• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2015 events for the SW area?

OMoaC

Credit Steve Smith NEAD for the idea. We have the Big Dog National Rally in Cortez CO in 2015. What other events would you like to see, sponsor, participate in? Co-Reg Rally with the NW Group in Sept? Where? It's your club and your area. Give me your idea's and thought's. This is important folks. Without your participation we are nothing. No idea to crazy (well some are but............). Fess Up. You know you wanna!  :)
Mark Hartman
COG/SWAD (Current)

September? Only one thing for dat... a NW-SW Joust in NorCal, Shasta to be precise, or maybe Weaverville. We can call it the Back to Shasta 2.  Need to talk to Lisa about this one as she's driven the last two. I'm gonna see Linda tomorrow, I'll get her in on it.

I'm outta here.. goin' to Oceano Dunes to play in the sand for a couple of days.

JPavlis_CA said:
September? Only one thing for dat... a NW-SW Joust in NorCal, Shasta to be precise, or maybe Weaverville. We can call it the Back to Shasta 2.  Need to talk to Lisa about this one as she's driven the last two. I'm gonna see Linda tomorrow, I'll get her in on it.

I'm outta here.. goin' to Oceano Dunes to play in the sand for a couple of days.
Looked at Weaverville JP. You guy's get lodging I'll back your play. Lemme know. Howza 'bout the rest of you SWCOG?

Folks up north said good things about that area.  Much better than Reno, they said.  I know I'm up for something down that way.

Is there any talk about a spring rally? I know there will be a lot of work preparing for Cortez but I still need an excuse to get out more.

I like riding to and from work most every day.    :rotflmao:
Though - it was a bit chilly leaving the homestead this AM - a balmy 30 outside...  :motonoises:

Bruce, you need to post those rides on the calendar. DGold, no plans yet for a spring fling but you and Deb have a standing invite to Henderson NV whenever you would like. Let the planning begin.

Death Valley rides…

Been reluctant to mention it, since I don't know my schedule and budget, but since I'm not sure I'm gonna be able to do any overnights, maybe I should possibly host a couple here.  Some possibilities:

Ride across Death Valley (Vegas to Lone Pine) in the fall or spring.  Could meet some So-Cal folk in Lone Pine...

Ride to Dante's View in summer in the moonlight.  Did it in July on a full moon and it was beautiful.  Nobody up there at all.

And of course, if it ever gets  seriously above 120, I'll post up the Death Valley Bake-Off and we'll go get our pictures taken at the thermometer in Furnace Creek.  :-\

CaffeineMan said:
Death Valley rides…

Been reluctant to mention it, since I don't know my schedule and budget, but since I'm not sure I'm gonna be able to do any overnights, maybe I should possibly host a couple here.  Some possibilities:

Ride across Death Valley (Vegas to Lone Pine) in the fall or spring.  Could meet some So-Cal folk in Lone Pine...

Ride to Dante's View in summer in the moonlight.  Did it in July on a full moon and it was beautiful.  Nobody up there at all.

And of course, if it ever gets  seriously above 120, I'll post up the Death Valley Bake-Off and we'll go get our pictures taken at the thermometer in Furnace Creek.  :-\
I Like DV!

I'm thinking again and that's a dangerous thing, just ask my wife.

In mid November I need to ride down to Quartzsite AZ pay homage to a camel driver named Hi-Jolly, do a photo shoot and stop by Quartzsite Yacht Club.  It's a good time of the year as the desert heat's subsided, days in the 70's and nights in the mid 50's.  North of Quartzsite and up the road a bit is the Parker Strip on the Colorado River and a County campground perched on the edge of a den of iniquity.  It's a nice place to hang out that time of the year camp out and go native so to speak.  The roads in the area aren't all that great for carving but it's an interesting place to hang out with the natives, dip a toe into the river and maybe go to the Nelie E. Saloon, they open for the season on the third week in October.  The Nelie E is located 5 miles up a dirt road in an old mining camp.  There's also wakeboarding available but you don't need a boat to carve through the water.

This could also be a nice place for SW COGdome to meet and go native with the natives on the Parker Strip.

I've included a slideshow and some links for those that might be interested in kicking the idea around.

Slide show:
http://s1326.photobucket.com/user/propertyalchemist/slideshow/Parker%20Strip

Nelie E's
http://www.thedesertbar.com/

Wakeboarding
http://www.bluewaterfun.com/resort-amenities/wakeboard-island/

What about a Salt Lake City meet-up, ride northern Utah over to the Grand Tetons? Or head south through Utah to Canyonlands, Arches, a desert sort of thing?

Buddy said:
What about a Salt Lake City meet-up, ride northern Utah over to the Grand Tetons? Or head south through Utah to Canyonlands, Arches, a desert sort of thing?
Mike B I would think will be on this like cold on snow.

Head up Logan Canyon, Bear Lake and then through Star Valley into Jackson Hole, yada, yada, yada.  Or I have some local canyon loops that will blow your mind (300, 400, 500+ miles in a day). So, so many options.  Ya'll can camp in my backyard.  PLENTY of room.  Sprinklers Showers come on at 6am.

Peace,
Mike

I'd be down with an SLC-area ride.  I've got friends / family out there.
Mikey B - just how big is your back yard?  And, how will the neighbors feel when the lot of us strip down and soap-up for the morning shower?
:-\  :-\

MikeB said:
Head up Logan Canyon, Bear Lake and then through Star Valley into Jackson Hole, yada, yada, yada.  Or I have some local canyon loops that will blow your mind (300, 400, 500+ miles in a day). So, so many options.  Ya'll can camp in my backyard.  PLENTY of room.  Sprinklers Showers come on at 6am.

Peace,
Mike
Mikey you interested in doing something in the early fall in Southern Utah?  Cedar City was sometime ago.  Anyplace we can hide out and hang out. Swat flies and tell big lies.  :-[

Bert

notsluggo said:
I'd be down with an SLC-area ride.  I've got friends / family out there.
Mikey B - just how big is your back yard?  And, how will the neighbors feel when the lot of us strip down and soap-up for the morning shower?
:-\  :-\
Geez. Say it ain't so. Leave the gladiator movies at home. Still trying to scratch together a co reg with our brethren in the NW. Any takers? Bueller? Bueller?

Getting close to wildflower season in Death Valley.

Made a run yesterday (Feb. 15th) from Pahrump to Lone Pine and up Whitney Portal Rd. until the point where it was marked "closed".  Roads were all clear and the riding was great.

I may be doing something in DV again in 2 weeks.  Nothing formal, but I will check in here to see if anyone is interested.

CaffeineMan said:

Made a run yesterday (Feb. 15th) from Pahrump to Lone Pine and up Whitney Portal Rd. until the point where it was marked "closed".  Roads were all clear and the riding was great.

I may be doing something in DV again in 2 weeks.  Nothing formal, but I will check in here to see if anyone is interested.
Let me know when you go.  Can you give me three days heads up.  Love to go.

Bert

The local Mega-Loop I'm referring to is (in order) Spanish Fork Canyon, Huntington Canyon, Indian Canyon, Wolf Creek Pass, Mirror Lake Highway, Monte Cristo, Trappers Loop, East Canyon and home.  Seriously Epic...
http://mapq.st/1EQbcla

Bruce, I'm on a corner lot, biggest back yard in the neighborhood.  You could easily pitch 15 4-man tents back there, maybe 20.
http://tinyurl.com/oyrmmvn

Bert, still waiting to hear if somethings going to happen with NW.  If not, then maybe. :)

Mike

CaffeineMan said:

Weather will be crap this weekend (2/28-3/1) but it looks like it may clear out for next weekend, with the long range forecast to be low 70's in Pahrump, which means 80-90 in Death Valley.  With DV getting rain this weekend and temps staying cool, that could mean a decent early bloom and thus a good chance for a ride the weekend of 3/7-3/8.

