• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2013 COG National; Looking for someone to Share the Ride

connie_rider

I've seen several notes where Members are looking for someone to ride with "To the 2013 COG National".

So, I thought I'd start this discussion and see if it helps anyone.  :)

Tell us; Your name
            Where your riding from
            When you plan to leave
            Riding or trailering
            Approximate route
            Interested in someone riding with you
            Other

I'm Ted (Connie_Rider),
            Leaving from Houston on Thursday (afternoon), Aug 22,
            Trailering (Yes, I know I'm a sinner/towing 2 bikes),
            Houston, to Dallas, to Amarillo, to Albuquerque, to Salt Lake, to Idaho Falls.,
            Welcome others that want to meet on the road,
            Pushing pretty hard as I want to be there by Sunday afternoon,
            Can help others in need if you have bike problems along my route. (PM me if you want my Cell #)

Anyone else want to share your ride plans?  :motonoises:

Ride safe, Ted

Hi Ted, Im Rick

Leaving KC early AM on Saturday 8-24
Looking to layover in Sydney NE or Cheyenne WY that evening.
Then onto Cody for layover 2
Then onto ID Falls by way of Chief Joseph HWY to 212 towards Redlodge then on down towards ID Falls ( kinda want to have the Beartooth Pass Experience)

Returning, would like to keep to higher elevations to avoid extreme heat but up to anything on way back. My thoughts were ID Falls to Flaming Gorge for layover, there to Grand Junction Co then picking up 141 to 145 and layover in Placerville Co. Then continue on 145 to 160 by Cortez to Durango then up 550 with a layover in Ouray by a couple Breweries. From Ouray, 550 to Montrose then to 50 east to 92 north. From there, on eastward.

Leaving Traverse City, Mi about a week before, if able.
Traveling across HWY 2 into Glacier nation park.
Ride going to sun hwy. Then down to rally.
Returning want to ride up Mount Evens.
Then home some how.

RWulf said:
Leaving Traverse City, Mi about a week before, if able.
Traveling across HWY 2 into Glacier nation park.
Ride going to sun hwy. Then down to rally.
Returning want to ride up Mount Evens.
Then home some how.

Sounds like the beginning of a plan. Have you narrowed down any dates?

We plan to ride Bear Tooth Pass and Chief Joseph Hwy after the National.
Anyone else planning that?
From there, home (to Houston) by way of Yellowstone and parts of Colorado.
May ride Pikes Peak...

Ride safe, Ted

I will be riding from Polson, Montana on Flathead Lake ( 2 hrs south of Glacier National Park) down 93 to 28 cutoff through Arco to Idaho Falls. This is my riding neighborhood and I have done this ride at least 10 times on various tours. Some great twisty parts, passes, etc, and I know the local cafes.
I also offer an overnight camp spot at the lake for those coming from North or NW of me.

My plan is to leave the Seattle area Saturday morning, most likely staying in a hotel somewhere east of Boise that night.  If I get really froggy I'll leave early and make it all the way to Idaho Falls Saturday night.  :motonoises:

I am probably posting this in the wrong place so forgive me if that is the case.  I am doing a little Iron Butt thing on the way to the 13 National.  I am in need of a witness at the end of each section and was hoping to find a Connie rider to help out.  I am sure that I can find someone in Idaho since there will be so many of us there so no worries.  What I don't have is a witness after the first 24hrs.  That will be in the Cheyenne, Wyoming area on the night of the 24th.  Anyone interested in signing my log sheet as a witness in the Cheyenne area?  Of course that is dependent on me actually making it there in the allotted time.  Who knows?

Not So Wild Turkey said:
I am probably posting this in the wrong place so forgive me if that is the case.  I am doing a little Iron Butt thing on the way to the 13 National.  I am in need of a witness at the end of each section and was hoping to find a Connie rider to help out.  I am sure that I can find someone in Idaho since there will be so many of us there so no worries.  What I don't have is a witness after the first 24hrs.  That will be in the Cheyenne, Wyoming area on the night of the 24th.  Anyone interested in signing my log sheet as a witness in the Cheyenne area?  Of course that is dependent on me actually making it there in the allotted time.  Who knows?

I'm your Huckleberry..That is If I make it that far.

I was planning on Cheyenne but switched up to Sidney NE..I'm thinking I made a mistake and will probably switch back to Cheyenne as stop #1 I will be staying at This Holiday Inn  http://goo.gl/maps/9lzpL

You're welcome to join up for the rest of the ride to Nationals. My route takes me through Cody then Chief Joseph with a short trip towards Red Lodge.

I'm riding from NorCal Central Valley, leaving Saturday morning.  My plan is slab it on 80 most of the way, with an overnight in Winnemucca, then Twin Falls, then Idaho Falls Monday morning.  I'm open to hook up with anyone at any point along the way.  I'm also open to alternate routes as long as I get to Idaho Falls sometime Monday morning.

I plan on leaving Idaho Falls Friday, with the same stops, with maybe Craters of the Moon along the way.

TimR said:
It depends on which way ya go and how big of hurry you ate in...... ;)

Depending where you are in eastern WA, I or we plan to leave Flathead Lake about 3 pm Sunday, ride 200 miles to Salmon, Idaho. Next morning easy hop to Idaho Falls.  I like to, um, ride the bike....., but I do stop every 60- 90 minutes for my dogs.  Highways 93 to 28. Mostly scenic, and I know where the pie is.

Patrick in Edmonton, Alberta, leaving sometime Friday Morning and arriving in Idaho Falls Sunday afternoon, riding the bike and camping along the way.

Rasmith
When will you be in Cheyenne?  If you are there Saturday evening I would like use you as my witness for the first leg.  Let me know and I will give you my cell number to get together.

What would really help is a listing of those who have signed up for the National so that we could see who else is coming from our general areas/regions.  That would give a good starting point for folks to discuss riding together.  Unless, of course, such a listing is already out there and I am just too old/dumb/blind to see it!  ???

At some past nationals they had such a list on The National Home site.
I haven't seen one this time, but I haven't looked.
Try there.
I sent a note to Colin and Fred. Asked for info on a National Registered List. Will let you know when I hear more.

Ride safe, Ted

I received an answer to your question from Colin.

What would really help is a listing of those who have signed up for the National so that we could see who else is coming from our general areas/regions.  That would give a good starting point for folks to discuss riding together.  Unless, of course, such a listing is already out there and I am just too old/dumb/blind to see it!  ???

There is already the ability for COG Members to view the attendees

Login to Cogmos and go to the event

Select the "View Attendees" link to see the  list

Ride safe, Ted

Now ya done it. I have to admit "another" of my faults.
I are a Computer Illiterate.

Colin always sez go to Cogmos and do (something).
I didn't know where to look, Confused the heck outa me, but I always thought it was just "me" and everyone else,,, easily understood....

Someone,,, please explain Cogmos to us!

Ride safe, Ted

It's the area wasabi sent us.

Welcome to the Concours Owners Group (COG) web site. Visitors and prospective club members will find information to become better informed about our organization, its camaraderie, rides, rallies & other activities, and technical support for Kawasaki's premiere sport touring machines - the classic Kawasaki Concours and Kawasaki Concours 14 (the GTR1000 and GTR1400 respectively in Europe). This web site also serves as the COG Member Online Services (COGMOS) portal, providing access to our event calendar & registration, discussion forum, online library and archive, and COG member only benefits.

I'm in now,,,, but haven't found the info that we're looking for.

*** Ok, I got in, but not sure it will help with what you want.
      It Shows names (apparently in the order you signed up) and shows their area. (In my case ted Adcock South Central Area).

Ride safe, Ted

Charlie_Gary_NWAD said:
My plan is to leave the Seattle area Saturday morning, most likely staying in a hotel somewhere east of Boise that night.  If I get really froggy I'll leave early and make it all the way to Idaho Falls Saturday night.  :motonoises:

Hey Charlie, wanna split a room on the way down? I seem to recall a Motel 6 or Super 8 in Boise that was reasonable on my way to Frisco a few years back.

Lone-Rider said:
Charlie_Gary_NWAD said:

Hey Charlie, wanna split a room on the way down? I seem to recall a Motel 6 or Super 8 in Boise that was reasonable on my way to Frisco a few years back.

Tim is going along for the ride as well, so if you don't mind a threesome.......... ;)

Hey, I'll sleep on a roll away....Couch, floor  whatever. Or if another wants to jump in we would get two rooms.......

TimR said:
Hey, I'll sleep on a roll away....Couch, floor  whatever. Or if another wants to jump in we would get two rooms.......

I wonder when Colin, Jack and Chuck plan to leave?  I'm pretty sure they're all going to go.

LProbably leaving Canmore Friday evening. Camping near the border Friday night. Saturday either head for Big Hole Battlefield area Montana or Homestead via Lewiston  Idaho. Snake River RV camp for Sunday night. Geez guess I'd better register for the rally :-[ :motonoises:

This is the ride board, but there seems to be some room sharing going on here.
My riding buddy is not coming with me after all.
I'm wondering if there are any single women (non smoking) coming to this who want to share a room at rally central? My tiny, quiet dog will be with me, in case you are allergic. If interested, please send a PM. Thanks!

If there's a room share thread. I haven't seen it.
SHEzonit

Shezonit, I have seen some room sharing discussions.
But (at this moment) I don't recall where?

If you don't see one,, start one.
EZ to do; Mebbe,,,  2013 COG National; Looking for someone (Lady) to Share room at the National

Ride safe, Ted

TimR said:

How do you guys feel about meeting for breakfast at Bob's Cafe, 1807 Kittleson Road, Moses Lake, WA 98837?  We can wind our way to Boise, and stay at the Rodeway Inn.  They offer rollaway beds for ten bucks.  Here's a link to a route that looks windy.  http://goo.gl/maps/J1s4N

Charlie_Gary_NWAD said:
TimR said:

How do you guys feel about meeting for breakfast at Bob's Cafe, 1807 Kittleson Road, Moses Lake, WA 98837?  We can wind our way to Boise, and stay at the Rodeway Inn.  They offer rollaway beds for ten bucks.  Here's a link to a route that looks windy.  http://goo.gl/maps/J1s4N

The more the merrier (and cheaper!) I was thinking about going east to Missoula, then south to avoid the interstate. I-84 to Boise is windy as hell and can be a blast furnace as well from Boise to Idaho Falls. That would work from Moses lake as a meeting spot as well. Find a place to spend the night in Missoula and an easy day to Idaho Falls from there. I-90 to Missoula is a better stretch of interstate, ends up being a little shorter as well.

http://goo.gl/maps/UKBB3

shezonit said:
I will be riding from Polson, Montana on Flathead Lake ( 2 hrs south of Glacier National Park) down 93 to 28 cutoff through Arco to Idaho Falls. This is my riding neighborhood and I have done this ride at least 10 times on various tours. Some good twisty parts, passes, etc, and I know the local cafes.
I also offer an overnight camp spot at the lake for those coming from North or NW of me.

I plan to leave Sunday afternoon about 3PM,  ride about 200 miles down 93 to Salmon, stay in a motel that has $3.00 breakfast, then on to Hwy 28 southeast toward Idaho Falls, arriving about noon. I've ridden this a few times. So if anyone is coming from north or northwest of me and needs a place to stay Saturday night, I am 50 miles south of Kalispell, Montana, on Hwy 93, that goes from Canada  to Idaho.

Hey Wayne and Charlie, meeting at Bob's sounds good to me Just say when. A good breakfast would be a good start for the day. It takes about 1hr 15 min +/- to get there from my house. If we could figure out how to meet up with Maren that would be cool too.

TimR said:
Hey Wayne and Charlie, meeting at Bob's sounds good to me Just say when. A good breakfast would be a good start for the day. It takes about 1hr 15 min +/- to get there from my house. If we could figure out how to meet up with Maren that would be cool too.

Hi Tim--- Yes it would be fun to meet up.
Are you 3s or 4 planning to get to Idaho Falls on Sunday night or Monday morning? I am planning to ride down in 2 sections- Polson to Salmon on Sunday afternoon and Salmon to Idaho Falls on Monday morning. But I could ride it all on Sunday.  Highway 93 will take about an hour longer than the Interstate, but far more scenic and a great pass and some good twisties.  Of course I am somewhat new to my C14 and don't ride on the edges of the tires all the time......

My only constraint is I need to arrive in Idaho Falls on Sunday, the earlier the better (part of being one of the organizers).  I'm very open to route suggestions if they can get me to Idaho Falls in time.

i'm lazy right now, not wanting to dig through the list to figure out who might be going to nationals from the Portland, Oregon area.  anyone going to Idaho falls from the Portland area?  I thought about making a long day of it Sunday, but would be quite open to making the trip a 2 day event.
Brian

Charlie_Gary_NWAD said:
My only constraint is I need to arrive in Idaho Falls on Sunday, the earlier the better (part of being one of the organizers).  I'm very open to route suggestions if they can get me to Idaho Falls in time.
Glad you're so organized.... :)   
IF you 3 or 4 are going to be in Missoula Saturday night, it is easy to get to Idaho Falls by Sunday night. I recommend taking 93 to 28 vs. Interstates 90 to 15. Altho a lot of that Interstate is pretty scenic, I tend to avoid Interstates and I love the big pass from Montana to Idaho on Hwy 93. And there south to Salmon is beautiful twisties.  300 miles from Missoula, so an easy Concours day.

I've ridden that route several times, and I could meet you all in Missoula, unless you like to leave at 7 am.  Or, just see you Monday, after you have worked your organizing magic.

I see my level of organization is showing through the facade.  :017:

Google maps says your 93 to 28 route is 300 miles exactly.  I bet I could make that on one tank of gas.  I am the type who would roll out at 7am or earlier, so I can see going that way and enjoying the ride.  That would put me in Idaho Falls at lunch time, which is what I am trying to achieve.  What do Wayne and Tim think?

1)One tank?  How do you organize that? I barely get 200 miles on a tank.
2) 7 AM? Too early for me....  I can manage 8 AM, but not 7...... 
Sleepy

Matt said:
I'd plan on a fuel stop in either Salmon or Arco. You sure don't want to run out of gas on 93 or 28...
No kidding! Especially 28- that can be a very lonely road. I've been on it a few times and it seems about one car every 30 minutes....and one house an hour....well, there is one tiny town out there with 8 or 9 houses at once.... I always stop on 93 to fuel and eat. There's nothing out there on 28.

Saturday- meet in Moses lake around 8 or so for breakfast, then 300 miles of I-90 to Missoula. I-90 is actually pretty nice once you get past Coeur d'Alene. Definitely a better stretch of interstate than I-84.

Sunday- head south from Missoula on Hwy 93/28. As Charlie said, 300 miles. Arrive early afternoon, even with a 0800 start time.

So are we a party of four? I can start looking into motel accomodations in Missoula. Two to a room?

Looks like there is Motel 6 and Super 8 in Missoula, either are about $70/night.

I am going to be leaving from Massachusetts somewhere around the 15th to spend some time with my sister in Indiana and then get past Chicago on the 18th.  After that I will probably head north into SD and do the Badlands/Mt. Rushmore area, etc.  Plan on just taking it nice and easy and do some sightseeing on the way.  If anyone has the same idea and wants to split rooms, etc. let me know!

Coop

RubberDucky said:
I am going to be leaving from Massachusetts somewhere around the 15th to spend some time with my sister in Indiana and then get past Chicago on the 18th.  After that I will probably head north into SD and do the Badlands/Mt. Rushmore area, etc.  Plan on just taking it nice and easy and do some sightseeing on the way.  If anyone has the same idea and wants to split rooms, etc. let me know!

Coop

Dates? Routes?

I will probably do a combination of slab & back roads between Indiana and SD but I am planning on being in Sioux Falls, SD by end of day on the 19th and take off from there on Tuesday morning (the 20th).  Not sure if I will slab it over to the west side of the state or take Route 44 across; depends on how I feel.  I'll play it by ear from there.  As I said, I am just plan on putzing along and enjoy the views!  :)  How does your time, etc. look?

Coop

RubberDucky said:
I will probably do a combination of slab & back roads between Indiana and SD but I am planning on being in Sioux Falls, SD by end of day on the 19th and take off from there on Tuesday morning (the 20th).  Not sure if I will slab it over to the west side of the state or take Route 44 across; depends on how I feel.  I'll play it by ear from there.  As I said, I am just plan on putzing along and enjoy the views!  :)  How does your time, etc. look?

Coop

It's all in this thread

shezonit said:
Matt said:
I'd plan on a fuel stop in either Salmon or Arco. You sure don't want to run out of gas on 93 or 28...
No kidding! Especially 28- that can be a very lonely road. I've been on it a few times and it seems about one car every 30 minutes....and one house an hour....well, there is one tiny town out there with 8 or 9 houses at once.... I always stop on 93 to fuel and eat. There's nothing out there on 28.

1)One tank?  How do you organize that? I barely get 200 miles on a tank.
2) 7 AM? Too early for me....  I can manage 8 AM, but not 7...... 
Sleepy

I can go 300 on a tank because I have a C-10 instead of a C-14.  :sign0151:

I think a gas stop in Salmon would be prudent, though.

As far as 7am goes, I can always leave earlier than everyone else and greet you when you arrive.  What kind of police activity do 93 and 28 usually have?  If it's non-existent I may head straight down 93, which looks like more fun than 28.  It might be longer, but if I can go faster........

Lone-Rider said:
Saturday- meet in Moses lake around 8 or so for breakfast, then 300 miles of I-90 to Missoula. I-90 is actually pretty nice once you get past Coeur d'Alene. Definitely a better stretch of interstate than I-84.

Sunday- head south from Missoula on Hwy 93/28. As Charlie said, 300 miles. Arrive early afternoon, even with a 0800 start time.

So are we a party of four? I can start looking into motel accomodations in Missoula. Two to a room?

Looks like there is Motel 6 and Super 8 in Missoula, either are about $70/night.

I've done time in that Motel6.  Nice place to sleep.  Will Shezonit share a room with a guy, or is there another 4th person I don't know about?

For all the COG world to see: Historically, on many, many tour nights, Shezonit has shared rooms with guys.....  And experienced stunning levels of epic snoring.....  :p      Now deploys  earplugs.
The question is will a guy share a room with She and her 6 lb. moto dog-who does not snore?
BTW, I am the queen of researching best road food. I know the Best breakfast in MSO.  Or there's  a great (local) breakfast place about 45 mins  south of MSO.
Are youse of the breakfast first thing, or ride to breakfast school?

shezonit said:
For all the COG world to see: Historically, on many, many tour nights, Shezonit has shared rooms with guys.....  And experienced stunning levels of epic snoring.....  :p      Now deploys  earplugs.
The question is will a guy share a room with She and her 6 lb. moto dog-who does not snore?
BTW, I am the queen of researching best road food. I know the Best breakfast in MSO.  Or there's  a great (local) breakfast place about 45 mins  south of MSO.

Color me blushed, I didn't catch the gender reference  :-[

I love dogs and have already spent nights with Charlie and Tim this year so a little variety wouldn't hurt.

I run a CPAP for sleep apnea, so there would be no snoring from me.

Breakfast and then ride, or ride to breakfast - I'm good either way.

re Charlie's question on the speedability of Hwys 93 and 28.
In the several times I've ridden and or driven these roads, it seems I ran at "my" speed, which may or may not correspond to posted numbers......  I generally look at those as suggestions, anyway. Except I learned the hard way that Oregon has a 55MPH limit , and they mean it. My ST1100 and I were apprehended doing 92 and the officer, polite and apologetic as I was, had NO sense of humor about it. But I digress.

