• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2024 Wildflower Rally...jus' thinkin' out loud here...soliciting input as well...

fartymarty

SC AAD
1) In planning ahead for 2024 trying to pick dates is more difficult this year due to the Solar eclipse on April 8th. Easter 2024 will be on Sunday
March 31st and there is usually a COG ride in Arkansas in late April that needs to be considered. So with that in mind I'm thinking of hosting the 2024 COG Wildflower rally earlier in the year than usual on March 22-24 2024....which may or may not conflict with the Moto GP race at COTA. To the best of my knowledge the dates for COTA have not been announced yet. As most of you know at the River Inn (our usual venue), the rooms are individually owned and we have to wait until October to firm up our stay there so the owners can pick their dates for 2024 first. I have not contacted the River Inn yet but I have to assume that most of the rooms will not be available on the solar eclipse weekend, and that if they were the prices would not be COG friendly. Additionally, many COGers may plan to make the eclipse a family event and not care to go to a motorcycle event on that weekend. So the dates I'm considering are point one of the discussion.

2) Point two would be the venue of the River Inn. I know it's a nice place, and we all like sitting around the fireplace to socialize....but I and many others were surprised by the "Resort Fee" tacked on to each reservation in 2023 (was it $25?..I forget) which didn't sit too well with me. I'm not sure the COG discount of $5 per room means much when they charge a resort fee. The only alternatives would be in Kerrville and although most venues there have outdoor seating areas for socializing, I doubt many have outdoor wood fireplaces (probably gas) that we could monopolize. Food service would probably be at local restaurants with individual checks, but if we get enough people and if we stay at the Y.O. or Inn of the Hills we may be able to get an in house dinner catered.

Anyway depending on how much feedback I get and discussion is generated, the very tentative plan is to have the 2024 Wildflower on March 22-24 and at River Inn.

Looking forward to your input. Obviously those I have seen at past Wildflower events opinions would carry a little more weight than those that have never attended. Those that wish to share their opinions via PM... er.... forum private conversation instead of out in the open, need not worry that I will quote them or have their identities made known to others.

Please let me know your thoughts and suggestions before October 2023...Thanks, Marty

Last edited:
1) In planning ahead for 2024 trying to pick dates is more difficult this year due to the Solar eclipse on April 8th. Easter 2024 will be on Sunday
March 31st and there is usually a COG ride in Arkansas in late April that needs to be considered. So with that in mind I'm thinking of hosting the 2024 COG Wildflower rally earlier in the year than usual on March 22-24 2024....which may or may not conflict with the Moto GP race at COTA. To the best of my knowledge the dates for COTA have not been announced yet. As most of you know at the River Inn (our usual venue), the rooms are individually owned and we have to wait until October to firm up our stay there so the owners can pick their dates for 2024 first. I have not contacted the River Inn yet but I have to assume that most of the rooms will not be available on the solar eclipse weekend, and that if they were the prices would not be COG friendly. Additionally, many COGers may plan to make the eclipse a family event and not care to go to a motorcycle event on that weekend. So the dates I'm considering are point one of the discussion.

2) Point two would be the venue of the River Inn. I know it's a nice place, and we all like sitting around the fireplace to socialize....but I and many others were surprised by the "Resort Fee" tacked on to each reservation in 2023 (was it $25?..I forget) which didn't sit too well with me. I'm not sure the COG discount of $5 per room means much when they charge a resort fee. The only alternatives would be in Kerrville and although most venues there have outdoor seating areas for socializing, I doubt many have outdoor wood fireplaces (probably gas) that we could monopolize. Food service would probably be at local restaurants with individual checks, but if we get enough people and if we stay at the Y.O. or Inn of the Hills we may be able to get an in house dinner catered.

Anyway depending on how much feedback I get and discussion is generated, the very tentative plan is to have the 2024 Wildflower on March 22-24 and at River Inn.

Looking forward to your input. Obviously those I have seen at past Wildflower events opinions would carry a little more weight than those that have never attended. Those that wish to share their opinions via PM... er.... forum private conversation instead of out in the open, need not worry that I will quote them or have their identities made known to others.