I'm thinking of this route:

From Pahrump
- NV-372 to Shoshone
- CA-178 (Badwater Rd) over Jubilee Pass into Death Valley National Park (flowers will be along this road)
- Up Badwater Rd through Badwater
- Loop on Artists Drive and back onto Badwater Rd.
- Badwater Rd to CA-190 into Furnace Creek.
- CA-190 to the Beatty Cutoff and Daylight Pass Rd, over Daylight Pass, on NV-374 into Beatty.

At that point, most of the early-season wildflower areas (accessible via Connies  ;D) have been hit, so then it's back to Pahrump via a TBD route.  I'm thinking:

- Back to Furnace Creek
- East on CA-190 to Dante's View Rd.
- Up to Dante's view, just for fun.
- Back down to CA-190
- CA-190 to Death Valley Junction, then Stateline Rd. back to Pahrump

272 meandering miles, taking all day, basically.

Any interest?  If so, talk to me and we'll see whether the logistics work.

For those not familiar with Death Valley this is a great ride. Even includes some nice twisty sections. The scenery is really incredible (See Dantes View). And if the wildflowers are out it's win win. I would encourage everyone within a days ride to make this one. Thanks for throwing it out there Cman!  :great: :beerchug:

CaffeineMan said:
CaffeineMan said:

Weather will be crap this weekend (2/28-3/1) but it looks like it may clear out for next weekend, with the long range forecast to be low 70's in Pahrump, which means 80-90 in Death Valley.  With DV getting rain this weekend and temps staying cool, that could mean a decent early bloom and thus a good chance for a ride the weekend of 3/7-3/8.

I'm thinking of this route:

From Pahrump
- NV-372 to Shoshone
- CA-178 (Badwater Rd) over Jubilee Pass into Death Valley National Park (flowers will be along this road)
- Up Badwater Rd through Badwater
- Loop on Artists Drive and back onto Badwater Rd.
- Badwater Rd to CA-190 into Furnace Creek.
- CA-190 to the Beatty Cutoff and Daylight Pass Rd, over Daylight Pass, on NV-374 into Beatty.

At that point, most of the early-season wildflower areas (accessible via Connies  ;D) have been hit, so then it's back to Pahrump via a TBD route.  I'm thinking:

- Back to Furnace Creek
- East on CA-190 to Dante's View Rd.
- Up to Dante's view, just for fun.
- Back down to CA-190
- CA-190 to Death Valley Junction, then Stateline Rd. back to Pahrump

272 meandering miles, taking all day, basically.

Any interest?  If so, talk to me and we'll see whether the logistics work.

I made a recon run yesterday and the wildflowers are out on the valley floor along Badwater Rd.  Temps will be cool, with possible rain this week, so they should last until next weekend.

So, I'm definitely riding DV that weekend.  Not sure which day yet.  If anyone is interested, let me know and we'll see if we can arrange logistics.

As far as a Joint Regional goes, we're looking to do something in Yreka a couple weeks after Labor Day.  Unless someone else has a better idea and is willing to do the legwork, plan on Yreka in September and come on out and enjoy some quality bench racing with your northern brethren.  We never fail to amaze onlookers and innocent bystanders.

Charlie_Gary_NWAD said:
As far as a Joint Regional goes, we're looking to do something in Yreka a couple weeks after Labor Day.  Unless someone else has a better idea and is willing to do the legwork, plan on Yreka in September and come on out and enjoy some quality bench racing with your northern brethren.  We never fail to amaze onlookers and innocent bystanders.

I think I can get there in two days from Denver!

denver6 said:
Charlie_Gary_NWAD said:

You'd have to be slabbing it across Utah / Nevada or cooking across Hwy 50 (which I've done it an Infiniti).
It's a thousand miles to Carson City from here - and that's two long days alone.
It's another 280 from Carson City to Yreka...

notsluggo said:
denver6 said:
Charlie_Gary_NWAD said:

I was thinking:
Day 1:  Denver -> Ely, NV
Day 2: Ely, NV -> Yreka, CA

Two long days. But the more I do this, the more I like long days. And early starts! Weird, huh?