Back to 93 and 28. We have a bit of traffic (Montana version)  for about 3 towns south of Missoula. Once we start over the pass......  I've never seen a patrol car there.  On the way to Salmon... the only constraint is getting behind a slow vehicle and waitng for an opportunity to pass. 28 is desolate. YES, 93 farther on would be more scenic and take only a little longer. Also, you could knock that "Craters of the Moon" ride off the list on the way to the rally.

"Color me blushed, I didn't catch the gender reference." 

You and most readers/ riders.  No sweat.
Yes, SHEzonit.
It would be fun to meet you 3 and ride to Idaho Falls. Have you got a dinner spot picked out in MSO?
Only question is-- with the dog, I stop about every 90 minutes to let him pee. So there's that. Other than that, and fuel, I like to ride. I know a few good stops along the way- viewpoints, rest areas, favorite cafes.......

shezonit said:
It would be fun to meet you 3 and ride to Idaho Falls. Have you got a dinner spot picked out in MSO?
Only question is-- with the dog, I stop about every 90 minutes to let him pee. So there's that. Other than that, and fuel, I like to ride. I know a few good stops along the way- viewpoints, rest areas, favorite cafes.......

I'm pretty flexible when it comes to grub as long as it isn't all foo-foo. Burger, burrito, sandwich, or side of beef works for me. Mid tank leg stretch isn't a problem, and Tim needs more frequent stops as well, so that isn't an issue either.

Tim, Charlie- are we agreed on Missoula for Sat night? I can make reservations at Motel 6 and we can delegate dining arrangements for Missoula to IF to Shezonit. Sounds like the plan has come together!

Lone-Rider said:
shezonit said:

I'm pretty flexible when it comes to grub as long as it isn't all foo-foo. Burger, burrito, sandwich, or side of beef works for me. Mid tank leg stretch isn't a problem, and Tim needs more frequent stops as well, so that isn't an issue either.

Tim, Charlie- are we agreed on Missoula for Sat night? I can make reservations at Motel 6 and we can delegate dining arrangements for Missoula to IF to Shezonit. Sounds like the plan has come together!

I say it sounds good to me.  Feel free to make that call.

shezonit said:
"Color me blushed, I didn't catch the gender reference." 

You and most readers/ riders.  No sweat.
Yes, SHEzonit.

shezonit said:

If I take off really early, like before 7am, I would probably ride a while and then stop for breakfast like I'm going to do Saturday morning.  Normally I wouldn't be so bent on leaving early and not stopping much, but on that particular day I need to get to I F sooner better than later. :motonoises:  The three of you can enjoy the leisurely pace and tell me about it when you arrive.  A few pictures would be nice, because we might put on a slide show at the banquet and we'll be soliciting photos from the doings of the previous days.
  I will second Wayne's statement that he doesn't snore.  He sleeps like a baby,  :bedtime2: without the waking up hungry part at 3am part.  :mad: One of the better hotel room mates I've encountered.

"Normally I wouldn't be so bent on leaving early and not stopping much, but on that particular day I need to get to I F sooner better than later"

A-OK  I'm guessing since you are one of the organizers, you know the way to Idaho Falls... :)

At dinner tonight, I mentioned to my riding buddy about riding on 93/28. He said a month ago when he and 2 buds returned from Continental Divide ride, they saw 3 separate patrol cars on 93 on either side of Salmon. They were on smallish dual sports so not exceeding, but..........there could be some patrolling. Heads up.
Can you say "radar detector"?

Just let me know when to be at Bob's for breakfast and I'll be there. I see no real negatives anyplace yet except maybe the po po info.  ;)

TimR 

TimR said:
Just let me know when to be at Bob's for breakfast and I'll be there. I see no real negatives anyplace yet except maybe the po po info.  ;)

TimR

Chuck Lawrence might be joining us.  Hey Wayne, what time do you want to eat breakfast?

Charlie_Gary_NWAD said:
TimR said:

TimR

Chuck Lawrence might be joining us.  Hey Wayne, what time do you want to eat breakfast?

If I leave by 0500, I should be be able to make Moses Lake by 0830-0900. Does that work for everyone?

Works for me and I will agree with Charlie, Wayne is a pretty easy to get along with as a roomy.

