• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2013 Crab Cake Ride

Russell W Fleming

MARCH 23-24 Saturday & Sunday. “Crab Cakes Ride”
Route and route sheet by Tony Borum.
GPS file by Russell if you want the GPS file email me and I will send it to you.

We will meet at Holly's Restaurant. Holly's is located east of the Bay Bridge on the service road on the north side of Rt. 50 at exit 43B, heading east (exit 43A if you’re heading west). Directions and a map are available at www.hollysrest.com we plan to meet for breakfast at 9:00 am and will depart the restaurant around 10 am and ride the eastern shore of Maryland and Delaware. The ride will end at Elk Neck State Park in North East Maryland where we will camp for the night. Campsites allow 2 tents per site. Hookup with a COG friend and make reservations by calling 1-888-432-2267 or reservations.dnr.state.md.us and ask for camp site # 230 to # 240 area which is close to the bath house.

I have made reservation at WOODY’S CRAB HOUSE in North East MD for dinner at 6:30 pm for CRAB CAKES. Woody’s is located at 29 South Main Street if you cannot make the ride and want to join us for the evening please let me know so I can put your name on the list for dinner.

Sunday morning we have reservations at PIER 1 RESTAURANT for breakfast at 8.30 am. Which is located at 1 North Main Street, North East MD

For more information contact:

Russell W Fleming       RETIRED COG AAD MD/PA         
410-374-9687 or fleming@qis.net

How do you guys sign up for just Saturday night?

Every year I have been just about the only one camping Friday and Saturday, but when signing up online the site says a minimum of 2 nights.  Do you folks pay for two nights and camp only one --- or do you have some magic touch?

That's only during certain times of the year.  From the site when I made my reservation:

Between Memorial Day Weekend and Labor Day Weekend campers are required to stay 2 nights on the weekend, Friday and Saturday. Saturday arrivals or departures are not permitted during this time unless you are reserving 7 or more nights.

We're well before that time period!  ;D

Joe said:
That's only during certain times of the year.  From the site when I made my reservation:

Between Memorial Day Weekend and Labor Day Weekend campers are required to stay 2 nights on the weekend, Friday and Saturday. Saturday arrivals or departures are not permitted during this time unless you are reserving 7 or more nights.

We're well before that time period!  ;D
Thanks, I was thrown by the alert as I selected a camp site.  Well ok, we all know I'm easily baffled!

After all these years decided to go crazy and try a new site; #238!

So looking forward to this. I've had to miss the last few due to other commitments, but we're ready this time. Will be calling in my reservation later today. May be sharing the site with a local rider (Greg) who joined us there a few years ago. Just waiting to hear back to see if he has a kitchen pass for that w/e.

And of course, can't wait to dig into these again:

2010%20Crab%20Cakes%20Ride%20024-XL.jpg

We're in Reservations made for site 231.

Greg Kontopanos (Dirtdoctor on ADV) and I will be sharing the site.

Red hat, right rear:
2010%20Crab%20Cakes%20Ride%20018-XL.jpg

Looking forward to it, and see you at Holly's on Saturday.
:beerchug:

I am new to the COG and am interested in the idea of camping during motorcycle trips. I just found this group and don't have time to plan for the Crab Cake Ride.  Is there a group that does this type of camping trips often?  I am looking for information on gear and trips that would be a good place to start this kind of travel. BTW I am in South Central PA and enjoy visiting MD on my black 2011 C14. We rode down to Essex area for a day on the water this past Sunday.  :great:

Enjoy your trip. Hope I can join you soon.

Greg
Send me a email and I will hook you with what you are looking for.
Anything with my name as the post you will have a good time.
The ones that come to my ride are into riding not setting an talking.
Russell

Since I'll be tied up the rest of week working on other peoples bikes, figured I'd give my own (Connie) a once-over prior to heading out next Saturday for the Crab Cakes Ride up in North East, MD.

Checking the rear tire, I found this:
glass-XL.jpg

It appears I've run over some glass at some point and it became deeply embedded in the tread. Judging from the surrounding area, it's been in there awhile. Have not lost any pressure, so it hasn't broken all the way through yet.

Upon inspection after I got it off, I can see nothing trying to make its way through the carcass. I may get stoopid, dig out all the glass, and install a hot patch on the inside opposite the damage. We'll see.  :)

Regardless, no way in Hades am I heading out on a road trip with a tire like that. I was really hoping these tires would also make it to and from our Spring Fling Rally up in PA in May. Not to be. Dammit Jim!

Sheet!

