• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2014 National Ride Plans

LSGiant

Hi folks just throwing this up there because it already single digits outside and I have to find something to look forward to.

I have made my reservation and need to be in Johnson City on Monday evening. I am taking off on Saturday morning so I have lots of time to get there.

Do I take the scenic route? Is there something special I should stop and see along the way? Are we going to have a group get together somewhere on the way down ? I know some folks like to ride alone, some like to go fast, some like to stop a lot, some like to camp, some like to crash on a couch. But I think we all like to get together at the end of the day and socialize.

Are there some folks I should stop and see along the way?

I am just south of Minneapolis so lots of route choices.

Let's see what happens

LSGiant said:
Hi folks just throwing this up there because it already single digits outside and I have to find something to look forward to.

I have made my reservation and need to be in Johnson City on Monday evening. I am taking off on Saturday morning so I have lots of time to get there.

Do I take the scenic route? Is there something special I should stop and see along the way? Are we going to have a group get together somewhere on the way down ? I know some folks like to ride alone, some like to go fast, some like to stop a lot, some like to camp, some like to crash on a couch. But I think we all like to get together at the end of the day and socialize.

Let's see what happens

I am leaving Muncie IN heading toward Lancaster OH planning on getting in on Monday. You have my interest piqued. Pretty sure we can find a place on the couch in Lancaster on Sunday night. May have to take the scenic Route through Hocking Hills and down Ohio 93 through Ashland KY or something similar on the way to Johnson City Monday AM. Like you ....I remain open to suggestions.

Planning on one-day ride there Sunday. Leaving East central Indiana early Sunday, arriving at Johnson City that night.
Jorge

Tom, how many going to JC? one or two?

Not sure if I am picking up Laurie and going 2 up or if she is riding the RT down. Either way I am going to be in Lancaster OH on Sunday night.

freebird6 said:
LSGiant said:

Let's see what happens

I am leaving Muncie IN heading toward Lancaster OH planning on getting in on Monday. You have my interest piqued. Pretty sure we can find a place on the couch in Lancaster on Sunday night. May have to take the scenic Route through Hocking Hills and down Ohio 93 through Ashland KY or something similar on the way to Johnson City Monday AM. Like you ....I remain open to suggestions.

Are you going to hit the AMA Museum? http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/

Jorge said:
Planning on one-day ride there Sunday. Leaving East central Indiana early Sunday, arriving at Johnson City that night.
Jorge

Tom, how many going to JC? one or two?

Are you planning on going highways or byways. I'm trying to decide if I was to meander down in two days or just twist the throttle on Sunday myself.

Hi Derek,
As of now, Irene and I are planning to make it in one day. We've done a little more than that in one day and it wasn't bad. We stopped every 1.5 hrs or so, and made 470 miles in about 10.5 hours.
We plan on meandering on the way home.
If other frm the area are doing one day there on Sunday, we could meet for breakfast somewhere in SE Indy and go from there.
We're really looking forward to it.

I plan on leaving my house (Maineville, Ohio) at 6AM Sunday and arrive around noonish. Leaving on Saturday whenever I get out of bed. :)

Nice, Hazy.
You're about 2 hours closer, and we'll probably leave about the same time. Still, 6 hours will be quite a pace to keep; should be fun. You slabbing it or taking some back roads? There are some really nice looking roads, but we'll probably minimize them for the sake of time... at least on the way there.

Jorge said:
Nice, Hazy.
You're about 2 hours closer, and we'll probably leave about the same time. Still, 6 hours will be quite a pace to keep; should be fun. You slabbing it or taking some back roads? There are some really nice looking roads, but we'll probably minimize them for the sake of time... at least on the way there.

you should really avail yourself roads like Ohio 93 and /or 56 through Hocking hills on the way down to Ashland KY then grab US 23 if you want to make time after that .....but to miss some of those newly paved roads with all their twisties would be a shame.

Hazy said:
I plan on leaving my house (Maineville, Ohio) at 6AM Sunday and arrive around noonish. Leaving on Saturday whenever I get out of bed. :)

I'm prolly gonna slab it as much as I can on the way down. I plan on volunteering for the welcoming committee so want to get down as quickly as possible to help out.

We'll see how I feel on the way home. I'm planning on doing the proposed white water rafting trip and I want to put a ride together to the Dragon. I figure by Saturday, if I can even move, I may just want to got straight home and pass out.  :(

freebird6 said:
Jorge said:
Nice, Hazy.

[size=14pt]you should really avail yourself roads like Ohio 93 and /or 56 through Hocking hills on the way down to Ashland KY then grab US 23 if you want to make time after that .....but to miss some of those newly paved roads with all their twisties would be a shame.[/size]

These are great roads and should not be missed. If anyone wants to make this route I am in.

ConcoursKZ said:
freebird6 said:
Jorge said:
Nice, Hazy.

[size=14pt]you should really avail yourself roads like Ohio 93 and /or 56 through Hocking hills on the way down to Ashland KY then grab US 23 if you want to make time after that .....but to miss some of those newly paved roads with all their twisties would be a shame.[/size]

These are great roads and should not be missed. If anyone wants to make this route I am in.

I'm in..Can meet ya'll in Ashland.

If you are riding the eastern part of Kentucky down to the National, you should give Jesse (aka; LakeTrax) a shout.  Because he lives in the Morehead area, I'm sure he'd be more than willing to set you up w/ some nice routes south....

DeansZG said:
  If you are riding the eastern part of Kentucky down to the National, you should give Jesse (aka; LakeTrax) a shout.  Because he lives in the Morehead area, I'm sure he'd be more than willing to set you up w/ some nice routes south....

WOw ... how nice would that be. Add a Morehead route to the bottom of this and we got a whole lot of great riding before we even get to the good stuff. Very Tasty.

web-Kentucky-ride2.jpg

freebird6 said:
WOw ... how nice would that be. Add a Morehead route to the bottom of this and we got a whole lot of great riding before we even get to the good stuff. Very Tasty.

Tom, what mapping software is that?  Me likey....

Looks like a shot from a ride report in Rider magazine. Thanks for posting that. Yet another yet-to-be-started project is to pull those ride reports from my stacks of those mags & stick them in a binder grouped somehow (alpha, geo, whatever).

Tom,
Want to try to get locals together for the run to the Nats?

FYI, Im doing moonshine again next year

ConcoursKZ said:
freebird6 said:
Jorge said:
Nice, Hazy.

I was looking at a similar route down 23. I'm trying to decide if I want to head out Saturday or Sunday. I'm coming out of Indy.

Here's an option for all of my fellow NC area members and friends.

Camping:  Get the latest information about Camping at http://concours.org/national/nationalrally2014/lodging#campground.  CampMeister Al Norcross is working to ensure a good rally experience for those COGers who choose to camp. Tent sites are offered at $15.00 per/night/site, and RV sites are $20.00 per/night/site. RV sites have water, sewage and electric included. The restrooms and shower facilities have been visited by a member of the rally team, and have been deemed clean and of sufficient numbers to take care of our group. Campers can expect; a morning coffee station with snacks, available bottled water for the days ride, a large common fire ring, and lots of firewood. A couple of photos of the camping area are on the rally registration page, and the sites look to be flat, grassy and spacious. All Tents and RV's will be in the same area, and the restrooms and showers do NOT include a long walk. Besides all of the things that we've come to expect as the basics for camping, we'll try to come up with a few surprises to enhance our camping experience. We've arranged a shuttle for the Thursday night banquet to get our riders to and from the dinner and awards. This is provided at no charge to either the members or to COG. Al's a complete camper, so you can trust he'll do everything possible to make this a great experience for all. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact Al (IronButtAl on the forum) by way of a PM, or at his club email address > SEAD@cog-online.org <

Here's my tentative Route to the Rally. If anyone wants to join up along the way, the more the merrier!!  http://goo.gl/maps/6erhi

Overnight in Louisville KY
Lunch in Ashland KY (Possible meetup with other riders?)
Ashland to Johnson City.

God willing and the creek don't rise, should be an easy 2 day run to the Nationals
Superslab to Ashland then secondaries to Johnson City

I'm working on a longer ride back taking mainly secondary roads.

Just thought I'd throw this out there for conversation sake