Please let me know your thoughts and suggestions before October 2023...Thanks, Marty
March 22-24 2024 is fine for me Marty

Hi Marty

Good to see you planning this far ahead and the Solar eclipse and Easter are definitely immovable conflicts. I am fine with earlier in March, I think the flowers are in better shape at that time anyway. I like River Inn despite their resort fee, would not be the same socializing in a hotel parking lot.

Steve

FYI, Northern Arkansas will be in the full eclipse zone this time and we're expecting lots of visitors.

March works for me. I’ll start saving now for the extra Resort Fee provided I get a shower head that produces more than 1 ml per minute. 😂

March works for me. I’ll start saving now for the extra Resort Fee provided I get a shower head that produces more than 1 ml per minute. 😂
I stay in lots of hotels for work and as weird as it sounds I bring my own shower head and a pair of channel locks in my luggage at all times . Even the best hotels sometimes have really bad shower heads 😅

The March date would be better for me also. I have only attended once and the venue was nice but I am still new to Texas and different places to explore are nice for me.

.... as weird as it sounds I bring my own shower head and a pair of channel locks in my luggage at all times.
Naaaahhhh...perfectly normal, I'm sure we all do that. o_O

Anyway it seems like earlier than usual is good and most want to continue on at the River Inn as in the past...so I'll have more info after I contact the venue and the room owners have finished their selections. I'm thinking a COG prepared Italian dinner for Friday night and the usual ****ey's BBQ supplied dinner for Saturday night.

I hope some dual members (membership not required, just $) will be attending the MSTA Hill Country Rally in October '23 with me and they can let me know what the MSTA does (if anything) that we should try to incorporate into our Wildflower Rally. For one thing, they are adding a day to it this year and starting on Thursday, so that is something for us to consider, but I'm not sure of a) how many are interested in showing up a day early, and b) how much that might add to insurance costs for the weekend and any resulting increase in registration fee that might cause. I do know that Saturday usually has a lot of slower cruiser parades on the Sisters and some might prefer a Friday Sisters ride without them clogging things up and then ride some of the lesser known roads on Saturday.

fyi: https://forum.concours.org/index.ph...ountains-ride-the-twisties.56471/#post-678502

Naaaahhhh...perfectly normal, I'm sure we all do that. o_O

Anyway it seems like earlier than usual is good and most want to continue on at the River Inn as in the past...so I'll have more info after I contact the venue and the room owners have finished their selections. I'm thinking a COG prepared Italian dinner for Friday night and the usual ****ey's BBQ supplied dinner for Saturday night.

I hope some dual members (membership not required, just $) will be attending the MSTA Hill Country Rally in October '23 with me and they can let me know what the MSTA does (if anything) that we should try to incorporate into our Wildflower Rally. For one thing, they are adding a day to it this year and starting on Thursday, so that is something for us to consider, but I'm not sure of a) how many are interested in showing up a day early, and b) how much that might add to insurance costs for the weekend and any resulting increase in registration fee that might cause. I do know that Saturday usually has a lot of slower cruiser parades on the Sisters and some might prefer a Friday Sisters ride without them clogging things up and then ride some of the lesser known roads on Saturday.

fyi: https://forum.concours.org/index.ph...ountains-ride-the-twisties.56471/#post-678502
Well , now you might . Your welcome 🤣

DSC_7199_00001.jpg
Go see the eclipse if you can, yes you may have seen a partial but you missed 100% of TOTALITY! There is nothing else like it in the world.

I do believe that someday this venue will price us out, but they are still being somewhat competitive with the Y.O. Ranch Resort in Kerrville. Anyway,
I have called the River Inn and they are holding a block of rooms for us for 2024 . March 21-24 are the dates they are holding, so if you want to come a day early and ride when the sisters will be less crowded. For insurance purposes and COG food prep the official dates will be March 22-24th 2024. Two Bedrooms are $150 per night, Studios and One Bedrooms are $120 per night, there is a $25 "resort" fee per reservation and of course sales and local tax. :rolleyes: They requested that reservations be made by Jan 1 2024. I'm not sure that is all that practical for many, it used to be March 1st which seems more realistic. They will be implementing a 3% fee on credit cards starting Jan 1st...but it wouldn't surprise me if they tried to charge that at check out even if you made your reservations tomorrow. I know prices at hotels all seem to be going up since the pandemic but my frustration with this venue is reaching a breaking point.
When you call them, tell them you are with the COG group and you want a room "below the dam" unless of course you don't want to be near us in which case it would be above the dam.:unsure: Their phone number: (830)238-4226

I will announce here when COG registration will be open, but I don't think it will be before the first of the year. I expect to need $30 for food plus what ever money COG needs for insurance...so the registration fee is TBA.