Fortunately, I've got tires in the wings so looks like a portion of this day will have me changing out the rear tire. NOT, what I wanted to be doing.

hi Russell,
I was on your run a few years back, had so much I am planning on coming down again. I am on call. I am not confirming till wednesday, but mean time I am going to be in the garage going over the bike.Good luck with the new tire.
Any one else travelling down from Ct. do you want to join up. I will be leaving fri,
andy

Is anyone camping friday? It is 20 and snowing here. Think I am staying home :(
                      Andy-WV

Tommyhof said:
12.00 bucks each way for the Chesapeake Bay Bridge tunnell, that infringes on the beer fund

Get of your (retired) Naval wallet. The sequester hasn't hit ya'll yet.

:))

Andy-WV said:
                      Andy-WV

Andy, snowed here this morning, but didn't amount to much. I'm still going... and hope you will too. More concerned with Sunday for the trip home. Rain with questionable temps, but we will do what we have to do. I want them damned crab cakes.  :)

I took a ride up to Rhode Island today to get a new rear tire pressure sensor. had a little bit of snow in New Haven. Less than A inch. But OK. I am heading down to DC on Fri then over to Holly's on Sat morn, See you all there. I hope the Sunday ride will be in front of the snow that's coming.

Andy-WV said:
                      Andy-WV

Come on up, me and Roger will be there, we'll have a fire, we should get there about 1900 (7PM)

Just finished up the last customer bike in the garage, and my own bike is packed for an early departure in the a.m. See ya'll at Holly's, or at the campground. Good times a comin'.

If you're coming, please ride safe and see you there.

Tom and I are in a Comfort Inn (two beds) in Easton,MD. Pretty cold but nice and sunny. I didn't want to freeze my hinny off in a tent for two nights. Sat will be enough!!!

Just got home, hit some sleet north of Gloster but very little rain until the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunell where it was coming down pretty good the last few miles home.

Overall had a really good time, pretty cold, thank goodness those people got evicted from the cabin so Tom and I were able to get one.  Camping in 27F didn't look fun!

Really good turnout for breakfast and the ride, was nice meeting some new people.

i am home safe and sound, sunny and a very warm 42f allday, great rally thanks guys,off to bed.
Andy

The ride, and w/e turned out pretty nice, altho’ a bit cold. Throw in a little drama on Sunday, and it made for an interesting w/e.

My riding partner, Greg, a local fellow ADVer left Richmond Saturday morning and headed to Holly’s. Saw the temps dip down to 23 deg. en-route. Got there a little after 9:00 and there were plenty of bikes in the parking lot.

2013%20Crab%20Cakes%20Ride%20002-L.jpg

Unfortunately, I came down with something that was bugging my intestinal tract so most of my day on Saturday I was having one of those, “Damn, I hope I don’t sneeze” moments. I ordered breakfast, but had second thoughts about trying to eat, so didn’t; probably a wise decision. Greg and I passed on the “ride” so we headed straight up to the park and set up camp. Al General showed up a little later in the day to hang out before we headed into Woody’s in North East for dinner. Others from the ride began appearing, but there nowhere the numbers that were at the breakfast. Greg, Al, Joe Price and Dawn, and I headed into Woody’s to pig out. Al’s wife, Jackie, met us at the restaurant.

Home sweet home at the park:
2013%20Crab%20Cakes%20Ride%20009-L.jpg

I think there were a total of 6 of us at dinner; reservations were for ~30 and the manager at Woody’s (Woody himself?) was not happy since he already had tables reserved and set up for us. Regardless, we basically walked right in and we told him if the rest didn’t show by 6:30 to release the other tables. If you’ve ever been to Woody’s, you know there is always a herd waiting outside to get in, and I can certainly appreciate his being a little upset.

2013%20Crab%20Cakes%20Ride%20017-L.jpg

Greg, Dawn, and Joe:
2013%20Crab%20Cakes%20Ride%20021-L.jpg

Al and Jackie:
2013%20Crab%20Cakes%20Ride%20022-L.jpg

And of course:
2013%20Crab%20Cakes%20Ride%20020-L.jpg

Greg mentioned at the restaurant that it felt like the clutch on his BMW GSA was slipping, and that turned into a full drama the next morning as were heading out of town after breakfast at Pier 1. I was leading Greg and Joe Price (with Dawn) out Rte. 40, and when I looked in my mirrors, they were no where to be seen. I turned back and found them sitting along side of the road. Greg’s clutch had given up the ghost completely and smoke was rolling out of the clutch area. I could smell it when I pulled up.

