend!
You might want to be careful with the ky jokes or you just might end up with the wrong crowd  :D

dreambike said:
I'll be there!  I'm from Ky and I'll throw some corn hole, loser serves cold frosty ones.
That's better than " spread the jelly sucker " no pun intended  :rotflmao:

turbojim said:
Can't say for sure but I'm very interested in this ride. Friend of mine lives down the road near London and I would like to combine this ride with a visit.
Moto2wheelin said:
You might want to be careful with the ky jokes or you just might end up with the wrong crowd  :D

Yea, pretty funny huh!  I grew up and lived in Bowling Green for 32 years.  I love the place and that is one reason I work so hard to make sure we keep this ride going!  :))

It appears that I will be unable to attend (AGAIN!). Drat. :'(  Y'all have a great time and stay safe. :beerchug:

I'm planning on being there. I hope to Bring Don my BMW riding bud and maybe a few new ones. I'll check on the room situation and post here my findings.

Glad to hear you are making it back.  Tell Don he will have bmw company if he shows up.  There are fours rooms left in our block, said they would hold them til middle of August. 

I'm going to have to come down on Thursday and leave Saturday for my 30 year HS reunion. If I hadn't already paid them, I would just skip it like all the reunions before it.  :mad:

Hope to make it this time.  I have yet to make it to any of these but this looks promising.  I'll check with lodging in the morning.  How many folks heading from the Atlanta, GA area?  I'll be coming from Columbus, GA.

Mike

Mike, you are more than welcome to ride up with us.  We will be heading out that Thursday morning from Carrollton.  We will hit Dahlonega, up Blood Mtn and through the Gap and keep going north from there!

Bosco said:
I am looking at my schedule to see if I can make it.

Hello Bosco.  I see you are one of the Ky guys.  It would be great if you could make it, I'd like to meet you.  We need to show these guys from Ga some Ky hospitality.  Several of us are coming in Thursday, just come any day and join the fun. 

Just found a bad leak on one of my front forks.  Unless I can get this fixed in the next day or so I might have to miss this one too! :mad:

I'll be there Friday morning. Made my reservation today. I just got the bike out of the shop yesterday, fully restored from last years crash with some new modifications..."Farkles", I guess you call them. I promise to NOT crash this year.

Lance

>:D
                          I'm coming again  and bringing my Son Brian . Looks like we'll be camping at Natural Bridge .
Brian has a Hayabusa . He asked me what other motorcycles are likely to be at this ride . I told him mostly Concours's .
His reply was " so I'll be waiting for everyone to catch up all the time "
              Looking forward to see everyone again . See ya Friday morning !

Paul

My son and I plan to arrive sometime Friday between 4 and 6pm. Good to hear from you Lance, got pants?

David C-14
Dustin ZX6r

Bike is in the shop until Monday, so sadly I won't be with you guys this weekend.  Have fun and ride safe.  See you guys hopefully at the next gathering.

Mike

At this point, it looks like I will come down Friday morning and stay thru Saturday dinner. Can Dreambike PM me your cell number so we can get together late Friday morning.

David...Great to hear from you. Yes I have riding pants, finally.

What time will you all start exploring the local roads Friday morning? I'm just 45 min up the road in Lexington & will come down Friday morning.

To those that are joining us for the first time....there is a great little family owned restaurant walking distance from the motel, I have forgotten the name, the food is great and inexpensive however it is cash only.

There is a hotel down the road (6 miles) that is owned by the same family called "Lil Abner's" that has a swimming pool. We can swim there if you would like so bring your suits.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Lance

Looking forward to it, leaving by 8 in the morning!  We will be heading out Friday morning after breakfast.  I would think everyone will be up and at 'em by 7:30 or 8am.  We can go eat first or ride a little and eat, either should work.  We will just have to see by who is there.  I would be at the hotel by 8am to be safe.

I can't make it this year as my lovely wife just got a new job, its almost bitter sweet cause I love riding there in Ky. Next time I hope.

That trip was a blast.It was fun meeting up with everyone.I can't wait till next year.Thanks for putting up a great ride.
Jay

This was my first COG event. I had expectations of a nice laid back ride through the hills of Kentucky. I figured wrong. I was only able to stay for the Friday ride which started at 9am after breakfast and ended almost 300 miles later after 6pm. That was over 9 hours in the challenging hills of the area. All riders were prepared, courteous, and a pleasure to ride with. The whole experience far exceeded my expectations. I was welcomed and felt comfortable from the start. Anybody thinking about attending a COG event its time to stop thinking about it and show up at one. Pretty sure nobody has any Chicken Strips left. Thank you all for a great experience. See you next year.

I will echo the others, I had a good time as well!  It was nice to see a couple of new faces and all the regular attendee's of this event. 

Thanks to everyone who attended.  It wouldn't be the same without each and every one of you attending and hearing how much you enjoy the area.  A big thanks to Brian who agrees to lead rides every year and another big thanks to the new attendees who gave it a shot.  This year there were several new areas explored and a couple of tips from locals I met, so I plan to expand the homemade maps to include some routes for 2013.  Don't miss out!  See ya next year!  Larry

I had a great time also. Very good ride. I rode down from the Cincinnati area. Left at 5:30 and got to the Abners Hotel HQ at about 8:00. Everyone except Lance was a breakfast and we got going about 9:00. I had a great time riding all morning and early afternoon until about 2:00. We then broke for lunch at KFC. After lunch, I started to get a headache and noticed that my back tire had really worn down. I was planning to get a new tire soon, but it really wore out on the 6 hour ride. I decided to break off from the group at that time and head for home.
It was a good thing as by the time I got home the steal belts were showing on the rear tire. A good decision as another 4 hours of hard riding would have finished that tire off for sure.

Had a great time wish I could have stayed longer. Here are some pics.

dsc02455u.jpg

dsc02457s.jpg

dsc02456k.jpg

dsc02460q.jpg

I had a really good time with old friends and new on this ride. Its one of the things I look forward to all year. I took a movie of the guys heading out Saturday morning. It prevented me from saying goodbye. Jay I 'm glad you didn't challenge the dump truck!  You can view the movie here...http://youtu.be/z-L8Yh7lPKI.

Is this ride happening again this year? It is a great event? Aside from the the ticket I got in Cincinnati riding down.

ConcoursKZ said:
Is this ride happening again this year? It is a great event? Aside from the the ticket I got in Cincinnati riding down.

I hope so & bummer about the ticket in Cincy! I don't really need another excuse to get my C14 out in DBNF since it's in my backyard, but I would enjoy meeting up with some of you guys. My shop and any available resources I have are offered to anyone if interested... I'm located at the north end of Cave Run Lake in Farmers, KY.      https://www.facebook.com/LakeTrax