Friday evening's dinner will either be pasta with meat sauce, or lasagna with salad, iced tea, and desert, Doug says we're having breakfast tacos on Saturday morning with OJ and coffee. We will be having the usual D i c kies BBQ on Saturday night.

For those that have never been to the River Inn: The rooms all have a small kitchen with stove, refrigerator, microwave, dishes, utensils. You must wash your own dishes and there is no daily maid service. Each room is individually owned and decorated. Most studios and one bedroom units can accommodate 2 independent sleepers if one of them wants to utilized the sofa bed. I think most rooms have a coffee maker but you will need to bring your own coffee and any special coffee fixin's you may need if you want in your room prepared coffee. I'll try to bring plenty for Saturday and Sunday morning.

https://www.riverinnresort.com/

2014 Photos
2019 Photos
2023 Photos

Last edited:
Thunder in the Hills rally is the same weekend in Bandera.

We seemed to coexist with them a few years ago - 2021?

Thunder in the Hills rally is the same weekend in Bandera.

We seemed to coexist with them a few years ago - 2021?
They seemed to concentrate on Thunder in Bandera rather than in the Hills, at least from what I saw a few years ago. Hopefully they will stay near the beer and wet t shirt contests and not venture out of their group compound too much. 🤞

However, it makes arriving on Thursday more attractive so that Friday is available to ride the sisters with less slow pokes in your way, and then ride the less popular roads on Saturday.

I love passing Harleys
Well, don't we all. ;)
However, when there are 20 of them and they do the accordion thing into and out of curves it really gets difficult to do it all in one pass (which admittedly is the most fun) and jumping into the middle of their pack is worse than following them (much more annoyingly loud).

I am thinking of reducing some of the Concours stuff I have around. I could try to sell some of this stuff on the forum but that is so much work. I could also give it away. I will let items go free to anyone in COG that wants it and I don't have to pack and send to.

I am starting with anyone coming to the WF rally. Most are not bike friendly and you may need the cage to get it home.

Used Traction Dynamics cartridge fork rebuild tools.
Chalk Dust mainly for C10
HF tire changer with MC attachment. **
Stock Windshield **
Stock Potato launcher **
All the Concouier magazines I have gotten for about 16 years. Great for the bathroom reader. **
** = (Only if Leslie brings the car to WF or must be picked up in Austin)

Looking forward to seeing y'all next month. I have reserved a room with 2 beds and my guest had to cancel. If anyone is interested in sharing a room, I have a bed available. The room is above the dam, so it will be a short walk to the location for the group gatherings. PM me if you are interested.

TCARS

so I have a question... that I think I know the answer to, but im going to ask anyways.

Would it be 'faux pas' to come on my Z900RS Cafe.... instead of my Connie ?

I really want to use the ZG, but we are about a month away- and its just not looking good for me having everything done on it.
-Rob

so I have a question... that I think I know the answer to, but im going to ask anyways.

Would it be 'faux pas' to come on my Z900RS Cafe.... instead of my Connie ?

I really want to use the ZG, but we are about a month away- and its just not looking good for me having everything done on it.
-Rob

No it would not. I've attended on my DR650. I'm looking forward to seeing your Z900.
I'm doing the faux pas thing this year in attending in my PT Loozer. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Great. Thats what I thought, but I wanted to make sure.
Although I've never been a C10 guy, I'm sure we'd all enjoy a progress report and some photos of what you've done so far on your connie. So before you leave with the house with the Z900, please blow the dust off of the C10 and take some photos of it to share around the outdoor fireplace. (y);):)

Just want to inform all arriving Thursday I am planning chorizo and egg 🌮 for breakfast Friday morning. All are Invited. I would like to get a head count if possible for all interested so that I have enough supplies for Fri morn. Saturday mornings menu is bacon and sausage 🌮 OJ and coffee are planned for all attendees. To reply for Fri. breakfast Text me
@ 832-595 4670
C'ya Thursday
Doug Meister

Last edited:
I still have an extra bed available if there are any last minute attendees looking for a place to stay.