We pushed his bike back to a level spot to make it easier (and safer) to get it loaded up once we found a way to get it transported. Joe and Dawn headed off, and I hung with Greg. Managed to get a hold of Al (and Jackie), and he was kind enough to hook up his trailer and come to the rescue.

Once they arrived and we got the bike loaded up, I bailed because I knew the weather down our way was going to turn to poo later that afternoon…. And it did.

I came down 301 and started get a spec or two of sleet in my face (I ride with my shield up) some where up around La Plata, MD, but didn't pay it too much mind. Staying on 301 to avoid 95, the road suddenly turned all wet shortly after leaving Bowling Green. Fortunately, it wasn't freezing and there was no evidence of black ice. By the time I got on Chippenham Parkway (a local “loop”) it turned into a real time snow, but wasn't sticking on the road or grass - yet. About 45 minutes after I got home, it got pretty nasty and I was glad I was off the road and the bike.

My yard:
2013%20Crab%20Cakes%20Ride%20025-L.jpg

Al and Jackie were kind enough to trailer Greg’s bike as far down as the north side of the Dahlgren Bridge where Greg’s wife met them with Greg’s trailer. They transferred the bike and headed down to Richmond; they dropped it off at the house a couple of hours later. Looks like one of my next jobs will be to strip the entire arse-end off of the GSA so can get into the clutch area to see just what needs to be replaced. You reading this Kurt? 

I, and I know Greg, can’t thank Al and Jackie enough for coming to his rescue. I know Greg will kindly compensate them for their trouble and expense, if he hasn’t already.

And yes, COG folks are the absolute best.

Glad to hear Gary got home with the bike!  It was kind of scary looking in the rear view mirror and seeing his bike and a cloud of smoke behind obscuring the rest of the road!

Joe said:
Glad to hear Gary got home with the bike!  It was kind of scary looking in the rear view mirror and seeing his bike and a cloud of smoke behind obscuring the rest of the road!

That would be Greg.

The bike is in my garage now and will start on it a little later this week.

I just heard that another BMW took a dump during this ride...... an LT that may have had a rear end failure. Anyone know anything else about this?

Sounds like you'll had fun, except for two Beemers taking a sh*t.  Sue and I would have loved to be there but we have had to
re-arrange our goof off schedule because of the sequester, we are both Feds.

Sue gets 14 days off and I get 22 days off between now and the end of Sept., this is going to hurt considering we are helping to fund a parent as well.

We saved for the Spring Fling so hope to see everyone there  :)

Departed Blacksburg and rode up to the campground arriving just in time to see folks departing for dinner.  Decided to set up tent so wouldn't be fumbling in the dark after dinner.  Tommy and Roger came over and we knocked that out in a jiffy. 

Was nice to see folks and enjoy the perfectly adequate fire!  :campfire:
Was a little chilly camping .... another way to say it was it was pretty darn cold.  >:D

After breakfast rode back towards DC with Roger and Tommy (who were continuing on to Va Beach).  Was nice to talk on the SENA communicators, we were fully prepared to talk to Paul but -- he had already gone home, and he forgot his anyway  :nananana:  Roger filled me in on his battery problems, I laughed about his needing jump starts in the morning (I'll get back to that).

Monday morning I woke up in DC (with the car back in Blacksburg) and found snow on the bike and snow and slush covering the streets  :-[  No problem, I had a back up cab to take me to work ... until they called and said would be an hour late!  :a102:  After some flailing around I found a buddy to give me a lift and made it on time.  :beerchug:

Tuesday was clear and no ice on the streets (GREAT) so I suited up, whacked the ice off the seat and hit the starter button ... unh unh unh click click  :mad:

After much more flailing around I got a ride in and arrived only 1 minute late (in my business late is a big deal).  I haven't been a minute late to a work event  in .... well .... 20 years.  The Navy really beats that being on time into you.

So --- installed a new battery this afternoon and all is good!  :49:

Looking forward to the Trans Allegheny Lunatic Asylum ride  :06:

The other 2005 bmw is owned by Hotch from Pa. about 15 miles from the camp ground.  we pulled over to inspect the back end as he complained of it wobbling, could not see any thing then the about 1 mile more it started to sound like a rubber duck was tired to the back wheel. we found a uhaul shop in Elkton. I put pat and bike on a one way trip home. I got to the camp ground at 7.00pm in time for coffee and tea round the fire, great breakfast and warm and sunny trip home.

connieklr said:
Joe said:

That would be Greg.

The bike is in my garage now and will start on it a little later this week.

Whoops!  I was even reading his name in your post!  At least I got half the letter rights!