• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2023 FJR1300

smeg1951

I’ve owned a 2023 FJR1300 for 3 weeks now. Here’s a comparison to my 2006 Connie:

Yami is much smoother, quieter, and has less vibrations (although my Connie’s handlebars had few vibrations – the Yami has none).

Yami has more power and you can creep past the legal limit without noticing – Connie has more power than I need.

Fuel economy is about the same.

My helmet does not fit in Yami’s side bags but does in Connie’s.

The travel bag I used with Connie does not fit in Yami’s side bags because they are not square.

Yami’s speedo reads high by about 8%. Connie, with a 120 Road 5 tire is very accurate.

Yami’s seat is 3 inches narrower and is harder.

Yami has cruise control. I had to add it to Connie.

Yami has heated grips.

The stock windscreen is very close to acceptable. I have ordered a taller National Cycle VStream windscreen. The stock Connie screen was horrible. I replaced with a Rifle that I could made screens myself.

Even though Yami is heavier, she feels much lighter.

Oil changes are easier on Yami.

Yami only has a 1 year warranty.

The riding position is very good on Yami. I needed to add risers on Connie.

The first couple of times I put Yami on her side stand, my heart leapt to my throat because she leans a lot more than Connie and I thought I forgot to put the side stand down.

The Yami side stand and centre stand levers are close together. When putting down the side stand it is easy to hit the centre stand with your foot.

Yami is so much easier to put on the centre stand.

Connie’s mirrors and better with more coverage.

With 17 inch rims, there will be many many more tires for Yami.

Yami has a small but usable storage area under the seat.

Yami’s battery is located where Connie has a storage compartment in the front right of the fairing. It should be under the seat to help keep weight low.

Lmao... ur comparing an apple to a banana. Or should I say, a 2023 apple to a 2006 banana. A banana thats 17 years ripe (meaning older techology). It isn't even a worthy comparison. It might be a comparison if you had used the upgraded 'CONCOURS' called a c14. Then you go item for item on your comparison.

And before you ask, yes I used to own a 1998 concours. And there is no way I would even try to compare the c10 to a c14...JMHO!!!

The 1993 Cycle World magazine Sport Tourer shootout listed 676 lbs as the C10 weight (full tank). When the C10 was refreshed (1995?) it gained just a few pounds. The FJR is definitely lighter than 676 lbs.

More power? Indeed. The FJR makes more torque at 3.5K RPM than the stock C10 makes at its peak. The C14 even more peak torque than the FJR.

I'm surprised you didn't mention the superior suspension of the FJR. The old damper rod technology works OK until the suspension needs to move faster than the damper rod orifices will allow.

I've never tried to verify the speedo on mine but the fjrforum guys say that running a 190/55 on the rear puts it quite close. Some of them say that the speedo accuracy varies by country.

Yeah, the C14/FJR are in another world compared to the C10 but I still miss mine just a little.

Of course it's a valid comparison. I'm going from one to the other for a lot of money. These are the differences I've noticed so far. The FJR is a mainly positive upgrade but Connie has a few features that are better. I put in single weight springs and cartridge emulators in Connie - a very large improvement. Since I have not fully broken in the FJR or ridden in the twisties, I cannot make comment on the suspension (although I've already noticed bumps and dips are handled better). As for weight, Wikipedia says the FJR is 21.5 lb lighter wet. The Connie holds 3.5 litres more gas. The FJR with a full tank feels much lighter than Connie with an empty tank. I wondered if I would like the FJR enough for it to make sense for a guy my age to put out all that dough. But I figured, that since I could afford it, what the heck. By the way, I still love my 2006 banana.