See y'all next week.

As mentioned above by Doug, there will be breakfast on Saturday morning, also we will be having a Lasagna dinner on Friday evening and BBQ dinner on Saturday evening. $30 is the suggested food donation per person. I request that those not wishing to participate in consumption of the provided food and those with religious, medical or other dietary restrictions please make it known to me (forum "conversation" aka PM works) so we don't purchase too much food and/or can make some dietary alternative available.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Below is a link to some .gpx routes for loading into your GPS. The Three Sisters (FM336, FM337, FM335) are of course included, but they can get crowded on Saturdays so other area roads/routes have been provided. Additionally, many enjoy riding Highway 16 between Bandera and Kerrville as well as the southern portion of Highway 55 between Barksdale and Rocksprings. (no specific .gpx files for those, but I'll have a Butler map available to examine at the venue.)

The usual disclaimers apply: ride at your own risk, wear adequate safety gear including a helmet, these routes are just suggestions for your consideration, and you realize that there may be errors, that the routes may not have been ridden recently or ever, there may be obstacles and hazards not restricted to pot holes, pavement damage, interruption of pavement, gravel, livestock, wildlife, pets, pedestrians, grass clippings, spilled oil, etc. You may follow another rider but the other rider is not your "GUIDE", you are just following them and YOU are responsible for your own safety at all times!

Clicking on the link below means you have read the text above and below and understand it and agree to it.

Link: ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attachments

• disclaimer.jpg
    disclaimer.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Robert and I made it back to our home bases approx 1330. We sure had a great time seeing old friends and a couple of new ones. Hope everyone had a safe trip home and had a good time this weekend. Thanks Marty for hosting the Wildflower one last time. Thanks for all the years of service to the Club and South Central members.
Doug Meister

Made it home. The hardest 275 miles in my life. 30 to 50 mph cross winds port or starboard 90% of the way and head winds with blowing dust 1/4 mile visibility the last 25 miles home. Other than that i had a great weekend visiting with everyone. Thanks Marty it was wonderfull as usual.

Lovelle
COG 4446

I made it home safely again. Round trip and rally rides was about 2K miles. First and last days were 11 1/2 hours each way. Pretty good warm up for the riding season.
Had a great time as usual, visiting and riding with old friends and meeting a few new ones.
Huge thanks to Marty for hosting and to Doug and Robert for fixing breakfast for us.
Hope everyone stays safe. Look forward to seeing y'all again next year, if not before.

Thanks to the rally team - Marty, Doug & Robert for organizing and cooking for all the group.

A little windy on the way home. 1,330 miles total for the weekend.

Adios until next time.

Thanks to everybody over the last 10 years for your great assistance and support!

Very many have been helpful over the years, and I'm not sure if I should list those that have
greatly exceeded my expectations by name or not.
I'll probably leave somebody out...apologies in advance, please forgive my aging memory,
in alphabetical order:
Fred Boothe, Craig Green, Robert Holder, Doug Meister, Troy Minton, Butch Youngblood.
Thanks to Fred Harmon for helping me get my first year off the ground.
Thanks to Steve Macha for taking things over next year with our assistance. 👏(y)🫡

If for some reason Steve will be unable to host or attend, Robert Holder has generously agreed to supply PB&J Uncrustables (grape or strawberry) and some Hawaiian Punch for dinner.:LOL:

Photo Link: https://fartymarty.smugmug.com/COG-2024-Wildflower-Rally/n-HZGsMb
Photos with RH in the lower right corner are courtesy of Robert Holder.

I hope somebody took some photos of the wildflowers to share...there is an upload address on the title page of the photos, or just here on the forum.

i-rHG7kBc-M.jpg

i-2jRZBrL-M.jpg

I really hate to admit this, but Marty, ya did good!
Muchas thanky for all of your hard work.

Rife safe, Ted

Last edited:
Marty thank you so much. great event as usual. you have been a great host.

Steve, you are in some big shoes, but I will have those PB&J's ready.

And Hawiian Punch what could be better.

You kids are going to love it !

Doug and Marcel great ridiing with yall

Thanks everyone and it was great to see yall

Till next time,

Robert Holder