I'm more concerned about the unpredictable Continental divide weather in September than I about the distance.

You'd have to be slabbing it across Utah / Nevada or cooking across Hwy 50 (which I've done it an Infiniti).
It's a thousand miles to Carson City from here - and that's two long days alone.
It's another 280 from Carson City to Yreka...

denver6 said:
I was thinking:
Day 1:  Denver -> Ely, NV
Day 2: Ely, NV -> Yreka, CA

Two long days. But the more I do this, the more I like long days. And early starts! Weird, huh?

I'm more concerned about the unpredictable Continental divide weather in September than I about the distance.

Yup.  Two Septembers ago, Nga and I were riding to Durango for a four day leaf-viewing trip.  Ended up overnighting in Gunnison and turning back due to a healthly September snowstorm.

I just moved to the SF Bay Area (Oakland) so would be happy to put together some rides up this way too. I really like riding around Altamont Pass and up in Marin County, but am open to other areas and finding new favourite places to ride.

Alice's restaurant on 84 is always a good meeting place for breakfast, or a good lunch stop too.

voileauciel said:
I just moved to the SF Bay Area (Oakland) so would be happy to put together some rides up this way too. I really like riding around Altamont Pass and up in Marin County, but am open to other areas and finding new favourite places to ride.

Alice's restaurant on 84 is always a good meeting place for breakfast, or a good lunch stop too.
Dude, You made the move and didn't tell me? Welcome in Bud.

Old Man on a Connie said:
voileauciel said:

He didn't ask Darrell to change his area, either.  He still shows himself to be from the NE.

Charlie_Gary_NWAD said:
Old Man on a Connie said:
voileauciel said:

He didn't ask Darrell to change his area, either.  He still shows himself to be from the NE.

You could say I was rather busy with things, so it slipped my mind. Who is Darrell and what info does this person need from me?

voileauciel said:
You could say I was rather busy with things, so it slipped my mind. Who is Darrell and what info does this person need from me?
Darrel Anderson, he does the membership directory.

Membership at cog-online org

Probably needs COG # and update on address. Update the My Info link as well.

I can get it taken care of for you Chris. Welcome to the great SW. We gonna C U in Cortez?

My search for a room mate continues, I see.

Darrell will encourage you to go into COGMOS from the main web site
http://cog-online.org/ClubPortal/ClubStatic.cfm?clubID=1328&pubmenuoptID=13528
and go into your profile and update as much as possible there.  That helps ensure the only person who can screw up your data entry is you.  I believe the only thing you can't change yourself is the Area.

When you can, come up in the summer and go for a ride up the Klickitat with Darrell.  It's a ride to write home about. :motonoises:

Charlie_Gary_NWAD said:
My search for a room mate continues, I see.

Darrell will encourage you to go into COGMOS from the main web site
http://cog-online.org/ClubPortal/ClubStatic.cfm?clubID=1328&pubmenuoptID=13528
and go into your profile and update as much as possible there.  That helps ensure the only person who can screw up your data entry is you.  I believe the only thing you can't change yourself is the Area.

When you can, come up in the summer and go for a ride up the Klickitat with Darrell.  It's a ride to write home about. :motonoises:
Yep. What Charlie said. Update your stuff and I can get your area changed. I know a guy who knows a guy. If you can't make the Nat try to make Charlies Bun Cooler. OMoaC recommended.

Voileauciel,

I'm in Berkeley for a few more months and ride most weekends. I'm working getting a house ready to sell for the next 2-3 weekends, but will be clear after that. I'm trying to plan a Sierra run with a couple of buddies for early May. Will keep you posted.

And what became of the SLC meet-up proposal? Melted away with the snow?

Raymond