Lone-Rider said:
Charlie_Gary_NWAD said:
TimR said:

TimR

If I leave by 0500, I should be be able to make Moses Lake by 0830-0900. Does that work for everyone?

See you there.

Quote from: connie_rider on June 17, 2013, 05:03:59 PM
We're also going to Yellowstone after the National.
We plan to raft some the Yellowstone Sat AM, and ride Chief Joseph Highway on Sat. afternoon (Aug 31)
If ya'll are there,, mebbe ya can ride them with us?
Sunday we have managed to get a room in the Old Faithful Inn. So we intend to stay there and rest,,,, then head for Houston on Monday.
If plans work out we'll stop on the way (home) in Colorado ride Pikes Peak,,,, and see The Bishops castle...

Ride safe, Ted

Our plan has chanaged a bit.
Because of the distance from Idaho Falls to Chief Joseph Hwy, we'll probably have to skip Rafting in the Yellowstone.
This will give us more time to see Chief Joseph and Beartooth Pass.
Will be at the Old Faithful Inn on Sunday night.
Then down thru Grand Tetons on Monday...
If anyone wants to ride Pikes Peak/or the Chief's Hwy,,, with us after the National, let me know.

Ride safe, Ted

Yeah... If you have never ridden it, DO NOT miss riding Beartooth Highway.  It is one of the highest paved roads in North America. Spectacular.  And either Cooke City or Red Lodge interesting. Red Lodge a bit more upscale.  When I go to Beartooth, I always plan to make a day of it and ride it both directions. The turnoff to Chief Joseph and down to Cody is not far (10 ish miles?) from Cooke City.
Just north of Red Lodge , in Roberts, Montana is one of the best vintage BMW specialists in the country, BTW.

As far as the Chief Joseph highway goes, just be ready for about ten miles of the worst tar snakes you've ever seen.

shezonit said:
Tar snakes? Are those related to tar arns?  I'm afraid of them both!

Don't think they're related, but encountering the former may make you want to make a date with a pair of the latter.  :-\  Properly caressed, a set of tar arns can spoon a really nice set of tires onto your rims, on which you'll still hate those Chief Jo tar snakes and their gooyness.

Anyone going up from the Los Angeles area? I'm leaving Van Nuys early early Saturday morning and spending Saturday night in Cedar city Utah. Leaving Cedar city early early and arriving in Idaho Falls Sunday afternoon. 450 miles each day. If anyone wants to hook up, PM me.
Michael

Old Man on a Connie said:
Trying to share this on as many National links as possible. Great link for current road conditions in Idaho. Due to fires some western routes may be affected but no closures currently. Check here often.
http://hb.511.idaho.gov/main.jsf
For those of you with an iPhone, there's a app called IDTraveler that has good, current road info on it. Not sure if you can get it for anything other than iPhone, though. I have it, have used it and it seems to work well. There's also one for Montana called MDT Mobile that is basically the same thing, but for Montana highways.

touring03 said:
Patrick in Edmonton, Alberta, leaving sometime Friday Morning and arriving in Idaho Falls Sunday afternoon, riding the bike and camping along the way.

Patrick, sent you an email. We, Don and Carol from Calgary,  will be in Missoula Sat night, a group of COG'ers are leaving area Sun am. I recommend Logan's pass and camping is all over the area.
Regardless we'll look you up at Rally Central!

CgyC14 said:
touring03 said:

Patrick, sent you an email. We, Don and Carol from Calgary,  will be in Missoula Sat night, a group of COG'ers are leaving area Sun am. I recommend Logan's pass and camping is all over the area.
Regardless we'll look you up at Rally Central!

As of last night, big fire closed Lolo Pass. Check roads before you go!!

montana.matt said:
shezonit said:
As of last night, big fire closed Logan Pass. Check roads before you go!!
Um, I think you mean Lolo pass (US12). Logan pass is in Glacier NP and it's open.

Matt, you are CORRECT!  My fingers just extrapolated Lo--- to Logan. Sorry about that! Yes LOLO pass is in a fire zone.
D'oh.