• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2014 Concours Front Fork Bolt Stripped

blockmasterII

Hi Everyone,

I have a serious issue, I managed to first strip my front caliper bolt, then to make things worse when I attempted to extract the bolt with a hammer drill the tool broke off inside the striped bolt head. So, has anyone by chance screwed up this bad and if so or not could you provide some tip as to how I can remove the bolt?

Thanks,
Donald

Attachments

• IMG_2289.JPG
    IMG_2289.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_2290.JPG
    IMG_2290.JPG
    152 KB · Views: 204
Buddy did this on his c14, so dont feel bad it happens alot. He cut the head off being careful not to damage the caliber. He slid the caliper off and then extracted the remaining stud with vise grips. Apply some warming heat to the area the studs threads into first to break the loctite bond..

He replaced them with hex cap bolts..

You could drill the head off rather than cut. And then do as kone head said. The broken tool bit should come out with some hammer and chisel work. A cheap carbide tipped drill might get the tool bit out also. The guy I know that did this was able to turn the bolt out with his fingers after the head was drilled off. Cutting the head off would obviously work But I'd be afraid of damaging the caliper

Those bolts are made of some sort of cheese. They strip out very easily. I drill the head off so you can remove the caliper and then you can grab onto the remaining part with some vice grip type pliers and get it out.

When you re-assemble, use some anti-sieze so this doesn't happen again.

Curious about this. Anti seize for sure. Any thought to replacing with a different supplier bolt or re order stock bolts?

This is the only one I see of all the Mcmaster offerings that fit. The hi strength stainless are too small in diameter. And the blue dyed ones are only course thread. I personally have never had a problem with the Kawasaki ones. Nice high strength stainless. I have replaced them once in probably about 30 removals, and I keep a set in reserve if one starts looking like its rounding out. Dont use an impact or overtighten, and all is good. If someone other yourself is working on it then all bets are off.

The black oxided ones shown will rust but will be hard to round out the hex. Although some dummy could easily overtighten to point of stripping threads.

Attachments

• mcm 10 x1.25.png
    mcm 10 x1.25.png
    423.7 KB · Views: 50
Drill off the head with a drill bit slightly larger than the diameter of the shank of the bolt. Stop drilling when you get far enough in that the head will come off.

I don't know length but think I'd go with 316.
Guessing at 60 mm length....

92290A544

Super-Corrosion-Resistant 316 Stainless Steel Socket Head Screw, M10 x 1.5 mm Thread, 60 mm Long

Packs of

Last edited:
Length is 60 as shown. 316 is soft and will stretch easily. Also they are not offered in 1.25mm pitch

Last edited: