• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

20k Service

rvedder3

Tricycle
So I'm very quickly approaching 20k on my 86 and the suggested service interval will run me close to 1k at a shop so I'm wondering what is absolutely needed and what I may or may not be able to skip out on. I'm at 19.5k now just bought her a month ago at 16.2k since then I've done an oil and plug change to amsoil 10w40 and the iridium plugs but nothing else thus far. I'd do it all myself if I had the knowledge but am completely new to the bike so doing it on my own is not really an option right now. Any input is appreciated

Do you have any maintenance history? Normal service is every 6k, 12k, 18, 24k etc....Valve adj are not hard, I usally have someone over to help/assist/guide/do....I do mine now at 12K, but that is a decision you'll have to make.

I don't have any maintenance history although I know the dealer who the bike was purchased from and they say they did service it for the guy but don't have records into their system yet to lookup. I don't know enough to just tear it apart and check the valves without some input and a set of eyes to make sure I dont screw it up for the first go round with her. After just checking the book its 20k km not miles hows that for reading comprehension......that means I'm 1500miles past the 18k mile service...

probably be a wrench session in your area this fall, or host one and they will come. "If it hasn't killed me yet, it's runnin out of time" COG # 8062 AMA # 1084053 ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife

I wouldn't get too wrapped up about being over the interval. If you haven't been flogging the bike like a rented mule you should be just fine. Do you have the service manuals (Kawasaki's and/or Clymer's). If you don't, get them (both). Uou will need to do an engine oil change so you'll need oil and a filter. You'll need to either clean or replace your air filter and lubricate the chassis (requires a grease gun/grease). You will need to do a valve adjustment (got feeler guages?) and you may want to get a valve cover gasket (just in case you damage the existing one; FWIW, I still have the one I bought 10 years ago but YMMV). None of this is particularly difficult but it can be a little intimidating the first time or so. Give yourself plenty of time, take breaks when you feel you're getting frustrated and keep a positive attitude. You CAN do it. :)

thanks for the vote of confidence I don't have either manual and I wouldn't say I flogged her but she has been in the triple digits multiple times and around the twisties in the area as much as possible. The oil change was done I'll see about finding some manuals and looking into the valve check greasing the bike shouldn't be terrible. Has anyone used a K&N air filter or is it just common place to replace it with a stock one? The one in there now doesn't seem worth cleaning.

I use the K&N filters, they seem good for quality and aren't too expensive. The O-ring required a little pushing to get in (it seems a little big, diameter wise), but it works. I buy them four at a time from Amazon and just keep them in the garage. I think you're supposed to replace the filter every other oil change, but I just replace mine every time just because it seems like an affordable indulgence that certainly can't hurt.

K&N filters and the stock filter for that matter, are washable and cleanable. You don't replace them every time. You clean them and re oil them. The stock filter is supposed to be replaced about every 5th cleaning. The K&N filters are advertised as good for over 1,000,000 miles. 2003 Concours, 63K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Ditto on everything that has been said. Note though if you do the valves, read through the Concours web pages (Guy B Young) since there are ways to do it that are a lot easier than the Factory method and without prior knowledge getting the valve cover in and out is at BEST a PITA. Even with knowledge it is a bit of a pain

Holy crap -- Slybones, you are absolutely right about the K&N air filters. Reuse them! It is K&N OIL filters that i replace every time. My mistake!!

Rudy, I'm back from the Nationals if you want a hand with it. Let me know, we're easy to find and usually only charge double what the dealers do ;) (seriously, we're here if you need it.) http://www.millerized.com I'll be in the garage
welder.gif
COG 6425, CDA 111 a through g