• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2024 National Rally - Big Bike Friendly Forrest Service Roads

roger123

I'm putting together some big bike (think GS/ Super Tenere/ DL1000 with luggage, etc.) "off-roady" type routes for the National. I've not ridden a lot that far west, I've spent a ton of time around Marlington, Watoga, Helvetica, etc. but am looking to put some stuff together around Rally HG.

These will be big bike (with luggage and 80/20 tires) focused gravel type roads, no single track, no mud, no sand. I really enjoy riding forest service type roads and that's what I'm putting together.

I use onX Maps, Google Maps, Garmin Explore, and Garmin BaseCamp to do my routing. These routes will likely encounter gates, some water crossings perhaps, and some turn-arounds when the going gets too tough. I'm doing this from my living room 300 miles away so can make no promises on road surfaces, gates, restroom facilities, etc.

If this is something you like to do and have some experience in the Flatwoods area please post up what you have and your thoughts here.

I just started this weekend and have a few ideas that I'll be posting up soon.

It doesn't have to be 300 miles of pure dirt, just looking for good forrest service type roads mixed in with some great WV twisties!!!

How is this going?
Look forward to this. A Dual Sport group ride has been popular at previous rallys.

Roger.
Is the road from Holly River State Park over to Pickens dirt/gravel?
And I think Greenbrier Road south out of Richwood is a LONG dirt/gravel road down to route 60 east of lewisburg,
Jason

Unfortunately my limited scouting trip didn't pan out as I had hoped. The road south out of Flatwoods that I was looking at is really just a dusty smooth fairly straight gravel road.

Jason, Yes, I am looking in that area now as probably our best bet for a big bike friendly gravel road excursion.

Roger.
Is the road from Holly River State Park over to Pickens dirt/gravel?
And I think Greenbrier Road south out of Richwood is a LONG dirt/gravel road down to route 60 east of lewisburg,
Jason

Mixture of broken asphalt, gravel, and assorted other "stuff." The road's condition changes dependent on the weather conditions in the preceding months.